FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

incendia May 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22848097)
I'm looking for some data points from others who use this card:
1. How do you use these cards? Simply load/unload? Or do you make a few small purchases as well?
2. For those who only load/unload - any peep out of Amex?
3. Have you ever loaded/unloaded in the same day? Results?

Thanks. Trying to get an idea of acceptable usage for this card.

3. No issues so far, remember that you load $1000 and unload $400 (via ATM)

anthracite May 11, 2014 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 22843762)
I got mine in the store at Cheltenham (NW section), but that was a couple years ago. I'll probably be there this week if you want me to check.

I'll be up that way later in the week, so if you don't mind check it out.

Zooter May 12, 2014 6:48 am

New rolling load limits?

I've recently loaded almost $6k across my two cards in less than 28 days. It was by accident as I erroneously though the limits were by calendar month.

I loaded $2k or close to it (split between the 2 cards) each day on 4/13, 4/29, and 5/5 but was denied on 5/10 and customer service said I could load again on 5/11, 28 days from my 4/13 load.

Customer service even told me the limit was $5k every 28 days (in line with the wiki) but it wasn't until I hung up that I checked my transaction logs and saw that I had somehow managed to load in excess of the limits.

Anyone else have this experience?

Tuppins May 12, 2014 7:48 am

I'm looking for some data points from others who use this card:
1. How do you use these cards? Simply load/unload? Or do you make a few small purchases as well?
2. For those who only load/unload - any peep out of Amex?
3. Have you ever loaded/unloaded in the same day? Results?

Thanks. Trying to get an idea of acceptable usage for this card.

Originally Posted by incendia (Post 22848463)
3. No issues so far, remember that you load $1000 and unload $400 (via ATM)

Yup, thanks. I've had two of the cards for a month, so I'm aware of the load/unload cycle and amounts. I'm just trying to get a handle on how obvious I can be about what I'm doing. My guess is that they're happy to charge me $3 per withdrawal, if that's all I want to do.

lmagnott May 12, 2014 9:49 am

Originally Posted by newuser0 (Post 22843627)
Hello guys,

I just now got my Amex for Target Card. It was really a hard time, as my nearest Target store is 100 Miles away. I went to city to meet a friend, and along by got this card.

The used my DL Scan and my DL has my OLD house address. But my Credit Reports, Amex CC Address and all has NEW HOME ADDRESS.

Just now I have logged in and it said, we are still verifying your identity.
Do you guys think my Identity verification will FAIL? or should I call Amex and update my NEW ADDRESS before they verify or can I change this after I get the card?

Just out of curiosity, are you planning to drive 100 miles 3x a month to load it from now on?

In any case, I was in the same situation recently, and I just registered my card online shortly after purchasing it and changed the address through the website. I was able to load/unload after 48 hours, and I just got the permanent card in the mail today.

VizeL May 12, 2014 9:53 am

Originally Posted by lmagnott (Post 22851044)
Just out of curiosity, are you planning to drive 100 miles 3x a month to load it from now on?

In any case, I was in the same situation recently, and I just registered my card online shortly after purchasing it and changed the address through the website. I was able to load/unload after 48 hours, and I just got the permanent card in the mail today.

About how many days did it take from purchase to received in mail?

ericdabbs May 12, 2014 10:14 am

What is the purpose of this card again?

kjgco May 12, 2014 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 22851164)
What is the purpose of this card again?

For those with access to a free/low cost ATM, it can be a reasonable alternative/supplement to the GC/MO route.

lmagnott May 12, 2014 10:54 am

Originally Posted by VizeL (Post 22851065)
About how many days did it take from purchase to received in mail?

Just under 2 weeks.

iahphx May 12, 2014 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by MDJennings (Post 22842814)
In the end, she had to manually split tender into three different $200 charges (one for each card). Anyone else experience this?

I tried again this week to just run my $200 cards, and it didn't work: they had to split the tender. But I've been doing this at Customer Service, and they seem quite chill with it. A heck of a lot friendlier (and helpful) than what happens when I go to Walmart.

Haleyb May 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Zooter (Post 22850231)
I've recently loaded almost $6k across my two cards in less than 28 days. It was by accident as I erroneously though the limits were by calendar month.

I loaded $2k or close to it (split between the 2 cards) each day on 4/13, 4/29, and 5/5 but was denied on 5/10 and customer service said I could load again on 5/11, 28 days from my 4/13 load.

Customer service even told me the limit was $5k every 28 days (in line with the wiki) but it wasn't until I hung up that I checked my transaction logs and saw that I had somehow managed to load in excess of the limits.

Anyone else have this experience?

Yes. It seems to allow a full $1,000 load so long as you are below the limit before you do the load. So if you have $4k loaded so far across two cards you can load just under $1k to the first one and then $1k to the second card.

It seems to be the case that as long as you are below the limit of 5k it will let you load a card for a full 1k. I tend to do $997 loads with $1000 Prepaid AmEx cards.

The wiki already overwhelms people, so I have not put that tip in. I also don't mention the AmEx gift cards that make this an easy zero cost or money maker. That's just because I'm mean ;)

Haleyb May 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by MDJennings (Post 22842814)
Here's an update:

Tried it again today and ran into the same issue while trying to load $600 using three Vanilla MC gift cards. It kept declining the charge since it appeared it was trying to take the full $603 from a $200 card. The cashier was especially nice so I handed over the gift card. She looked at it, said it could be run as credit, and also said "I don't know why this isn't working. Since it's a gift card that is credit, it should just take the whole $200 and then ask for another one."

In the end, she had to manually split tender into three different $200 charges (one for each card). Anyone else experience this?

Yes.

That happens. I'm not sure why. However it will not matter what amount they try to take from the card so long as it is equal to or more than the value on your gift card, it will just drain and then prompt for another form of payment.

I'm finding it goes faster if I ask for a split tender. I think cashiers that have been around awhile just know how to make it work, but if you ask for split tender it always works.

incendia May 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Haleyb (Post 22854389)
Yes. It seems to allow a full $1,000 load so long as you are below the limit before you do the load. So if you have $4k loaded so far across two cards you can load just under $1k to the first one and then $1k to the second card.

It seems to be the case that as long as you are below the limit of 5k it will let you load a card for a full 1k. I tend to do $997 loads with $1000 Prepaid AmEx cards.

The wiki already overwhelms people, so I have not put that tip in. I also don't mention the AmEx gift cards that make this an easy zero cost or money maker. That's just because I'm mean ;)

I tried today and it didn't work. I loaded 4500 in less then 28days when I tried to load 1k the cashier said no go

Tuppins May 13, 2014 7:42 am

It seems to be the case that as long as you are below the limit of 5k it will let you load a card for a full 1k.

Originally Posted by incendia (Post 22854705)
I tried today and it didn't work. I loaded 4500 in less then 28days when I tried to load 1k the cashier said no go

There may be an issue with "total card balances" at the time of the attempted laod as well as "amount loaded in the past 28 days" since there are rules pertaining to both. Hard to say, but maybe experiment with that...

italdesign May 13, 2014 11:25 am

Can anyone recommend a surcharge-free ATM other than Star One/Co-op? I'm not having much luck with those around here, which are either restricted access or not open during normal hours.