FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Amazon Payments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1144591-amazon-payments.html)

f0xx Mar 27, 2014 10:06 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22597994)
Note to self - don't constantly send $1k. Got it. Thanks. (And sorry that they shut you down after so much time.)

Are you meaning don't take advantage of the full $1K or are you saying split the transaction?

I always split mine and no issues here. Always a different amount every month.

DINYC Mar 27, 2014 10:28 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22597994)
Note to self - don't constantly send $1k. Got it. Thanks. (And sorry that they shut you down after so much time.)

Happy to help. But note I never actually send the $1000. I would send anywhere between $920 and $990 every month. The actual amount was randomly generated. Never more than $990. There were several months when I would also split the transaction into two or even three but the total would always come to something between $920 and $990.

f0xx Mar 27, 2014 10:31 am

Looks like the Bezos tribe is head hunting again.

ericdabbs Mar 27, 2014 10:43 am

Originally Posted by f0xx (Post 22598234)
Are you meaning don't take advantage of the full $1K or are you saying split the transaction?

I always split mine and no issues here. Always a different amount every month.

I say both. I usually split my $1K up into 2 transactions with different amounts. Also I try not to actually hit the $1K cap. I strive for like $980 or $990 or something like that.

hitman1420 Mar 27, 2014 10:44 am

People, if you really want to be safe, you should ONLY send ~$10-$100 bucks a month. It'd also work better if you skip AP outright for a couple months every now and then just to throw them off.

GTFan Mar 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Yep I only use AP to hit min spend for certain cards not to get another 1-2% every month, so I only max out our $1ks maybe half the year.

But as seen in this thread there's not much of a pattern as to how and when you'll get shutdown.

2RETIREDTRAVELERS Mar 27, 2014 1:07 pm

How long was it after your most recent transaction?

Originally Posted by DINYC (Post 22597843)
Amazon blocked my account last week. I have been doing AP for over 2 years now and have been always very careful. Always used this structure: A -> B -> C -> A (3 different people, different credit card and bank accounts). Never had a problem with AP before last week. They called me to inform that the account is now blocked. They refused initially to elaborate why it was blocked. They did tell me that the payment paten over 24 months suggests that I am just trying to collect miles. They wouldn’t elaborate of how they arrived to this conclusion but as we talked the woman on the phone said something interesting – she said that I have been using 90% of my credit card payment limit every month since I started using Amazon payments. It seems that the % of the credit card payment limit used is a factor Amazon uses to flag folks doing MS. In my case the block is permanent so it is a bit too late but maybe for the rest of you this info would be helpful.

Sorry to hear you got shutdown. How long was it after your most recent transaction till you received the call about being blocked?

commdiver Mar 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by DINYC (Post 22597843)
Amazon blocked my account last week. I have been doing AP for over 2 years now and have been always very careful. Always used this structure: A -> B -> C -> A (3 different people, different credit card and bank accounts). Never had a problem with AP before last week. They called me to inform that the account is now blocked. They refused initially to elaborate why it was blocked. They did tell me that the payment paten over 24 months suggests that I am just trying to collect miles. They wouldn’t elaborate of how they arrived to this conclusion but as we talked the woman on the phone said something interesting – she said that I have been using 90% of my credit card payment limit every month since I started using Amazon payments. It seems that the % of the credit card payment limit used is a factor Amazon uses to flag folks doing MS. In my case the block is permanent so it is a bit too late but maybe for the rest of you this info would be helpful.

Thank you for the heads up. I will start sending payments of $899 now (<90 of limit).

JWEMTX Mar 28, 2014 8:41 am

@AlohaDaveKennedy

Thanks for the PM. I tried to reply back but your inbox is full.

cdancer20 Mar 28, 2014 8:49 am

Dang. I messed up my monthly AP. I was doing all transfers at one time, using Amex GC to liquidate on one acct. I sent A->B but when I went to send from B, I sent the AP balance instead of with the credit card :-( So now I am down a transfer method.

f0xx Mar 28, 2014 8:52 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22604311)
Dang. I messed up my monthly AP. I was doing all transfers at one time, using Amex GC to liquidate on one acct. I sent A->B but when I went to send from B, I sent the AP balance instead of with the credit card :-( So now I am down a transfer method.

Ouch. :td:
Good thing April is right around the corner.

ericdabbs Mar 28, 2014 9:26 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22604311)

this made my day....:D. Its ok you just needed to pop your AP virgin cherry.

cdancer20 Mar 28, 2014 9:58 am

Originally Posted by f0xx (Post 22604337)
Ouch. :td:
Good thing April is right around the corner.

Yea. Plus I was trying to use it to get my sister the $50 Serve deposit. Which I originally read ended on 3/31/14 but I believe it's June.

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 22604543)
this made my day....:D. Its ok you just needed to pop your AP virgin cherry.

Haha. Yea. I'm still quite inexperienced in this area.

f0xx Mar 28, 2014 9:59 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22604764)
Yea. Plus I was trying to use it to get my sister the $50 Serve deposit. Which I originally read ended on 3/31/14 but I believe it's June.

Haha. Yea. I'm still quite inexperienced in this area.

If you ever have questions.
Shoot me a PM.

UA Fan Mar 28, 2014 10:19 am

If we keep the funds in the AP account longer, it will help AP increase float and reduce the possibility of shutdowns and/or fees being added. I think the benefit AP gets from all this is float right?