Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines new alcohol policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:12 pm

In the October issue of Business Traveller Asia, a reader wrote about this MH policy. What chuckled me was MH's rather amusing response.

"As part of our ongoing efforts to balance the needs of all customers, we will from time to time update our services. We are the flag carrier for a diverse and multi-faith nation and in response to the preference of the majority of customers, we no longer serve alcoholic beverages for flights less than three hours.

As flights less than three hours primarily comprise of customers originating from Malaysia, this policy would be welcomed. On flights over three hours, we have a broader profile of customers and to cater to this profile, alcoholic beverages will continue to be served..."

[bold, mine]

What utter b*llocks.

Shrouding a cost control measure under religious preferences is nonsensical.

Shouldn't the fact that MH being the carrier of a "diverse and multi faith nation" respect the desire of minority faiths that do not have a negative bias over alcohol?

If a Muslim person prefers not to be served alcohol then don't ask for it, but at the same time don't deny the preference of other passengers who have equally paid for their flight tickets.

And who actually "welcomed" this policy?! I've been on mid-haul flights where the majority are Malay (and presumed Muslim) passengers, who have been guzzling wine and champagne way more than I did.

Hence I'm not sure where MH got their official "it's a preference of our [Muslim] customers, so we stopped it" storyline from?!
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You'd be a natural for top tier at Hyatt.
I am better than that
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Globalist
Who needs alcohol on board when enjoying a free flow of champagne in the first class lounge.

3 hour transit before flying to Seoul.
Really have to watch it now before overdoing it

globalist
Looks familiar...
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Until yesterday I hadn't flown MH since May.

To my surprise, I was delighted that I was offered Champagne on the ground pre-takeoff at LHR. I don't know if this is also in biz, I would think it is. Champagne offered at this time was Duval-Leroy, I assume this was what was on the Biz wine list.

Here's the F wine list, notable in that it has three whites, four reds and a dessert wine. If memory serves me right (ISTBC), back in May there were only two whites and two reds on this route in F: perhaps they've done what EK do and add the Biz wine list to the First Class wine list.

However, on my LHR-KUL on MH3 one of the two shiraz wasn't loaded, and neither was the Sauternes, nor was there any Port. Maybe it'll be better on my return on MH2 today. Having a reisling is welcome to go with the spicy food.

Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: LH M&M (SEN); TG ROP GOLD
I asked a cabin crew on my last flight....

Is this a cost cutting measure or a nod to religious elements? The answer was : cost cutting.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Either go dry or serve like normal. This kind of consistent inconsistency always bothers me.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Howard Long
Looks familiar...
^

I will taste it again in 4 weeks when I fly to ICN again.

Globalist
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
KUL-MNL , KUL-ICN , KUL-LHR and KUL-Australia are flights > 3hours so still get alcohol, and a champagne in Business.

Version of champagne was pleasant/drinkable on my June/July2016 flights, but August was changed and so unpalatable I could not drink it , even if 50/50 Bucks Fixx with OJ

Guessing/Hoping a 3month MH winelist rotation like KLM, SQ etc

Please Please Please tell me the MH flights champagne for Nov2016 has changed since the undrinkable rubbish champers introduced in August.

I have MNL-KUL-LHR J rtn starting middle of this comming week w/c 13/nov week !

ps
Thaiair BKK-MNL last 2-trips Oct + Nov is a nice Veuve Cliquot
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Yesyes but Aer Lingus does not even have F or an premium cabin till recently.
I flew Aer Lingus Buisness class, LHR to Cork around 25 years ago !
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Globalist
Who needs alcohol on board when enjoying a free flow of champagne in the first class lounge.

3 hour transit before flying to Seoul.
Really have to watch it now before overdoing it

globalist
Perhaps people who dont have time to go to the lounge, or prefer to have a dring, at a time of their own choosing !
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Your attention please, if anyone has found a sense of humor, please return this to the concierge desk immediately as it has clearly wandered off.

Have a nice day

Last edited by Globalist; Nov 21, 2016 at 12:45 am
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You'd be a natural for top tier at Hyatt.
Spot on.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
They still seem to serve alcohol on the HK flights (which is consistent with the policy described above) but I was mentally prepared for the fact that my BKK flight at the end of last year would be dry. And my mind started wandering, along these lines...

There are security scanners at the gate. So no chance of getting through with a can of beer. And I can't realistically buy something less than 100ml (I don't drink spirits any more). But the human body is mostly made of water, and the body scanners are designed to detect metal, not glass or plastic. So if I got a quarter-bottle or half-bottle of wine, and instead of putting it in my carry-on shoved it down the front of my trousers, the body scanner probably won't detect it.

Apparently, my analysis is completely correct
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: UL, TG
Hi,

Do MH serve alcohol on all flights over 3 hours or only at certain times of the day?

I have a flight MNL-KUL departing 0640 and always enjoy having a glass of champagne or mimosa with breakfast, is that possible?

Also as mentioned above, any idea on the current regional champagne served on MH?
Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Narongsuk
Hi,

Do MH serve alcohol on all flights over 3 hours or only at certain times of the day?

I have a flight MNL-KUL departing 0640 and always enjoy having a glass of champagne or mimosa with breakfast, is that possible?

Also as mentioned above, any idea on the current regional champagne served on MH?
Many thanks in advance.
There will be no booze on that flight. I had the exact same flight last week and it was a dry one. You can top of in the lounge before with some lower shelf wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.