Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
"Malaysia's military has traced what could have been the jetliner missing for almost five days to an area near India's Andaman and Nicobar islands, hundreds of miles from its last known position, the country's air force chief said on Wednesday."

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...12&id=17422467
please correct this from "has traced" to "has seen a possible radar trace"
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:44 am

Oh wow.....

Already unhappy with Malaysia Airlines (MAS) over its handling of the crisis involving missing passenger jet MH370, the families of the Chinese passengers are now fuming after being sent to India instead of Kuala Lumpur.

The airline reportedly messed up in transit at the Hong Kong International Airport and flew the families, who are anxious to learn about what happened to their relatives onboard the plane, to India, according to Singapore online media site STOMP.

They were sceptical of what they could achieve by traveling all the way to Malaysia when the press conferences in Beijing had given them no information about their missing loved ones.

For the 10% that decided to take up MAS' offer to go to Kuala Lumpur, they received a rude shock when they ended up in India.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/m...arriving-in-in
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
"Malaysia's military has traced what could have been the jetliner missing for almost five days to an area near India's Andaman and Nicobar islands, hundreds of miles from its last known position, the country's air force chief said on Wednesday."

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...12&id=17422467
Interestingly that article also says that Thailand and Indonesia have confirmed that they didn't pick up anything unusual on their radar systems.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by MANman
please correct this from "has traced" to "has seen a possible radar trace"
The original Reuters article uses "has traced" - http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2701720140312 . I'm not technically proficient enough to know whether the distinction you call out calls for amendment.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by exilencfc
Interestingly that article also says that Thailand and Indonesia have confirmed that they didn't pick up anything unusual on their radar systems.
It has been reported that India has some pretty high powered radar on the Nicobar Islands, so if, and that is a big if, the radar contact 200nm off the coast of Penang is legitimate, it apparently did not make it much further.

I know we are getting into increasingly more bizarre theories at this point, but I find it much less likely that the plane flew all the way across the Malaysian peninsula without any trace than a scenario in which the plane crashed somewhere in the GoT and failed to deposit much debris for whatever reason.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: FB Gold
The original Reuters article uses "has traced" - http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2701720140312 . I'm not technically proficient enough to know whether the distinction you call out calls for amendment.
sorry if I sounded rude! It's not technical - to me "traced" sounds like they found it. located it, which they did not.
... but I guess they mean traced as in "traced its route"

Last edited by MANman; Mar 12, 2014 at 7:00 am
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
sorry if I sound rude! It's not technical - to me "traced" sounds like they found it. located it, which they did not.
Not rude at all, don't worry With all the confusing and conflicting information surrounding the flight, subtleties of individual words mean even more than usual.

The article does go on to say "Malaysian air force chief Rodzali Daud told a news conference that an aircraft was plotted on military radar at 2:15 a.m., 200 miles northwest of Penang Island off Malaysia's west coast."
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
sorry if I sound rude! It's not technical - to me "traced" sounds like they found it. located it, which they did not.
The contact that they had was only via primary radar - i.e. traditional send radar signal/get return. The contact did not have a transponder active, so there is no definitive way to say if it was MH 370, a private plane, a glitch, some birds, etc.

Without knowing the quality of their radar installation and the software installed that screens radar contacts, it's really hard to say what we should make of the contact.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:04 am

What do you guys make of the news posted earlier about a dead body wearing a life jacket found in the area of the Malacca Strait?

"The Beijing News has reported that a source claiming to be local volunteer assisting in the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has found a dead body wearing a lifejacket in an area of the Malacca Strait. In a single-paragraph report, the website of the Chinese-language newspaper said that it was seeking to establish the reliability of the claim."

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-s...00154&cid=1103
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:10 am

This might be overly optimistic but if they really are that far, it might be possible that the passengers are still alive. Maybe they did a water landing.

Originally Posted by tsmith12
What do you guys make of the news posted earlier about a dead body wearing a life jacket found in the area of the Malacca Strait?

"The Beijing News has reported that a source claiming to be local volunteer assisting in the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has found a dead body wearing a lifejacket in an area of the Malacca Strait. In a single-paragraph report, the website of the Chinese-language newspaper said that it was seeking to establish the reliability of the claim."

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-s...00154&cid=1103
They should check the markings on the life vest to see if its from an aircraft or a ship/boat.

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Meanwhile, a person from NZ says he spotted the plane crashing into the water: http://twitpic.com/dy1qmm

What do you expert flyers think?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by maortega15
They should check the markings on the life vest to see if its from an aircraft or a ship/boat.
Maybe if they didn't waste 5 days they would actually find survivors....
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:16 am

This might be far fetched, but searching anywhere within the maximum distance the a/c could have gone with the amount of fuel on board should be considered. That means from the Indian subcontinent to as far as Guam.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:19 am

And it seems that Vietnamese ATC did not follow proper protocol. They didn't notify search till hours later. They should've notified SAR immediately once they declared the flight missing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.