Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Ikaz
I managed to access it and tried to make a couple of screen shots, here is a zoom:

(Click to enlarge)

And the normal view is here

Unfortunetly this looks more like 2 boats to me...

(Other than that, Tomnod is working a lot better here tonight, I am using Chrome and it is fluid, not like yesterday where it was taking minutes to load a square)
Looks like two ships doing STS
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ashkale
Just out of curiosity Boeing's complete silence on this matter is deafening..
What do you expect

There are ZERO facts to comment on except one missing plane @:-)

And no, I'm NOT defending Boeing, just reiterating facts.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ashkale
Just out of curiosity Boeing's complete silence on this matter is deafening..
Actually, I think that it's a good example for more people and organizations (especially news organizations) to follow. Since we don't really have any info, there is really nothing to say other than baseless speculation. I'm sure that we'll hear from Boeing once we know what happened.

The 777 is an aircraft with an enviable record. Of the three hull losses in its approximately 20 years of flying, only one is possibly attributable to Boeing (MS 667). BA 38 was a problem with the engines (RR Trent 800 series) and OZ 214 was pilot error.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
TDB is wrong -- As I mentioned earlier, there are at least three scenarios in which the crew could have been incapacitated and the plane could have maintained level flight for a long time.

Read the Wikipedia entry about Helios Airways Flight 522. Ground crews set that plane's pressurization system to "manual" in order check for a leak, then forgot to reset the system to "auto". The plane took off, a lack of oxygen incapacitated the crew, and then the plane flew on autopilot until it ran out of fuel.
How do you explain the transponder being turned off then?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by yannix
+1. Everyone just wants instant answers or anything for that matter. Everyone just needs to chill out. We won't know anything conclusive for a while.

I've seen firsthand during natural disasters where reporters are desperate for a news piece and would be seen interviewing some low ranking police officer. It then would be published as a local "official" being quoted with saying <insert information/clue here>. That story would then be picked up by major news outlet which would lead people to believe that it's fact.
True, given the 24 hr news cycle driven by cable news as well as social media, people demand instant (and unrealistic) answers. You are spot on in that we won't know more details for a while.

That being said, some blame can also be attributed to Malaysian authorities. They didn't organize their release of information or public relations very well. Some of this may be understandable given their lack of experience dealing with the scale of such an air disaster. However, it also does not excuse some of their poor management and delays releasing information either.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
777 "Black" Box question

How much data can the "black" Boxes on the 777-200 store?

If the plane flew for 5 - 7 hours after the transponder went dark, would the data from the incident be overwritten?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by iadp
Your second link is broken "404". Is it 11071 or 10167? Maybe take screenshots and post that to imgur or your fav image sharing site.

Tomnod is struggling again tonight to serve up pages
Sorry, it is both 11071 and 10167. Also, 11506

Originally Posted by AMflier

If the plane flew for 5 - 7 hours after the transponder went dark, would the data from the incident be overwritten?
Transponder should not affect the operation of the black box. They are separate systems.

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Per Sina, Vietnam will suspend aerial search until the Malaysia government provides further clarification on the flight path of MH370.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
~From The Guardian
China search broadened to land areas
China now appear to be expanding the search zone to include land areas as well, according to Reuters. This is the first time the scope of the search has officially included land masses.

China’s air force will add two planes to the search for a missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner, the country’s civil aviation chief said on Wednesday, adding that search and rescue efforts would be broadened to include land areas.

Li Jiaxiang, chairman of the Civil Aviation Adiministration of China, made the comments on the sidelines of China’s annual parliament.

In one of the most baffling mysteries in recent aviation history, a massive search operation has so far found no trace of the aircraft days after it disappeared carrying 239 passengers and crew. (Reporting by Shen Yan and Michael Martina)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Transponder should not affect the operation of the black box. They are separate systems.
Understood. My question concerns how much data the black boxes hold assuming that they are operating correctly.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
I don't think thats the question. I think it's more how much data is the black box recording. That is - say it flew for another 5 hours, if the black box only records the last 30 - 60 minutes of data then we may not get any relevant data from the black box since the last 30-60 minutes would be the actual crash and not the event that caused it.

On the other hand if the black box can record 10-12 hours of data at a time before being written over it's irrelevant.

I don't know the answer to that question - I remember always hearing that the cockpit data recorder only recorded the last 30 minutes of audio but don't know if that's changed.

Originally Posted by AMflier

NPR has a story on the black boxes. I can't post a link because I read it on the NPR app, but it should be easy to find.

The flight data recorder stores a minimum of 25 hours of information; the cockpit voice recorder stores a minimum of 2 hours of information.

ETA: try this link: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...x?sc=17&f=1001
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
TDB is wrong -- As I mentioned earlier, there are at least three scenarios in which the crew could have been incapacitated and the plane could have maintained level flight for a long time.

Read the Wikipedia entry about Helios Airways Flight 522. Ground crews set that plane's pressurization system to "manual" in order check for a leak, then forgot to reset the system to "auto". The plane took off, a lack of oxygen incapacitated the crew, and then the plane flew on autopilot until it ran out of fuel.
Isn't there any kind of cross-check on what the ground crew does? Wouldn't the pilots check on this before departure?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I don't think thats the question. I think it's more how much data is the black box recording. That is - say it flew for another 5 hours, if the black box only records the last 30 - 60 minutes of data then we may not get any relevant data from the black box since the last 30-60 minutes would be the actual crash and not the event that caused it.

On the other hand if the black box can record 10-12 hours of data at a time before being written over it's irrelevant.

I don't know the answer to that question - I remember always hearing that the cockpit data recorder only recorded the last 30 minutes of audio but don't know if that's changed.
Are you referring to the Flight Data Recorder, Cockpit Voice Recorder or both?

If you are talking about the Flight Data Recorder, it should be able to record the whole flight (it is mandated by law to record up to 25 hours of data). Even if the transponder is off, there is a whole range of parameters that the FDR monitors:

http://www.airlines.org/Pages/Flight...Recorders.aspx

Regulation amendments have mandated more capable recorders as technology has made them available. Initially, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) required that airplanes designed and "type certificated" prior to September 30, 1969, record six flight parameters: altitude; airspeed; heading; vertical acceleration; time of day; and the relative time of radio transmissions to and from air traffic controllers. Airplanes certificated after that date were required to record a total of 11 parameters, adding to the list: pitch attitude, roll attitude, longitudinal acceleration, control-column position, and engine thrust indications.

The FAA subsequently required that, after May 25, 1989, turbine-powered commercial airplanes have DFDRs capable of recording 25 hours of data. Those certificated after September 30, 1969, or manufactured after May 26, 1989, had to record 17 parameters on any flight after May 25, 1994. The six additional parameters included: pitch trim position; control wheel position; rudder pedal position; position of each thrust reverser; trailing-edge flap position; and leading-edge flap position. FAA also increased to 29 the number of parameters required in airplanes having diigital data systems, or manufactured after October 11, 1991.

Current Regulations for Flight Data Recorders

On July 17, 1997, FAA adopted the regulations to again increase the minimum number of parameters that FDRs must record. Under this "97 rule," airlines were required to modify, by August 20, 2001, airplanes manufactured before October 12, 1991, to digitally record either 18 or 22 parameters, depending on whether or not the plane was equipped with a flight data acquisition unit. By the same deadline, airlines modified newer airplanes to record 34 parameters. Airplane manufacturers modified airplanes manufactured after August 18, 2000, to record 57 parameters, and airplanes made after August 19, 2002, must record 88 parameters. These parameters are derived from scores of sensors imbedded throughout the airplane - more than 1,100 sensors are needed in some models to collect 88 parameters. Collectively, this array of sensors reads not only the status of key data items, such as altitude, but documents the overall performance of systems, including: engines; navigational aids; warning systems; hydraulic systems; electrical systems; and flight controls. Current FDRs must retain the most recent 25 hours of flight data. FAA estimated that the modifications of airplanes already in service, as required by the provisions of the "97 rule," cost the industry $309 million.

Current Capabilities of Flight Data Recorders

The net effect of the periodic upgrading of FDR regulations is that, depending on the age of the airplane, US commercial airliners currently record a minimum of 18, 22, 34, 57, or 88 data parameters. As older airplanes are retired, the lesser minimums will, in effect, expire.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Mar 11, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.