Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rifleman69
China may have found something? Anyone translate Chinese to find out what is being written along with the photos?

http://www.mod.gov.cn/hdpic/2014-03/...nt_4496593.htm
Here's the Chinese translation.

On March 11, 9.20am, after more than 40 hours and more than 1,000 nautical miles of high-speed navigation, Chinese Navy Jinggangshan reached the area within the Gulf of Thailand, where MH370 lost contact, to start SAR Operations. At 9,40am, they discovered a red life vest and dispatched rubber boats.
Nothing to report here.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:01 pm

Here's the latest from the Associated Press, which seems to try to sort some of the conflicting information about MH370's path and last known whereabouts:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/searc...-passenger-jet

The country's air force chief, Gen. Rodzali Daud, released a statement denying remarks attributed to him in a local media report saying that military radar had managed to track the aircraft turning back from its original course, crossing the country and making it to the Malacca strait to the west of Malaysia. The Associated Press contacted a high-level military official, who confirmed the remarks.

Rodzali referred to a statement he said he made March 9 in which he said the air force has "not ruled out the possibility of an air turn back" and said search and rescue efforts had been expanded to the waters around Penang Island, in the northern section of the strait.

It is possible that the radar readings are not definitive or subject to interpretation, especially if a plane is malfunctioning.

The country's civilian aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said he could neither confirm nor deny military's remarks. That suggests disagreement or confusion at the highest level over where the plane is most likely to have ended up.

"There is a possibility of an air turn back. We are still investigating and looking at the radar readings," he said Wednesday

The strait is a busy shipping lane that separates Malaysian from Indonesia's Sumatra Island.

Adding to the confusion, Indonesia air force Col. Umar Fathur said the country had received official information from Malaysian authorities that the plane was above the South China Sea, about 10 nautical miles from Kota Bharu, Malaysia, when it turned back toward the strait and then disappeared. That would place its last confirmed position closer to Malaysia than has previously been publicly disclosed.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by swag
Why are there 2 circles? What do the different circles represent?
One has to include possibilities ranging from winds aloft, fuel for reserves, etc.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:14 pm

The BBC has now picked up on General Daud's statement, reported here some hours ago:

Malaysia's air force chief has denied remarks attributed to him that a missing Malaysia Airlines plane was tracked by military radar to the Strait of Malacca, far from its planned route.

Rodzali Daud said such reports in local media were untrue, but it was possible the plane had turned back.
Vietnam, as reported previously, is scaling down its search efforts - it is too expensive and too uncertain, given the reports lead search westward and some of their aircraft have significant range limitations (e.g. one of the common helicopters they are using for SAR have a range of 300 miles).

New Zealand is another nation that has dispatched a P-3 Orion; these aircraft have a lot of loiter time and range, and the Magnetic Anomaly Detection system is some of the most sophisticated in the world. (Sorting out the metal detected - shipwrecks metal cargo containers dropped from container ships, old cars, junk etc. is the tedious job of the highly trained operators.)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
From The Guardian
"Alright, good night" - last words from missing plane
The last words from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight 370 were “Alright, good night”, according to Malaysian government officials at a meeting with relatives of passengers in Beijing. The Straits Times was at the meeting and reported on how it unfolded:

“Alright, good night” were the last heard words from the missing Malaysian Airlines (MAS) flight MH370 - which were revealed for the first time at a meeting in Beijing on Wednesday morning between the Malaysian government and Chinese relatives.

The flight then disappeared from radar screens, said Malaysia’s civil aviation officials at the meeting fronted by its envoy to China, Datuk Iskandar Sarudin, and held in a packed room with nearly 400 relatives at the Metropark Lido hotel.

Anxious and angry over their loved one’s unknown fate and lack of progress in locating the plane, the family members on Tuesday had requested for the meeting with the Malaysian government to seek answers to their questions .

Meanwhile, Time has published this moving piece about one of the Iranian men who boarded the flight with a stolen passport. His Facebook profile is public, and the last post he made in Malaysia said he was “feeling excited.”

The last status update Pouria Nourmohammadi posted onhis Facebook page indicated he was “feeling excited.” The 19-year-old Iranian had good reason to be: he was embarking on the first leg of a flight that would ultimately take him to Germany where his mother was waiting to help him begin a new life.

But his journey was tragically interrupted. His flight, Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing early Saturday morning with all 239 people on board. Nearly four days later, no trace has been found of the Boeing 777 in spite of a massive search operation conducted by at least nine countries.

Nourmohammadi had earlier hinted he would be going on a long, life-changing trip. “Because of some problems I will deactivate my account. Friends, seriously, if I’ve done any of you a bad turn, forgive me because maybe …” he posted on his Facebook page on Feb. 24.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2M, AA EP, Marriott AE
Originally Posted by SQ319
Here's the Chinese translation.

Nothing to report here.
red life vests are not typical for airplanes ...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by pferrandi
red life vests are not typical for airplanes ...
Is this another piece of news later turned out to be rumour?

So someone correct me if I'm wrong, the main SAR area remains the Gulf of Thailand and South China Sea correct? This whole Strait of Malacca business was just a misunderstanding and the main focus remain the area between Malaysia and Vietnam?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:37 pm

Wikipost last updated: 0516 UTC Weds / 2216 PDT (changes between 1700 Tues UTC and this update in blue.)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by JDiver
Wikipost last updated: 0516 UTC Weds / 2216 PDT (changes between 1700 Tues UTC and this update in blue.)
Thanks for helping to keep it up to date (JDiver and all the others who have been helping). The blue coloring is especially helpful!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:50 pm

I was just reading the wiki, and it reminded me, did they ever explain the other two people whom they initially believed to be travelling on stolen documents, but then apparently later recanted? (Or didn't. With the behaviour of the media in all of this, following what anybody actually said or didn't say has been very difficult to follow.)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I was just reading the wiki, and it reminded me, did they ever explain the other two people whom they initially believed to be travelling on stolen documents, but then apparently later recanted? (Or didn't. With the behaviour of the media in all of this, following what anybody actually said or didn't say has been very difficult to follow.)
They were asylum seekers - no links to terrorism. One had a mother in Europe hence his destination.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
No
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Ozchinois
They were asylum seekers - no links to terrorism. One had a mother in Europe hence his destination.
I was referring to the other two. At one point, they were saying that there were two more people on board with stolen european passports, both from the same country, which led us to conclude the Ukrainians further upthread, and we understood why they would be unable to confirm with the Ukrainian government at this juncture. But then all of the sudden that story just changes? Again, while I think the media has been atrocious in this whole thing, many of the Malaysian government officials have proven themselves to be lousy communicators.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I don't think thats the question. I think it's more how much data is the black box recording. That is - say it flew for another 5 hours, if the black box only records the last 30 - 60 minutes of data then we may not get any relevant data from the black box since the last 30-60 minutes would be the actual crash and not the event that caused it.

On the other hand if the black box can record 10-12 hours of data at a time before being written over it's irrelevant.

I don't know the answer to that question - I remember always hearing that the cockpit data recorder only recorded the last 30 minutes of audio but don't know if that's changed.
Further info on the avionics/monitoring set up can be found here with an explanation of AIMS.

General

The flight data recorder (FDR) receives and records the last 25 hours of data. The FDR receives the data from the DFDAF. The FDR records the data in a solid-state memory. The memory is in a crash-proof, fire-resistant container. The FDR also monitors and sends fault data to the DFDAF.

Recording Data

The AIMS digital flight data acquisition function (DFDAF) sends data on a high speed data bus (ARINC 717) to the FDR. In the FDR, the receiver processes and sends the data to the microprocessor. The microprocessor receives, processes and stores the data in a crash survival solid-state memory. Data is recorded at 128 words/second.

Data Downloading

The front mounted automatic test equipment (ATE) connector on the FDR provides a connection for:

- ATE or ramp test equipment for recorder checkouts on or off the aircraft - Data download to a portable data unit while on or off the airplane.

Non-normal Conditions

The FDR microprocessor sends these two discretes to the AIMS DFDAF:

- System status flag - Maintenance flag.

The system status flag discrete causes a system level alert. A maintenance flag discrete causes a FDR internal failure. When a FDR fails, the FDR sends both discretes. When the AIMS DFDAF receives either discrete, EICAS (PDF) shows a FLT RCDR SYS status message. The AIMS DFDAF also sends the fault data to the AIMS CMCF.

The DFDAF continuously monitors airplane status to determine when to turn on the FDR and when to transmit data to the FDR. The DFDAF turns on the FDR when any one of these occur:

- Any engine is in start mode (starter air valve switch in START position or fuel cutoff lever not in CUTOFF position) - Any engine is in the RUN mode (N1 RPM>20% or N2 RPM>20%) - The airplane is airborne (from weight on wheels card in systems cardfile).

To supply power to the FDR, the DFDAF sends a digital discrete to the electrical load management system (ELMS) power management panel. The power management panel sends a ground to energize a relay in the panel and pass power to the FDR.

Last edited by Sigwx; Mar 12, 2014 at 12:31 am
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:47 am

New Straits Times reports life raft found in waters near Port Dickson, just south of KL. There's even a photo of it.

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-co...ar-pd-1.509222

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.