Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:09 am

Simon Denyer ‏@simondenyer 15m

Malaysia military now says unidentified plot last seen on radar at 0215 am, 45 minutes after plane's transponder went dark.

Malaysia military still seeking corroboration as to whether this radar plot was MH370.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
What really puzzles me - how it happened that multiple countries (or at least Malaysian) air defense systems detected the plane and people just ignored it...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: FB Gold
I wouldn't mind betting that in times of peace, when not having a military exercise, the coastal radars are not closely watched. But they probably have recordings.
I'm no expert, but I suspect those radar installations are not so modern and not so perfect in their coverage and accuracy - but that's top secret.

It's a case of "when the tide goes out you can see who wasn't wearing a swimming costume"
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:17 am

Malaysian authorities acknowledged they don't know in which direction missing jet was heading when it disappeared - @AFP
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by invisible
What really puzzles me - how it happened that multiple countries (or at least Malaysian) air defense systems detected the plane and people just ignored it...
The chief of Air Force already mentioned that `object' is not a threat and was viewed as civilian aircraft.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:23 am

Information not in the public domain:
1. ACARS tracking data: did it also stop at the last known ATC radar contact point?
2. Military radar tracking of the aircraft after transponders went off - both positive or negative reports.

Answer to #1. They know it but describe it as "sensitive"
Answer to #2. We can only guess how cooperative, or otherwise, the various military forces are being in releasing and interpreting their radar data: what can they see? what did they see? What didn't they see? and what can't they see even if there is something there?

Last edited by MANman; Mar 12, 2014 at 4:31 am
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:24 am

Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by kakiglf
The chief of Air Force already mentioned that `object' is not a threat and was viewed as civilian aircraft.
Was there any information on the Malaysian ATC asking the military to check their screens immediately after the transponder went off? Because this seems like if the pilot(s) for whichever reason decide to go stealth all they have to do is switch the communication devices off and they fly the plane anywhere with good chances nobody would know where because ATC wouldn't see them and the military would think they are 'just another civilian aircraft out there'.

Or am I missing something?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:38 am

Wing strike causation?

Originally Posted by macguitar
Just to be clear, this thinking is pure speculation. But having (what looks like) pretty serious wing damage is something that definitely has to be considered. And totally agreed, it will undoubtedly be something they will look into.
Although the damage was to the wing tip, there could be stress at the wing root, with the wing acting as a lever.

(Remember: Torque=forceXdistance)

Could any engineering types hazard a guess at the wing root stress on a wing strike?

Originally Posted by beowl
Was there any information on the Malaysian ATC asking the military to check their screens immediately after the transponder went off? Because this seems like if the pilot(s) for whichever reason decide to go stealth all they have to do is switch the communication devices off and they fly the plane anywhere with good chances nobody would know where because ATC wouldn't see them and the military would think they are 'just another civilian aircraft out there'.

Or am I missing something?
you are not missing something, just I am not sure this scenario ever happened before.
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The Guardian now has a new live updating site: MH370 search extended into Andaman Sea - live updates. Reports of Wednesday afternoon's press conference are beginning to appear.

The wikipost has been updated.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The Guardian now has a new live updating site: MH370 search extended into Andaman Sea - live updates. Reports of Wednesday afternoon's press conference are beginning to appear.
An interesting tweet from that link:
"I think they just admitted that no one was watching their military radar"

I was imagining their military radar records are real time, but more probably they are time lapse snapshots that do not really show what is happening.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
from Transport Minister Hussein’s opening statement to the press conference:
"...The way forward is to bring more experts to analyses both the civilian and the military data, in the east or in the west, on land or in the water. "

So after 5 days they have got nothing. They still don't know where to look.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:03 am

If it continued on the path and went across Indonesia, would Indonesia pick up the plane's radar?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by penbrook
Although the damage was to the wing tip, there could be stress at the wing root, with the wing acting as a lever.

(Remember: Torque=forceXdistance)

Could any engineering types hazard a guess at the wing root stress on a wing strike?
The radar transponder went silent and radio went silent without a mayday. Furthermore no wreckage was found in that area.
It does not point to sudden physical breakup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.