Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: Krisflyer
I was watching the news and saw this:

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Natio...o-find-Boeing/

SEPANG: Bomoh Ibrahim Mat Zin held a second session of rituals on Wednesday in efforts to help locate the missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing plane.

Ibrahim, who calls himself Raja Bomoh Sedunia Nujum VIP with the title of Datuk Mahaguru, conducted the rituals at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

He was accompanied by several assistants who helped in the rituals using "Zam-Zam" water, two coconuts, a "magical" walking stick and carpet...

More info on the link. Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by mike1968
Anyone know if the British / us navy have been consulted, or know much about radar capabilities on Diego Garcia? Seems like if it was going southwesterly the end range puts it near the mid Indian Ocean islands(?)
A former pilot mentioned on Skynews I think that the plane might be in the Indian Ocean.

DG, so US Navy should be able to help out.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:07 am

Anyone know if the British / us navy have been consulted, or know much about radar capabilities on Diego Garcia? Seems like if it was going southwesterly the end range puts it near the mid Indian Ocean islands(?)
Never visited, but have done some work involving the islands, and there is some pretty serious equipment there. Most of it is pointed upwards though. I don't think there is anything that could pick MH370 up from that sort of distance, and if there is the US won't be telling anyone about it.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
Why on earth would the airplane be so off track (in the Indian Ocean?)?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Canuck2012
Why on earth would the airplane be so off track (in the Indian Ocean?)?

Made a turn back- on autopilot - enough fuel to reach India.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
If it took that westward turn and continued until it ran out of fuel, wouldn't it be in the Maldives?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by some dude
If it took that westward turn and continued until it ran out of fuel, wouldn't it be in the Maldives?
Or to the west of Maldives ... flight time is less than 5 hours to Male. Flight time to PEK is approx 6 hours.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Vietnam's equipement are rather limited in range, so after searching the immediate area close to their base, there really isn't much else they can do. However, they've got a good excuse to scale down and save face.
In fairness they've been searching hard for several days, the aircrews are probably very tired and the maintainers could probably use a rest too.

Not much the Royal Navy could do about it AFAIK. I would assume that any RN ships in the region would already have been diverted to help with the search but I haven't heard of that happening. The UK's own SAR arrangements are a bit complicated, a combination of the RN, the RAF, the Coastguard (a uniformed civilian organisation) and the RNLI lifeboats which are manned by volunteers. They system is somewhat over-stretched so it would be tricky to spare the resources even if it was considered worthwhile to contribute them.

I would imagine that the UK gov would be happy to contribute any experts and equipment that could be air-freighted out but I haven't heard of it happening and such a contribution would generally be well publicised.

Originally Posted by MANman
Didn't the Brits rent those bases to the USA?
Diego Garcia is indeed a British territory on loan to the USA but they don't actually pay rent, we originally got a discount on buying Polaris goodness knows what we get now.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by SQ319
I hate to say this, but they can work more closely together if the Malaysian authorities are more forthcoming with information. As it is right now, Vietnam has already scaled back their SAR operations because they didn't get any answer from the Malaysians. There's way too many conflicting information right now, and I'm getting frustrated with cryptic information (if any at all) from the Malaysians.

http://english.cntv.cn/20140312/101624.shtml
Where do these "widespread reports" come from?
From Chinese weibo messages only? Or has any independent news agency picked up on this?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:24 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-s...20140312000154

The Beijing News has reported that a source claiming to be local volunteer assisting in the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has found a dead body wearing a lifejacket in an area of the Malacca Strait. In a single-paragraph report, the website of the Chinese-language newspaper said that it was seeking to establish the reliability of the claim.

Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
I don't see anything in the "Aircraft Background" section of the WIKI about the 2011 Egypt Air B772 on-ground cockpit fire.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=44078aa7&opt=0 .
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:33 am

Simple Questions

Just some very basic questions here.

If the plane is on it's route, just flying along, and it makes a sharp turn to the left (or not even sharp) just changes direction. Can the flight attendants "feel" this?

Does the pilot notify them of their change of course, and the reason?

If they do not hear anything from the cockpit, do they call and ask?

What if they get no response at all?

Can they do anything?

THis is just under the assumption that the problem was in the cockpit.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by stan1162
Just some very basic questions here.

If the plane is on it's route, just flying along, and it makes a sharp turn to the left (or net even sharp) just changes direction. Can the flight attendants "feel" this?

Does the pilot notify them of their change or course and the reason normally?

If they do not hear anything from the cockpit, do they call and ask?

What if they get no response at all? Over and Over?

Can they do anything?

THis is just under the assumption that the problem was in the cockpit.

As far as I'm aware on a 777 there's an axe hidden somewhere on the plane designed for a situation where the door needs breaking down.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by tsmith12
Coastguards from India's remote Andaman and Nicobar Islands joined the airborne search on Wednesday for a missing Malaysian airliner, a senior official told Reuters.

A Dornier aircraft belonging to the coastguard set off at 2.30 p.m. local time to search the eastern side of the Andaman islands, on orders from New Delhi, said VSR Murthy, the inspector general of the coastguard service on the islands.

Reuters- India
"Malaysia's military has traced what could have been the jetliner missing for almost five days to an area near India's Andaman and Nicobar islands, hundreds of miles from its last known position, the country's air force chief said on Wednesday."

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...12&id=17422467
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: FB Gold
OK, that could be a sailor overboard.

and did you see any "widely circulated reports that it has found signals of the ill-fated flight and located the rear part of the Boeing 777 aircraft"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.