Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:12 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
+1 with DavidO's advice...The value is much better with Virtuoso. And I also believe Ritz Paris is one of the properties that is dominated by Virtuoso bookings over FHR (and others), so Virtuoso guests are higher prioritized.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by DavidO
Some points to consider:
  • a wholesaler booking is the least likely reservation to get upgraded — indeed, the likeliest to be "walked" or blocked into a "last sell room"
  • a Virtuoso booking will get you complimentary daily breakfast for two - have you priced hotel breakfasts lately?
  • you can book an Executive room (100€ less per night) at the Virtuoso rate and be upgraded into the Deluxe room you want
  • you definitely will NOT get complimentary round-trip transfers to/from the airport or train station
Question: how can a $210 nightly difference x 2 nights cost you $1000 more?

Bottom line, add up the value of the upgrade (100€ per night), 4 breakfasts (at least 200€ in value, probably more), and transfers (at least 250€), and you're giving up a lot of value ... as well as VIP treatment ... by going with a wholesaler.
Thanks, David! To address your [much appreciated] points:
  • Yes, I totally get that. However, I have been upgraded to suites in the past using Hotels.com. Also, many times, the suites are on a lower floor or are sometimes not worth it. But, this varies greatly!!
  • My girlfriend and I don't typically eat breakfast (Even when included), so I wrote this perk off.
  • I guess I don't typically factor in room upgrades unless the difference between the room is significant: Tub/Shower combo to separates, non balcony room to a balcony room, studio to a one-bedroom, etc. I don't find a room upgrade from 500sf to 590sf with all of the same features a 'true' upgrade; I don't need two sinks or a larger closet. Just my opinion.
  • Ahh! Complimentary transportation would be nice!
So, I came up with around $1,000 by:
  • Nightly Rate Savings: $210, $420 total.
  • 10% Back from Hotels.com: $261.60
  • 10x Credit Card Points by booking through Hotels.com: $261.60
In total, this is $943.20. I will definitely need shuttle service to the hotel, so I'll say that'll cost $100 max. I will be taking the train to wine country so I haven't quite figured that out, but, I can't include that. So, to play it safe, I am still saving $843....unless, I get a room upgrade that meets my criteria above. I guess for the people who have stayed at the Ritz, which room category would you recommend? I just spent a ton of money in London so I am looking to be more conservative here, but I am open to suggestions!

EDIT: Yes, if I book the executive room for $100 less per night, that still leaves me with a savings of $643. But again, what am I getting from this particular upgrade that I wouldn't have otherwise? So maybe I don't have to dock that $200 from my savings. Thoughts?

Last edited by EaglesFan0909; Jun 27, 2018 at 8:40 am
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Member

Thoughts? That was complicated and beyond my frame of reference.
offerendum and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Thoughts? That was complicated and beyond my frame of reference.
My point is, between the Executive, Deluxe and Grand Deluxe rooms, are they really worth the upgrade ($1000)? Or, do you simply get two sinks and a larger closet, and maybe an extra loveseat?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909
Thanks, David! To address your [much appreciated] points:
  • Yes, I totally get that. However, I have been upgraded to suites in the past using Hotels.com. Also, many times, the suites are on a lower floor or are sometimes not worth it. But, this varies greatly!!
  • My girlfriend and I don't typically eat breakfast (Even when included), so I wrote this perk off.
  • I guess I don't typically factor in room upgrades unless the difference between the room is significant: Tub/Shower combo to separates, non balcony room to a balcony room, studio to a one-bedroom, etc. I don't find a room upgrade from 500sf to 590sf with all of the same features a 'true' upgrade; I don't need two sinks or a larger closet. Just my opinion.
  • Ahh! Complimentary transportation would be nice!
So, I came up with around $1,000 by:
  • Nightly Rate Savings: $210, $420 total.
  • 10% Back from Hotels.com: $261.60
  • 10x Credit Card Points by booking through Hotels.com: $261.60
In total, this is $943.20. I will definitely need shuttle service to the hotel, so I'll say that'll cost $100 max. I will be taking the train to wine country so I haven't quite figured that out, but, I can't include that. So, to play it safe, I am still saving $843....unless, I get a room upgrade that meets my criteria above. I guess for the people who have stayed at the Ritz, which room category would you recommend? I just spent a ton of money in London so I am looking to be more conservative here, but I am open to suggestions!

EDIT: Yes, if I book the executive room for $100 less per night, that still leaves me with a savings of $643. But again, what am I getting from this particular upgrade that I wouldn't have otherwise? So maybe I don't have to dock that $200 from my savings. Thoughts?
I think you seem to have made up your mind! I would caution that you probably won’t get an upgrade with the Hotels.com reservation.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by United747

I think you seem to have made up your mind! I would caution that you probably won’t get an upgrade with the Hotels.com reservation.
I guess it sounds like I have, but I am really split on this! I was hoping someone could give their opinion on the rooms! Any experience?! MacMyDay strongly suggested the suites at The Connaught, which is what sold me!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I guess it sounds like I have, but I am really split on this! I was hoping someone could give their opinion on the rooms! Any experience?! MacMyDay strongly suggested the suites at The Connaught, which is what sold me!
I haven’t stayed at the Ritz, so can’t comment. But bhrubin posted something not too long ago about some site visits.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:22 pm

I would book Virtuoso for a higher category, therby maximizing likely upgrade results to yield even greater value.

I was just having a conversation with management of a good hotel that would kill for Virtuoso membership. They know those TAs bring in high quality guests, and to say they take note of that is an understatement. So there are intangible factors. You could luck into a huge upgrade if the stars aligned and they happened to need to do so for availability reasons. With Virtuoso your booking is prioritzed for that. With an OTA booking, you’re likely at or near the bottom of the hotel’s list for upgrade priority. Frankly, even within a category there can be huge differences. Some hotels have Deluxe rooms that are, for example, connecting rooms to large suites and have privileged views. They might also have Deluxe rooms of similar size that are next to the lifts and overlook garbage bins, HVAC units, or the wall of an adjacent building. Indeed, room allocation makes a tremendous difference at most hotels, even within category booked.

I don’t see the point of staying at The Ritz and leaving value on the table just to save a few hundred dollars. Penny wise, pound foolish in my view.

OTA bookings are viewed by the hotels and management as a way to simply fill any left over rooms (including last sell rooms). With Virtuoso you have a sales manager within the hotel who has a strong incentive to make you and your TA happy, to keep you coming back and your TA bringing them more business. There is no comparison.
scented and United747 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Highly recommend the Ritz Paris. Probably the best hotel stay I have had in the last 3 years. Expensive but everything is top top quality and deliver with amazing service. I will suggest to heed the advice above and go with Virtuoso. I will also suggest a min Grand Deluxe Room at least 50sqm of space. Staying at a luxury hotel should be all about experience, not saving money here and there.

BTW, the decor is very palatial and classical so be sure this is compatible with your taste.
EaglesFan0909 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:32 pm

Another negative about OTAs are the often inflexible cancellation and change policies. Stuff happens, and if you’re booking Virtuoso you have much more flexibility, and someone advocating for you to get a favorable outcome and rebook or change dates for you.

Compare being treated that way with being on hold with OTA customer service in the Philippines.... press one for English, press two for Espanol...

OTAs are basically tolerated as necessary evils by high end hotels. They don’t like forking over huge commissions to websites that often bring in the least valuable customers. They do it because it’s their last resort to fill empty rooms which otherwise would go unsold.
scented, United747 and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Please, for the love of all that is holy, use fewer excalamation points in your posts.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:06 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I actually enjoy this iteration!!
callmedtop and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop

Please, for the love of all that is holy, use fewer excalamation points in your posts.
Shoot, sorry!! I'll have to work on that! It's really annoying, I know, but just bear with me!

You have a great day, sir!

:P
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Highly recommend the Ritz Paris. Probably the best hotel stay I have had in the last 3 years. Expensive but everything is top top quality and deliver with amazing service. I will suggest to heed the advice above and go with Virtuoso. I will also suggest a min Grand Deluxe Room at least 50sqm of space. Staying at a luxury hotel should be all about experience, not saving money here and there.

BTW, the decor is very palatial and classical so be sure this is compatible with your taste.
It's so far from my taste. From the decor to the stuffiness, but I feel like it's fitting with Paris, so I am all in! Thank you so much for your help - it's much appreciated, BENLEE.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:32 pm

My favorite is Le Bristol. Virtuoso and Pearl Partner upgrades are confirmed at the time of booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.