Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks, @offerendum, for the wonderful review.

The Shangri-La isn't that far from the Ave George V where the FSGV and PdG are located or from the area by the Peninsula. So anyone considering those potentially could consider the Shangri-La if those views are of importance.

The price you got for your suite was pretty good for Paris. Well done!
Thanks! FS is indeed only a short walk away but a little bit more convenient for shopping. Prices in Paris went up over the last year.....
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Prices in Paris went up over the last year.....
Market coming back online. Really interesting, as the arrival of Rosewood Crillon has had an interesting effect as rates seem to stabilize.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:08 pm

@offerendum

Beautiful pictures and extensive review. I haven't stayed in many Shangri-La properties, but it looks like Shangri-La Paris is a contender for the best in the brand. I'm really impressed by how booming and extensive the luxury hotel market is in Paris. Several new (or extensively renovated) properties have surfaced in recent years. The stunning Eiffel Tower views would likely be the only reason for me to consider Shangri-La over the Ritz, FSGV, or Crillon.

Just one question about one of your comments. What did you mean by the bathroom mirror TV not having any programs?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

SL Paris looks fabulous but that Benedict looks heinous.

It's a new rebuild so the hot water should be better. FS George V came in hot and with decent pressure.

They really should be more considerate of a guest's car. Leaving it unlocked in most major cities is just asking for trouble. Easy pickings where they park it across the street!?
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
@offerendum

Beautiful pictures and extensive review. I haven't stayed in many Shangri-La properties, but it looks like Shangri-La Paris is a contender for the best in the brand. I'm really impressed by how booming and extensive the luxury hotel market is in Paris. Several new (or extensively renovated) properties have surfaced in recent years. The stunning Eiffel Tower views would likely be the only reason for me to consider Shangri-La over the Ritz, FSGV, or Crillon.

Just one question about one of your comments. What did you mean by the bathroom mirror TV not having any programs?
The TV could be switched on but had no signal. Whatever I tried the mirror was black in different shades. I could have asked to fix it but it wasn´t really important for me.

The view is not the only pro for Shangri-La, it´s more about value. FSGV was 1590 for a Premium room (JS in my eyes), 2250 for a Four Seasons Suite (no advanced purchased price available). So price for something roughly compareable would have been nearly triple, at least double. Even cheapest room at FS (which is unacceptable for me)was 1200 €. Similar at Ritz or Crillon. Personally I doubt it would have been worth the extra-money. Regarding FS for excample I´m not so convinced rooms/ suites are superior, on some pictures it looks very old fashioned.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:19 am

Thanks! FS is indeed only a short walk away but a little bit more convenient for shopping. Prices in Paris went up over the last year.....
Great review^ I think FSGV and le Bristol are in an entirely different class, but that is also reflected in the room rates. At FS, they have risen to such horrendous levels. The rates for “Executive Suites” are literally about €1,000 more than they used to be, now that they have rebranded the same rooms as “Four Seasons Suites.” No thanks...

All I can say is, that was one hell of a smart play with the confirmed upgrade + third night free! Excellent value for a Deluxe Suite, which actually looks nicer than the more expensive duplex.

And, although that breakfast looks like something from a four star, business hotel, hopefully it was included through S-L LC, Virtuoso, or FHR!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Great review offerendum. I think the SL looks very nice indeed. Impressed that you drove in Paris - would not appeal to me at all!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Great review^ I think FSGV and le Bristol are in an entirely different class, but that is also reflected in the room rates. At FS, they have risen to such horrendous levels. The rates for “Executive Suites” are literally about €1,000 more than they used to be, now that they have rebranded the same rooms as “Four Seasons Suites.” No thanks...

All I can say is, that was one hell of a smart play with the confirmed upgrade + third night free! Excellent value for a Deluxe Suite, which actually looks nicer than the more expensive duplex.

And, although that breakfast looks like something from a four star, business hotel, hopefully it was included through S-L LC, Virtuoso, or FHR!
Thanks! Have to try some of the other hotels (would have done one more night at FSGV to try it but my company wasn´t ready for it) for shorter stays or in case of good offers. At 6 nights the difference would have been even more significant. Considering "normal" prices I would not choose SL for 1600 €. Also you now see that SL do some rebrands of room-categories too which will have impact on the rates. Breakfast was included, yes.

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Great review offerendum. I think the SL looks very nice indeed. Impressed that you drove in Paris - would not appeal to me at all!
Thanks. I did the drive in the past (also London, NYC etc) and found it OK. Generally SL is better located for driving than Ritz or Crillon. Nevertheless traffic is a little bit crazy (SOMEONE needed to visit Galeries Lafayette AFTER check-out after I left the hotel-grounds - what a "nice" drive via Champs Elysees, Place de la Concorde during rush hour) and to be honest I avoided the roundabout at Arc de Triomphe after I experienced it on the first day. During our visit I only drove once to dinner and one day to Versailles. Otherwise I took always a taxi or Uber.
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:55 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
That's one of the strongest SLs there is. Now you could say that says more about the brand than the individual property, but it's a pretty strong property too.

Additionally, the rate, especially with the 3/2 offer, is just too good.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:36 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Just as I tell parents and students all the time that there are many amazing colleges and universities that offer "the best" in terms of academic challenge, quality of students and faculty, student experience, value, and professional opportunity, there are many hotel options in Paris (and most other cities) that offer "the best" in terms of comfort, value, luxury, and the like.

"The best" is for sheep. The key is to find "the best" for you. We all have different preferences, so the variety of so many wonderful options is something to relish.

We all should be thrilled that many prefer other options, else the price of our preferred option would skyrocket. Just like students should be thrilled that others don't apply against them.

Now I step off my soap box with apologies.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 27, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just as I tell parents and students all the time that there are many amazing colleges and universities that offer "the best" in terms of academic challenge, quality of students and faculty, student experience, value, and professional opportunity, there are many hotel options in Paris (and most other cities) that offer "the best" in terms of comfort, value, luxury, and the like,

"The best" is for sheep. The key is to find "the best" for you. We all have different preferences, so the variety of so many wonderful options is something to relish.

We all should be thrilled that many prefer other options, else the price of our preferred option would skyrocket. Just like students should be thrilled that others don't apply against them.

100 % correct! Additional I doubt we find one opinion about the question which hotel is the best regarding product. One say FSGV, others Crillon and someone else Ritz.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:51 am

Just as I tell parents and students all the time that there are many amazing colleges and universities that offer "the best" in terms of academic challenge, quality of students and faculty, student experience, value, and professional opportunity, there are many hotel options in Paris (and most other cities) that offer "the best" in terms of comfort, value, luxury, and the like,

Absolutely, 100% spot on^

Thanks! Have to try some of the other hotels (would have done one more night at FSGV to try it but my company wasn´t ready for it) for shorter stays or in case of good offers. At 6 nights the difference would have been even more significant. Considering "normal" prices I would not choose SL for 1600 €. Also you now see that SL do some rebrands of room-categories too which will have impact on the rates. Breakfast was included, yes.
I think you made a smart choice given the exceptional value. S-L Paris is an interesting property because it has such stunning aspects to it, like the public spaces, swimming pool, and the fabulous Pierre Yves Rochon designed Imperial Suite (which is sadly largely irrelevant to me as I can’t afford/justify a stay in it). On the other hand it suffers from certain drawbacks. I don’t like the decor or color pallet of the rooms, your Deluxe Suite is actually the most appealing to me in the hotel short of the Imperial Suite. And trying to always transfer a call is not luxury in my opinion. At a luxury property, at least the majority of the time, the person who picks up the telephone should be able to process and follow through with the request. If I wanted to be transferred to someone else, I would call the operator in the first place...

If I lived in Europe I would probably make a point of a “staycation” there, but as it is I probably won’t stay. Like the Peninsula, I’ll probably just go for a meal and to have a look around.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 27, 2017 at 11:08 am
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I think you made a smart choice given the exceptional value. S-L Paris is an interesting property because it has such stunning aspects to it, like the public spaces, swimming pool, and the fabulous Pierre Yves Rochon designed Imperial Suite (which is sadly largely irrelevant to me as I can’t afford/justify a stay in it). On the other hand it suffers from certain drawbacks. I don’t like the decor or color pallet of the rooms, your Deluxe Suite is actually the most appealing to me in the hotel short of the Imperial Suite. And trying to always transfer a call is not luxury in my opinion. At a luxury property, at least the majority of the time, the person who picks up the telephone should be able to process and follow through with the request. If I wanted to be transferred to someone else, I would call the operator in the first place...

If I lived in Europe I would probably make a point of a “staycation” there, but as it is I probably won’t stay. Like the Peninsula, I’ll probably just go for a meal and to have a look around.
I don´t object. No dramatic service-issues but also far from good.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
You can do a lot of shopping wit what you'll save at the SL over FSGV. And even if you're loaded down with packages the one thing in Paris that is not overly expensive is a taxi.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wripro
You can do a lot of shopping wit what you'll save at the SL over FSGV. And even if you're loaded down with packages the one thing in Paris that is not overly expensive is a taxi.
Excact. I also used Uber as it’s not always easy to find a taxi. It’s even a few € cheaper. So location was not a big issue, if I had stayed for excample at FSGV or MO I doubt I would have visited the Eiffel Tower at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.