Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:04 am

Very glad to have Mike share his knowledge with us but I fear some may have to make their own experiences to understand. Booking Le Ritz through Hotels.com is somewhat like ordering a bottle of 1990 Dom Pérignon at McDonald’s.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by scented
Very glad to have Mike share his knowledge with us but I fear some may have to make their own experiences to understand. Booking Le Ritz through Hotels.com is somewhat like ordering a bottle of 1990 Dom Pérignon at McDonald’s.
LOL! And serve with plastic cups!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
By the way, has anyone tried Hôtel de Crillon? I think it was recently renovated entirely. Pics on website looks great. Room size less so with even Premier rooms at < 40 sqm.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:43 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

As an alternative to Paris, there are lots of other good options that you can take your boyfriend on! Did you consider Kiribati! There's a Paris on Kiritimati Island and I think your BOYFRIEND would like the warm water! You can play in the sand, wear really cool (matching) bathing suits and EVEN eat local cuisine! Maybe a romantic hot air ballon too!

If you NEED any help organizing a flight, I'm sure that Besvisor will be able set you up with a nice flight!

Whatever PARIS you end up in, be in Perris Texas or the Paris of Africa (Central Africa REPUBLIC) or Buenos Aires I'm sure that IT will suit your budget and COOLNESS for the great game foosball! I EVEN love foosball! It's really intense!

Oh, and can you make a hair salon recommendation! I am going to Philadelefia in 2020, so I really want to be ready to paint the town!
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by DSI; Jun 28, 2018 at 7:14 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by scented
Originally Posted by BENLEE
By the way, has anyone tried Hôtel de Crillon? I think it was recently renovated entirely. Pics on website looks great. Room size less so with even Premier rooms at < 40 sqm.
But, you still get the fine taste of Dom .

I have taken your guys opinion and have booked via virtuoso. Now I just need to collect $500 from the both of you to cover my losses :P

Thanks, everyone!

Now, we're spending two nights in Paris but we both LOVE wine. Does anyone have any hotel/vineyard recommendations in France? Champagne is not our favorite type of drink so we can forgo that area. (My girlfriend usually does all of the planning, but this is a surprise trip for her).
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:35 am
DSI

Did you use one of the Virtuoso agents on this site? Who did you use? (I'm gonna guess that it's someone else not on this site...)

Go to Domaine de la Romanee Conti and buy a vertical. Really the only good option in France!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DSI
Did you use one of the Virtuoso agents on this site? Who did you use? (I'm gonna guess that it's someone else not on this site...)

Go to Domaine de la Romanee Conti and buy a vertical. Really the only good option in France!
Make sure to invite me for the tasting
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by DSI

I used someone on here who has helped me out quite a bit; they were also the first person I 'really' interacted with. I felt that it was the only fair way, even though you have all been great! I really cannot thank you enough. I hope to learn more so I can pass along what you have taught me to others. Thank you.

I just jotted down Domaine de la Romanee Conti!

Originally Posted by United747
Make sure to invite me for the tasting
October - be there or be square.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:12 am

consecutive posts by same member

Incidentally, I have been given 1968 Petrus in a plastic cup before. It was at the home of a hedge fund manager who just did not care about the proper glassware... I was shocked by that, but the wine was still unbelievable. The plastic cups were at least of a high quality, transparent variety. And it was properly decanted.

Money does not buy everything... From his perspective the price difference between that and a $15 bottle of table wine is trivial anyway. That wine was in optimal cellar conditions for over 40 years, and ended up in plastic.
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909
I just jotted down Domaine de la Romanee Conti!
You are aware of course that the name you just jotted down is widely considered to be one of the finest wines on the planet.
BESVISOR likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jun 28, 2018 at 9:46 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

You are aware of course that the name you just jotted down is widely considered to be one of the finest wines on the planet.
Ahh, totally came off wrong. I created a new 'note' on my mac and jotted down Domaine de la Romanee Conti right before I read his suggestion. That is the only place I know of; I do admit, I am more up to speed with US and Italian wine. To my knowledge, though, you cannot visit. amiright?

Last edited by EaglesFan0909; Jun 28, 2018 at 9:30 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:36 am
DSI

yeah, italian wine is way more accessible with it's 1000's of varieties and areas vs. something that's literally mentioned in every wine magazine in every issue. You have Barolo, Emilia, Nebbiola.... Pinot, Ribolla, Impigno, Campania, Erbaluce.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:52 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909
Ahh, totally came off wrong. I created a new 'note' on my mac and jotted down Domaine de la Romanee Conti right before I read his suggestion. That is the only place I know of; I do admit, I am more up to speed with US and Italian wine. To my knowledge, though, you cannot visit. amiright?
Doubt you can visit. It’s pretty “easy” to buy a bottle or case though. I put easy in quotes because all you need is the money and access to an auction house.

Most of the wineries are far away from Paris. At least a day trip.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by United747

Doubt you can visit. It’s pretty “easy” to buy a bottle or case though. I put easy in quotes because all you need is the money and access to an auction house.

Most of the wineries are far away from Paris. At least a day trip.
Haha, I hear yah!

I was looking to stay in the region, whether it's in a local hotel or on a winery.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:28 am
DSI

There's a winery called vin de tahiti that you could very easily combine with Paris. The flight may even be classified as domestic. There or DRC are really the only two options a true luxury traveler could consider.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:48 am

With a lot of reading and research on this forum, I did below hotel stay in April 2018

George V, 1 night
Hotel de Crillon, 2 nights
Ritz,1 night

(I have stayed at George V suite and Peninsula in the past)

My preference in below order
1 Ritz (room #627 )
2 George V (didn't take note of the room #)
3 Crillon (room #425 )
Above are all within the similar room categories however got upgraded at Ritz at the time of checking in.

Crillon was new and public spaces were very very nice but the guest room was somehow not as expected. Its like they have put too much thoughts for interiors in a wrong way and I wasn't even wowed - in fact it felt more like you have been invited to your friends house who have a really bad taste. Also the space was TINY. I liked that the bathroom was clean and new, however, I have this really sensitive odor detecting nose and somehow the room/bed linens smelled funny (husband couldn't smell anything). Maybe they have some ventilation problem? Their underground pool was small-sized but pretty.

George V is very old, nothing really would amaze you aside from that Californian florist's work everywhere. Guest room had tired interior (curtains and bed linens are dated) and terrible toiletries (amenities such as cheap looking disposable hair brush and some cheap branded mouthwash and deodorizer - makes you feel like an old business man) to the level that you hardly could believe that its an 5 star hotel - but the room was much bigger without smelling problem compared to Crillon and had comfortable feeling as whole thus I ranked George V above Crillon.

Above comments made are very subjective and if you prefer newer hotel, def do Crillon.

Ritz was amazing that 1) they were the only hotel who gave us an upgrade 2) beautiful fluffy towels, new bed linens, thick slippers, bathrobes etc, everything with nice soapy smell 3) wonderful quality of any little furniture and the details of the room tells you its just different levels from the other two. Also, welcome fruits/drinks were much nicer than the other two. The pool is one of the biggest in Paris and was really gorgeous except for that there were lots of kids...hope they have kids only pool.
Ritz was exceptional and have to say that the border between the other two are very huge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.