Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:01 am

What room category were you in at George V? It is quite funny that you had such an average experience at George V, but I am not surprised, considering your visit fell into the month after José Silva's departure, with the hotel in the hands of Pedro Deakin, who himself left shortly after for Jumeirah as well.

Shame you were not upgraded and they failed to make a lasting impression on you. I wonder what room category you were in? Deluxe Room? I wonder what happened, it is unlike them not to extend more hospitality to a return guest!

Things should be better soon, Jean-Claude Wietzel officially started in Paris on June 18.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:16 am

At the time of booking:
George V - Superior King room
Crillon - Deluxe King room
Ritz - Superior Double room

All of them were around EUR1,000/night
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Reputation of George V is very different at this Forum. It varies from "best hotel in the world" to "tired and overpriced".
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Reputation of George V is very different at this Forum. It varies from "best hotel in the world" to "tired and overpriced".
No doubt it is overpriced, but it is continuously upgraded so I am quite surprised anyone would consider FSGV to be tired!

I still had a bad experience today: I had a table booked for tomorrow lunch at le Georges. They called this morning only to tell me that because of a private event during the fashion week they had to cancel my reservation. No big deal, it is only for a meal, but I was still surprised as despite my request they didn’t offer any help to book elsewhere.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:21 pm

Hôtel le Bristol^
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric

No doubt it is overpriced, but it is continuously upgraded so I am quite surprised anyone would consider FSGV to be tired!

I still had a bad experience today: I had a table booked for tomorrow lunch at le Georges. They called this morning only to tell me that because of a private event during the fashion week they had to cancel my reservation. No big deal, it is only for a meal, but I was still surprised as despite my request they didn’t offer any help to book elsewhere.
Not exactly what we have come to expect from FSGV.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Not exactly what we have come to expect from FSGV.
I took my girlfriend to Sonoma as a surprise and I booked us a reservation at The French Laundry. I called a week in advance to confirm that everything was still ok (We have a nut allergy). Two days prior to our reservation, they cancelled on us for a private event. I asked why, and they said American Express booked a private even that day for their cardmembers. The day of our (what was supposed to be) reservation, I hired a service to take us around for a wine tour. While sitting at a Vineyard in a cave, there was one other couple - The French Laundry cancelled on them as well. Turns out he is a specialized neurosurgeon of some sort, so I am sure he was doing ok financially. Turns out, we were both cardmembers and were able to get into the event. We joked that we'll just go check it out. Upon showing up, we laughed (It was the definition of pretentious), told the establishment how wrong we thought that was and then went to a dive bar! They offered us nothing. Just a sorry, barely. Sad part is, he flew all the way out to Napa just for The French Laundry. Needless to say, we'll never go back to one of his establishments ever again. So I completely feel your pain!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some

Sounds very mediocre.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909
I took my girlfriend to Sonoma as a surprise and I booked us a reservation at The French Laundry. I called a week in advance to confirm that everything was still ok (We have a nut allergy). Two days prior to our reservation, they cancelled on us for a private event. I asked why, and they said American Express booked a private even that day for their cardmembers. The day of our (what was supposed to be) reservation, I hired a service to take us around for a wine tour. While sitting at a Vineyard in a cave, there was one other couple - The French Laundry cancelled on them as well. Turns out he is a specialized neurosurgeon of some sort, so I am sure he was doing ok financially. Turns out, we were both cardmembers and were able to get into the event. We joked that we'll just go check it out. Upon showing up, we laughed (It was the definition of pretentious), told the establishment how wrong we thought that was and then went to a dive bar! They offered us nothing. Just a sorry, barely. Sad part is, he flew all the way out to Napa just for The French Laundry. Needless to say, we'll never go back to one of his establishments ever again. So I completely feel your pain!
EMP did the same to me. Did you happen to go to Jarvis (winery in a cave)?

To to stay on topic, I’m off to FSGV in a couple weeks now. I will definitively be looking to see if they are on top of their game.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by United747

EMP did the same to me. Did you happen to go to Jarvis (winery in a cave)?

To to stay on topic, I’m off to FSGV in a couple weeks now. I will definitively be looking to see if they are on top of their game.
No, I wanted to go there though. We went to Caldwell - talk about a generous wine tasting.

Please report back!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:57 am

There are a few developments at George V I do not particularly like these days, some of which I have addressed with them. I wonder if their new GM aims to rectify some of these things or if the new direction will continue. We shall see.

Might head there in late summer or fall to see the new Spa.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Erika_Tokyo
At the time of booking:
George V - Superior King room
Crillon - Deluxe King room
Ritz - Superior Double room

All of them were around EUR1,000/night
Before renovation, some of the Crillon rooms with courtyard views (IIRC they were called either superior or deluxe, but were singles with one queen bed) were horrid. Their nice rooms (minimum FHR category) were doubles with windows overlooking either the square of the side street with the American embassy.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Perhaps my overall comparison/contrast of many of the Paris luxury hotels belongs in this thread!

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ry-hotels-2202

Mods: any chance to move that "review" to this thread?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

I'm currently in Paris and doing 4 nights at the Peninsula in a Junior Suite and 4 nights at the Hotel de Crillon in a Premiere Suite (I think I got upgraded? -- I booked a Deluxe but it doesn't look the same as on the website).

I just checked in to Crillon and my first impression is that the decor, finishes and room hardware are great. I wanted to stay there in addition to the Pen because Crillon seemed to strike a balance between Pen's "modern / high end but not very French in character" and something like Ritz which is a bit too old world / gilded for my taste. Plus it's nice to try a different location.

When I checked in to the Peninsula Paris I had deja vu (how French :-) recalling the Peninsula Tokyo room layout, and hardware (same template but updated), etc. Other than the windows w/ awnings, the Peninsula Paris feels like it could be a high end luxury hotel room in any major city (a fantastic and comfortable one I'd be happy to stay in though).

But I will say at Crillon I miss the practicality of the Peninsula in terms of total space, but especially closet space and desk space. There are quite a few closets but they are all very narrow so I can't put my luggage in them laying out flat. Also, there is not really any obvious work desk in this room. But I've only checked in to Crillon today so I'll have more to compare and contrast after I try room service, etc. [Re: room service -- perusing the menu I noticed Crillon only charges 38 EUR for a cheeseburger vs. Pen's laughable 52 EUR, despite Crillon charging more for rooms in general :-)]
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:41 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Lutetia opens on the 12th of July (now in soft opening) and will probably belong in this thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.