Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Member

You know, I think I would love to stay once in ALL of the Parisian palaces.
FlyerEC and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by KatW
That's a great bucket list!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Nice goal!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scented

Please do.
Review is up.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...-george-v.html

I'll try and post more pics when the tech issues are resolved

So would I!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:23 pm

Some pictures for your fine folks of our stay in Hotel de Crillon (Premier Suite) and The Ritz (Deluxe Suite)

/
What a dichotomy. There was significant hype around the 4 year renovation project of Hotel de Crillon, but for once it lived up to it. What a superb hotel in almost every regard. The design was just spot on, with a beautiful blend of old and new. Every detail was clearly thought through to give them an edge over their competition; just the focus on in room amenities and toiletries reveals that, but every other area of the hotel is simply wonderful, from the bar, to the pool, courtyard and lounge. I rarely see a presidential suite worth paying for, but after some long negotiation and maybe for a truly special occasion, I'd consider it here. The downside was my normal nemesis in food, although it fared a lot better than most: we had a wonderful dinner and breakfast, but followed it up with a rather substandard lunch, only saved by the pastry chef being a gift from god. Definitely worth the hype and I would definitely return.

The Ritz, on the other hand, felt like it had already past its best before date. I feel it exists in the realm of properties like Burj al Arab in that the desire to stay is more a box ticking exercise, but one that you know will leave you disappointed. The only one who gained were the hotel accountants. There is a complete lack of value for money here, ranging all the way from the obscene €76 for a caesar salad, to €40 for a coffee, to €48 for a club sandwich which tasted worse than a packaged one from Pret, to €25 to watch Die Hard. It is all well and good charging obscene fees, but you then have to deliver on them and The Ritz only delivered bad news. Even the free breakfast felt like a rip off.

Housekeeping must have been on strike, as we had a spiders web by the side of our bed, dust everywhere and the terrace uncleaned during our stay. The spa was absolutely packed and the pool truly the busiest I've ever seen in a hotel (whereas at Crillon it was empty the entire time), the room completely lacked any resemblance of blackouts and even lacked a door to punish the eyes even more, half the hotel feels like a shopping mall and just to emphasis it, I will repeat once again how bad the food was. I already knew that I did not like the design, so normally I would forgive it, but I just cannot. Those golden swans will haunt my dreams until the day I die. There was clearly a lot of money spent here, but it could have been better spent by giving it to charity. It was one of those properties that the more time I spent there, the less I liked it.

The Peninsula and Hotel de Crillon are my current favourite Paris properties.

Last edited by MacMyDay; Jul 31, 2018 at 3:49 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:50 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Uh oh, @MacMyDay, we both loved the Crillon and Peninsula...and detest the Ritz’s gold swans. I suppose now you’ll have to sometime endure a stay in a suite at the Prince de Galles and see if it also measures up.

Else our wedding gift be gold swans in perpetuity.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:18 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
No La Reserve for you @MacMyDay?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Uh oh, @MacMyDay, we both loved the Crillon and Peninsula...and detest the Ritz’s gold swans. I suppose now you’ll have to sometime endure a stay in a suite at the Prince de Galles and see if it also measures up.

Else our wedding gift be gold swans in perpetuity.
I've passed my Starwood quota for the decade after staying in Grande Bretagne a few months ago. Don't go getting greedy now.

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
No La Reserve for you @MacMyDay?
Stayed in 2016; went for dinner there last week. I love the suites there, but for me the major benefit of a 40 room hotel is the focus on service and it wasn't there in 2016 - not sure now. I feel city hotels of that size benefit you the most if you're a repeat guest as they can truly tailor an experience to you. Even if they offered the worlds best service, in a city hotel I'm out a lot so don't need it; give me a great spa like The Peninsula any day.

Like Bill, for the last 3 or 4 years I've really enjoyed going to visit other hotels, so we also went to see Hotel Lutetia, the wildly delayed refurbishment by Set Hotels, ye of Cafe Royal fame. It's on the other side of the river, so a 30 minute walk from the rest of the commonly discussed luxury hotels. As with Cafe Royal, the spa is their main selling point and is probably the best I've seen in Paris, but otherwise it all felt far too similar in a property trying to be luxury but being unprepared to spend money on it. Only 50 of the 184 rooms were finished and large parts of the hotel looked like a building site as a result. I am surprised guests would choose to stay here at this point. The rooms were the biggest let down, with us politely trying to pretend to want to spend more than a few seconds inside a Junior Suite after the door opened and we just saw the standard emptiness that only Set know how to do. Whilst I am no fan of the style of The Ritz and Le Bristol, I do not think it possible to accuse them of being cheap. Lutetia felt exactly that.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:06 am

I am so glad I can ignore the Set Hotels ever since I set foot into Conservatorium. At least one group off my list.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
MacMyDay,

Thanks for the reviews. Too bad about the Lutetia. I was seriously considering it for my next visit but now am very glad I booked the Crillon.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:44 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I've passed my Starwood quota for the decade after staying in Grande Bretagne a few months ago. Don't go getting greedy now.
Greed...is good. Or so the 1980s told us. Be like Nike and just do it.

The Prince de Galles is certainly far better relative to Paris than the Grand Bretagne is relative to Athens. You may be suffering from a malady of false equivalency, my friend.

Whilst I am no fan of the style of The Ritz and Le Bristol, I do not think it possible to accuse them of being cheap. Lutetia felt exactly that.
True dat. At least in the public spaces of Le Bristol. But I can and do accuse Le Bristol of being seriously and woefully dated in its guest rooms/suites. They feel cheap to me. That’s enough (or lack thereof) for me.

I’ll work on my whilsting later.

Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks for the pictures! I´m glad I´m not the only one who has some disturbing emotions if you my think they postpones the comma when they fixed prices.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by MacMyDay

The Ritz, on the other hand, felt like it had already past its best before date. I feel it exists in the realm of properties like Burj al Arab in that the desire to stay is more a box ticking exercise, but one that you know will leave you disappointed. The only one who gained were the hotel accountants. There is a complete lack of value for money here, ranging all the way from the obscene €76 for a caesar salad, to €40 for a coffee, to €48 for a club sandwich which tasted worse than a packaged one from Pret, to €25 to watch Die Hard. It is all well and good charging obscene fees, but you then have to deliver on them and The Ritz only delivered bad news. Even the free breakfast felt like a rip off.

Housekeeping must have been on strike, as we had a spiders web by the side of our bed, dust everywhere and the terrace uncleaned during our stay. The spa was absolutely packed and the pool truly the busiest I've ever seen in a hotel (whereas at Crillon it was empty the entire time), the room completely lacked any resemblance of blackouts and even lacked a door to punish the eyes even more, half the hotel feels like a shopping mall and just to emphasis it, I will repeat once again how bad the food was. I already knew that I did not like the design, so normally I would forgive it, but I just cannot. Those golden swans will haunt my dreams until the day I die. There was clearly a lot of money spent here, but it could have been better spent by giving it to charity. It was one of those properties that the more time I spent there, the less I liked it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57669622879237

The Peninsula and Hotel de Crillon are my current favourite Paris properties.
If what you wrote is indeed true about the Ritz Paris, the standards must have fallen perpendicularly off the cliff. Two years ago I tried this hotel and I still rated them as one of the most amazing property I have ever stayed. Not only was everything sparkling, luxurious and clean, the food were among the best I have ever tasted in a hotel. I am actually contemplating a return next year. And no, golden swan taps do not bother me.

Anyone else has recent similar bad experience?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Any recent stays at La Reserve ?
Has the food improved from earlier reports here circa ~2016 ?
Is La Reserve seen to be in the same league as Hotel De Crillon etc or not really ?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:27 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Nizar
Any recent stays at La Reserve ?
Has the food improved from earlier reports here circa ~2016 ?
Is La Reserve seen to be in the same league as Hotel De Crillon etc or not really ?
I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I continue to get great feedback on Hotel De Crillon and clients are beginning to repeat stays.
Don't know much about La Reserve yet.
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.