Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris luxury hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I think we're actually going to try the Peninsula this time. Really don't like the decor of the S-L, to be honest, as nice as the views may be. The Pen has a Junior Suite at the same price as a Mandarin room (2nd from base) - 55sqm vs. 45sqm - and we really appreciate extra space and technology in the room. I know it doesn't have a "Parisian vibe", but I'm OK with that overall.

We also stayed in the Vendome area last year when we went to Paris, so a change may be nice for this stay.

Interested to see how the service has improved from the disappointing reports previously mentioned on this forum.

Am I crazy for choosing this over the MO? Currently have the MO reserved but like I said it's the same price for Jr. Suite at Pen.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I think we're actually going to try the Peninsula this time. Really don't like the decor of the S-L, to be honest, as nice as the views may be. The Pen has a Junior Suite at the same price as a Mandarin room (2nd from base) - 55sqm vs. 45sqm - and we really appreciate extra space and technology in the room. I know it doesn't have a "Parisian vibe", but I'm OK with that overall.

We also stayed in the Vendome area last year when we went to Paris, so a change may be nice for this stay.

Interested to see how the service has improved from the disappointing reports previously mentioned on this forum.

Am I crazy for choosing this over the MO? Currently have the MO reserved but like I said it's the same price for Jr. Suite at Pen.
It really depends what you value more: service, hard product or location.
Hard product: Pen>MO
Service: MO>Pen

Both hotels don't have a parisian vibe, if you're looking for that have lunch or dinner at one of the following: The Bristol, FS, Ritz or Plaza Athénée.
I have had service issues at the Pen but if you get a junior suite at the rate of a room at the MO, go for it.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by JohnRain
It really depends what you value more: service, hard product or location.
Hard product: Pen>MO
Service: MO>Pen

Both hotels don't have a parisian vibe, if you're looking for that have lunch or dinner at one of the following: The Bristol, FS, Ritz or Plaza Athénée.
I have had service issues at the Pen but if you get a junior suite at the rate of a room at the MO, go for it.
Very helpful, thanks. Spending more time debating this than I should, but I guess that's what we do on this forum. How "bad" is the location compared to Plaza Vendome area? We're just looking to mozy around Paris - nothing specifically on the agenda.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Very helpful, thanks. Spending more time debating this than I should, but I guess that's what we do on this forum. How "bad" is the location compared to Plaza Vendome area? We're just looking to mozy around Paris - nothing specifically on the agenda.
The location isn't bad. It just means a brief taxi to get to Place Vendome and many other sites. On the other hand, the Pen is a short walk to the Eiffel Tower and there are plenty of good restaurants nearby.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:53 pm

The question is how much of a shopaholic you or your significant other are!
MO is right in the area where many of the interesting shops are, (Faubourg-) Saint Honoré.

Actually most hotels in Paris are better located than the Pen. MO is on the best shopping street, FS is right next to Avenue Montaigne and a short ride away from St Germain, which I also love. Pen is very far from everything. It may be only 2 miles away from FS, but it feels so off.

Re design: Pen may feel not very Parisian in the rooms and suites, but the restored palace is absolutely superb. MO was given a very contemporary French design by Sybille de Margerie, very feminine. I actually find most MO to be very warm and feminine these days.

Last edited by scented; Oct 25, 2016 at 2:14 pm Reason: Added design
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by scented
The question is how much of a shopaholic you or your significant other are!
MO is right in the area where many of the interesting shops are, (Faubourg-) Saint Honoré.

Actually most hotels in Paris are better located than the Pen. MO is on the best shopping street, FS is right next to Avenue Montaigne and a short ride away from St Germain, which I also love. Pen is very far from everything. It may be only 2 miles away from FS, but it feels so off.

Re design: Pen may feel not very Parisian in the rooms and suites, but the restored palace is absolutely superb. MO was given a very contemporary French design by Sybille de Margerie, very feminine. I actually find most MO to be very warm and feminine these days.
This was very helpful - thank you. Shame to hear about the location. Neither of us are big shoppers so the MO location does not sway us (and we've stayed in Vendome area before), but to be "far from everything" isn't very exciting either.

Shame, FS really does seem like the best option, but 3rd night free at the Pen/MO is just to big to pass up on.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:53 pm

We stayed at the Pen about this time last year in a Grand Premier Room (since renamed to Junior Suite). We didn't feel like it was far from everywhere and we went to the Louvre, Notre Dame, Musee Dorsee and did lots of shopping. We enjoyed the walking about and seeing the sights. When we didn't feel like walking the Metro was less than 100m from the Pen. The hard product is truly incredible. The service was excellent - we didn't have a single issue during our stay. The only slightly negative were the restaurants (not breakfast). They were quite mediocre. But with an abundance of good restaurants in Paris who cares? The pool and spa facilities were great to use in the evening before going out for dinner. I particularly enjoyed the tropical scented rain shower in the spa. We used the Rolls Royce Phantom transfer service which included VIP arrival service at CDG.

In short, our experience of the Pen wasn't bad - in fact it was excellent. It seems to get a bad review from many on here but we don't have a bad word to say about it.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr
The only slightly negative were the restaurants (not breakfast). They were quite mediocre. But with an abundance of good restaurants in Paris who cares?
Vincent, the F&B Director at The Peninsula, was the ex-F&B Director at The Connaught. He joined and completely transformed their offering, turning it from somewhere we avoided to a place we ate so frequently that we stopped going out to other restaurants when staying. Things have dipped a bit since he left, but he left a mark that is still recognisable. He joined The Peninsula around a year ago, so would not have had time to put his stamp on things by the time you were there. We had drinks/dinner with him a few weeks ago, and whilst admittedly having dinner with everyone's boss does result in some phenomenal service, the food was really good as well. It didn't surprise me, as he certainly knows what he's doing.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
This was very helpful - thank you. Shame to hear about the location. Neither of us are big shoppers so the MO location does not sway us (and we've stayed in Vendome area before), but to be "far from everything" isn't very exciting either.

Shame, FS really does seem like the best option, but 3rd night free at the Pen/MO is just to big to pass up on.
callmedtop, I wouldn't worry too much about the location, as it's not a bad location per se. The Pen is just less conveniently located than most of the other palace hotels. If you walk out of the FS, Bristol, MO or Ritz, you're immediately in the middle of everything. If you walk out of the Pen, you're 300-400 meters away from everything. Besides, Uber works really well in Paris so it's not that big of an issue. Enjoy!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Has anyone else tried the Ritz Paris recently? In the other thread, someone has tried it but it is a speciality suite and feedback is good. Will like to hear more opinions.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnRain
callmedtop, I wouldn't worry too much about the location, as it's not a bad location per se. The Pen is just less conveniently located than most of the other palace hotels. If you walk out of the FS, Bristol, MO or Ritz, you're immediately in the middle of everything. If you walk out of the Pen, you're 300-400 meters away from everything. Besides, Uber works really well in Paris so it's not that big of an issue. Enjoy!
Some would say that is a good thing. In fact that Kleber area is where some of the wealthiest people in Paris live. That's why there are a number of very nice restaurants nearby that you won't find on tourist lists. I would hope and expect that the concierge at the Pen is well connected for that.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Vincent, the F&B Director at The Peninsula, was the ex-F&B Director at The Connaught. He joined and completely transformed their offering, turning it from somewhere we avoided to a place we ate so frequently that we stopped going out to other restaurants when staying. Things have dipped a bit since he left, but he left a mark that is still recognisable. He joined The Peninsula around a year ago, so would not have had time to put his stamp on things by the time you were there. We had drinks/dinner with him a few weeks ago, and whilst admittedly having dinner with everyone's boss does result in some phenomenal service, the food was really good as well. It didn't surprise me, as he certainly knows what he's doing.
It was the Cantonese that I mainly had a problem with. The food just wasn't very good and the meal was really disappointing. The other main restaurant was ok it just had no real wow factor and the layout felt strange. Rather like a large dining room.

Breakfast on the other hand was good. Not 'OORR great' or 'Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat great' but pretty good.

I know you're not a drinker but I will just mention that Bar Kleber was exceptional. Their 'Kleber Old Fashioned' in particular was superb.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr
I know you're not a drinker but I will just mention that Bar Kleber was exceptional. Their 'Kleber Old Fashioned' in particular was superb.
Good times for those who don't drink, as more and more hotels have amazing mocktails these days. I don't even need alcohol, as some of them are so amazing. You should try the creations at George V, just stunning -- visually very much inspired by Jeff Leatham with ice, rose petals and flowers. And not all too sweet! ^
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
Good times for those who don't drink, as more and more hotels have amazing mocktails these days. I don't even need alcohol, as some of them are so amazing. You should try the creations at George V, just stunning -- visually very much inspired by Jeff Leatham with ice, rose petals and flowers. And not all too sweet! ^
Not sweet is good. Remember that we aren't allowed to drink sugary drinks anymore or the health police will come after us! The shame of it is that Champagne has lots of sugar.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Not sweet is good. Remember that we aren't allowed to drink sugary drinks anymore or the health police will come after us! The shame of it is that Champagne has lots of sugar.
You need to try Skinny Champagne!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.