Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2015 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by alpinecow
Our 9-month old spent 4 nights sleeping on a quilt on the floor at one of the more expensive and "luxurious" hotels in the world.
It's one thing not to have the room set up with the crib prior to check-in, but not to provide one for a full four nights?

This summer I spent a few nights at Yara with a toddler and the experience was similar (though my daughter got her bed without problems...). Some individual members of staff were excellent with children, but overall the place was not prepared for children at all. Apple juice for my daugther was a perennial issue (not delivered at all, requiring long waits etc. despite it being on the menu). Very long waits for meals, with my daughter's food served in-between our starter and main course on occasion. Fantastic. My daughter is quite disciplined for her age, but you just don't make a 3-year old wait 60+ minutes for her portion of pasta. Staff routinely giving us only two towels for three people (my daughter might not need her own lounger, but a towel?). And I could go on.

I have read the numerous positive reports on this forum on Aman experiences with children, and also the reports on Yara not being the strongest Aman, so I am inclined to put it up to the individual hotel.

Anyway the experience left me quite underwhelmed. Either have a clear policy where children are not allowed/discouraged, or cater to them with the same care that you apply to your adult guests.

Not providing a crib, I wouldn't even tolerate that at a Hilton... The amount of arrogance on the part of the hotel implied in this is unbelievable. I would have checked out. And no, I don't expect that I have to involve the GM to get such standard things sorted out.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:01 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Mental note: complain at every Aman I go to in future. Keep going bhrubin and maybe you'll end up owning Aman as part of a compensation package ;-)
I only complain when there is a service or amenity failure. Those examples cited are really the only ones where the Aman failure was substantial IMO...and where the recovery was also crazy good. At Beijing, I told the GM that the comp'd night was more than sufficient...but she insisted that we get the free dinner and free bottle of wine, too. We chose a very reasonable bottle of wine.

I had near perfect stays at Amanjiwo, Amanusa, and Amandari on the same Indonesia trip mentioned previously. I had some minor issues at Amangiri this past April but loved it still (and spoke to the GM about them!). We had a near perfect stay at Amansara in Jan 2014, and got to know GM Sally extremely well, not to mention Chef Molly and F&B guru Audrey. We've had near perfect stays at Amangani the past several years.

Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Was also just at Aman Tokyo... price point similar to the other comparables in Tokyo. I loved the hard product but did think that all the visitors for tea did make it less appealing for guests. I would hope they would hold back tables for guests seeing that it's been said that they're all booked up.

Urban resorts do lack the "special" feel of the true Aman resorts, I must agree.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xray
Was also just at Aman Tokyo... price point similar to the other comparables in Tokyo. I loved the hard product but did think that all the visitors for tea did make it less appealing for guests. I would hope they would hold back tables for guests seeing that it's been said that they're all booked up.

Urban resorts do lack the "special" feel of the true Aman resorts, I must agree.
I'm surprised that they don't keep back some tables for guests to enjoy as well. That tea set must be quite the moneymaker.

I think next time if someone finds themselves cribless. Just order a crib from Amazon.jp and charge it to Aman. I'm astonished that Kullen or his staff was so insensitive and didn't think of a solution like ordering one from Amazon or asking for one to be customized for Aman Tokyo. They had the time too. Just very disappointing

Last edited by Aventine; Oct 22, 2015 at 5:52 pm
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by alpinecow
Affirmative--I requested in advance over the phone. About 60 days before the stay, the concierge(s) and I also had a back-and-forth email dialogue about a babysitter for our infant one night, so verbal request to reservations aside, they also had pretty clear evidence there was gonna be a baby in the room.
Just curious if it's ever been rather common practice for Japanese infants to be placed on the floor to sleep. I don't consider it all that bad a thing, assuming the infant crawling around doesn't invite harm. But I also doubt that rooms here were all made crawling infant/waddling toddler proof.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Just curious if it's ever been rather common practice for Japanese infants to be placed on the floor to sleep. I don't consider it all that bad a thing, assuming the infant crawling around doesn't invite harm. But I also doubt that rooms here were all made crawling infant/waddling toddler proof.
Japanese use cribs too.
The baby futon seems like a lazy solution if the parents aren't also on the floor.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.dolphinci.com/wp-content/...eport_2015.pdf
Additional works at the Amanzoe Beach Club have been completed. These include a new children’s pool, additional lounging areas and a new reception building which, importantly, has created the opportunity for four beach cabanas to be used as additional income-producing overnight room accommodation.

Executed sales contracts or pre-contracts for the following residential sales:
a. One Villa and one Beach Cabana at Amanzoe

one new villa reservation, the sale of use of one beach cabana
not new information >
Build additional beach cabanas
Buy additional land for new villas
(and they have always included beach cabanas when totaling keys/rooms/bedrooms)

http://architectureau.com/articles/aman-tokyo/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 26, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by pricesquire
There was nothing wrong with Fred, per se, but he wasn't my favorite GM... Always so concerned with a handful of VIPs and borderline ignoring the rest of the guests. Sandra always did it better (and she was rewarded with Kila).
Not what someone expect from an Aman............
Old Oct 26, 2015, 4:58 pm

No crib for a 9 months old....OUT OF THIS WORLD. Aman you MUST be ashamed, this is against the very basic of the service industry.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Just got this

BOARD THE FIRST AMAN PRIVATE JET EXPEDITIONS

In March and April 2016, three intimate itineraries with up to four couples per jet will explore Aman destinations in Asia, accompanied by Aman General Managers. Customised experiences will include a private blessing by resident monks at a Buddhist temple near the Royal Palace of Laos, and a three-day cruise through the volcanic isles of Komodo National Park, renowned for their underwater biodiversity.

There are limited places available on Aman Private Jet expeditions. To make a reservation or discover more, please email [email protected] or call +1 646 403 4128

CHINA, 5 - 11 MARCH 2016
Aman Summer Palace, Amandayan, Amanfayun
Experience a traditional tea ceremony in century-old regal buildings within the Summer Palace in Beijing, and cycle through the gardens of Hangzhou’s UNESCO-protected West Lake.
DISCOVER MORE

INDONESIA, 9 - 16 APRIL 2016
Amanjiwo, Amanwana, Amandira, Amanikan
Embark on an Indonesian voyage that captures a spiritual sunrise over the 9th Century Buddhist temple of Borobudur in Central Java and a jungle trek to the limestone pools of Barry’s Falls on Moyo Island.
DISCOVER MORE

PAN-ASIA, 6 - 20 MARCH 2016
Amanoi, Amantaka, Amansara, Amanpulo,
Aman Tokyo
Journey from the rugged coastline of Nui Chua National Park in Vietnam to the Otemachi Forest in central Tokyo by way of UNESCO-protected Angkor Wat and Luang Prabang.

For reservations or more information, visit aman.com, email [email protected] or call +1 646 403 4128
Wonder what this experience will cost. I also wonder if the flight will be different for amanjiwo to amanwana? Are there closer airfields to amanjiwo they can use or will it still be yogyarkta?

Fdw
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Just got this

Wonder what this experience will cost. I also wonder if the flight will be different for amanjiwo to amanwana? Are there closer airfields to amanjiwo they can use or will it still be yogyarkta?

Fdw
That looks like an amazing journey, but will likely cost more than my life insurance payout. I'm subscribed to their newsletters and didn't get this, so assume it's targeted. I just don't make the Aman grade.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Just got this

Fdw
Close to six figures most likely? Holy smokes
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:04 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Just to be clear, it's three separate journeys. at first that I thought it was one journey. So it's really not that much private flying (except for the Pan Asian trip). So for example the China trip is really just Beijing To Hangzhou to Lijang by plane. All fairly shortish trips. Just wonder what the Aman markup will be.

Fdw

And I don't believe it's targeted. It's not something that would ever be on my radar.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
I can confirm it's not targeted - I just received one as well and am positive that I cannot afford it : )
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:16 am

I just received the email, so yeah, it's not targeted. Just takes a bit longer to get over to this part of the world ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.