Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chelsea2
One interesting point, you noted that the activity list contained a mispriced (or subsequently marked up activity) - I am headed to Amankora in a couple of weeks and had a similar experience. When I went to book one of the activities on the list the price had doubled. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it seems that if when the provide the list to a guest in advance of a visit - they should honor the prices of what is quoted.
Just had the same exact thing here [currently at Amanpuri]....kind of a big misstep, IMO.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
but it seems that if when the provide the list to a guest in advance of a visit - they should honor the prices of what is quoted.
Abselutely - sometimes people choose a hotel with an eye on extra costs. I know, some hotels seems to think money doesn´t play any role in their guests lifes and they are happy to pay every price. If I get wrong prices in advance I think it´s a sign of bad service/ organisation.........
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
Abselutely - sometimes people choose a hotel with an eye on extra costs. I know, some hotels seems to think money doesn´t play any role in their guests lifes and they are happy to pay every price. If I get wrong prices in advance I think it´s a sign of bad service/ organisation.........
+1.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at 3 amans? sounds like new corporate ownership... although they did add low season at kora.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Yes, but I will go high season
Ahhh... I can't seem to afford the Amans during high season so I try to go right no the shoulders...

Originally Posted by chicagocat
I booked directly with the hotel... We have AmEx FHR but I didn't see the value in booking with them because of the winter promotion. I agree that the resort is best suited to adults and pets. For the children's surcharge, I was expecting more child-specific activities and amenities (the robes and slippers were sized for toddlers...)

I would recommend using a Virtuoso agent.. there are many here.. I've had good luck getting the Virtuoso amenities combined with the promotions... and they kept me out of the desert wing...

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
at one point they charged $100 per additional bed. that was before rates went full board. so $100 bed $100 full board. full board for 3rd adult may be more.

amangiri does not require 2 rooms for 2 children like some properties. FS hualalai for example does not allow 2 children in any room or 1BR suite, even largest 2,600ft2.

Musken did "via ferrate climbing, horseback riding" pretty sure both with her son
Ericka "did many activities as a family" and DownUnderFlyer also stayed with child
My wife and I are too high strung when we travel with our kids; always worrying that they are making too much noise or being disruptive... I would think that taking them to Amangiri would be too stressful for us.. maybe a different Aman would be ok (Amanpulo)... plus we really don't like to be in the same room with them because nobody sleeps well so I don't see that Amangiri would deb a great option (unless in a Villa)

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
FDW , thanks for TR ' transporting ' me & possibly us all to Giri . It ' s as if I experienced what you did , what a treat !
What was the temperature like when you were there , 50s / 60s ?
Shocking about the in room coffee though , surely not a locale idiosyncrasy ??
Seems like more off menu meals needed too

The villas will have own chef / housekeeping team anyway if stays are in one , just like at Puri / Pulo , etc .
Did you get to see any ?

Congrats on FBW3
Temperature was 40-50 when raining, 50-65 when sunny...
I would probably have loved to see a simple french press setup and kettle with some nice ground coffee- that wold be quite lovely....

When I return I would spend some more time with the chef trying to go off menu.. I'm sure that they would welcome the challenge to do something different

There only seems to be 1 villa currently built. We did see it. It sits up above Amangiri. Looks nice; I think it's 4 bedrooms AS Khage mentions though:
aman villas in USA are not staffed
1 villa at giri so far - $8,000 4BR
http://themesaamangiri.com/
"option of hiring a House Manager"
"option of reserving the services of Amangiri chefs"
What a great TR - thanks for sharing. I have long wanted to visit Amangiri, but every time I have considered it, I get put off by the logistics of getting there. Glad to read that the drive via LV was not too bad. Your photos and descriptions were very transporting and the pool looks magical as well as the canyon hike.
I thought logistically it was going to be difficult but really wasn't. We had originally planned on a night in LV before and time after in LV but we were really able to get out there in one day. I would recommend at least a night in LV on the way back, especially if you're coming from the East Coast. it's an absolutely spectacular place and truly beautiful.

One interesting point, you noted that the activity list contained a mispriced (or subsequently marked up activity) - I am headed to Amankora in a couple of weeks and had a similar experience. When I went to book one of the activities on the list the price had doubled. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it seems that if when the provide the list to a guest in advance of a visit - they should honor the prices of what is quoted
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Just had the same exact thing here [currently at Amanpuri]....kind of a big misstep, IMO.
at 3 amans? sounds like new corporate ownership... although they did add low season at kora.
Forget to mention this but this also happened with our previous Aman stays. They actually mentioned it at Amankila. Apparently they update the price list in the February/March time frame... we got the old price lists from the reservation department but when the arrival time came the new lists were in effect. I wonder if that happened here... I full keep an eye on extra costs; even though it's an Aman trip I still need to be frugal with my spending. I found the activities pricing to be super high at Amangiri, but I guess that that's the cost of doing business in the USA. I also think that they must have some high rollers who are taking the 6-8K trips to the Grand Canyon or whatever..

Thanks all for reading and commenting.. I'll try to get to the MO LV soon but here's an advance preview: Fine, but definitely meh after Amangiri

FDW
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I try to go right [on] the shoulders...

My wife and I are too high strung when we travel with our kids; always worrying that they are making too much noise or being disruptive... I would think that taking them to Amangiri would be too stressful for us
sounds like chicagocat's easter stay was not full of children
i cant recall what reports here have said, other than following:

2011 >

Originally Posted by xracer
Easter Weekend when there were over 30 children at the resort
2010 >

Originally Posted by tmft
surprised by how many families with kids were there, as we were there midweek in October
happened with our previous Aman stays. They actually mentioned it at Amankila.
Apparently they update the price list in the February/March
did anyone have aman honor quoted prices prior to 2014?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I found the activities pricing to be super high at Amangiri
Yes, totally out of range. For the price they charge you can nearly buy the car they use But without joking, for example the trip to Antelope Canyon was incredible expensive. And it´s absolutely easy to do if you have a car. I can´t imagain to do any activity with them, you get it all so much cheaper.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: CX DM
Lovely TR, thanks. We also just returned from a "babymoon" at Amangiri. We had our 3 y.o. in tow though so probably not quite as relaxing a trip as yours

We were there over Easter; we were subject to the additional charge for a kid in the room but DavidO got it down to 100/night on the basis of someone the size of our son not eating very much.

There were a lot of kids there, and good activities laid on (easter egg hunt, egg painting, smores "class"). They also put a large basket of candy in our room on easter sunday (but left it in sunlight so the included large chocolate bunny was a melted mess by the time we got it, oops)

In general we had a great stay. Rooms were lovely; agree re. the coffee machines though; completely incongruous. People were friendly and nice with our son.

We did do some Amangiri activities:

Firstly the paleontology tour, as our son is borderline-obsessed with dinosaurs. Of course, it was expensive (I think 475 IIRC). It involved a trip to the paleontology centre down the road (which you can drive to yourself in 10 mins and visit for free), followed by fossil hunting. This part would be tougher to do alone as it involves off-roading to get to the right location; and digging around with our guide, who was very knowledgeable, to find ancient sharks' teeth etc. Also splitting rocks with pickaxes to find fossils inside. This was a fun activity for our son and did make the expense worth it as it's not something we get to do every day. But admittedly I would be hard pushed to call it great value.

Secondly we did the Aman three-canyon slot canyon tour. We did Upper Antelope first and if this had been all, I would have been downright horrified that we paid 800USD for the pleasure. However we then visited two additional canyons privately. One had lots of ladders and clambering around; the other had some baby owls and the threat (not realized) of rattlesnakes. These were both really interesting, beautiful, and great to visit with no-one else there. Our son (who had been repeatedly asking to leave Antelope canyon and the crowds) loved these two canyons. And our guide was great, with excellent knowledge, having grown up playing in the canyons himself. So, while again it is hard to argue really good value at 800 for 3 hours, there were advantages to this trip that may make it worth considering, depending what you're looking for. We were happy we had done it.

I completely agree on service compared to the Asian Amans - close but no cigar. While everything was generally fine and we had no major issues, we did have a few small issues that you would not expect at Aman. E.g.
-Having to ask for things twice (after 2 days we actually started to ask 2 different people for pretty much everything just to ensure we would actually get it from one of them).
-Somewhat scattered, confused food service (with the notable exception of Deena, who was our server one night and was faultless). However we did find the actual food (when it finally came) to be of generally high quality.
-Confusion over dinner reservations (the reservations we had made a month in advance oddly changed times with no warning on two of our evenings. this was promptly resolved when we showed the confirming emails we had received from two separate people).
-Pool service almost non-existent - we were in the pool one afternoon and couldn't find towels anywhere when we wanted to get out (and it was cold!). The first person we asked literally disappeared and didn't come back; the second provided the three of us with 1 (one) towelling seat-cover to be our towel (no I'm not kidding). Eventually the third person managed to provide 2 actual towels. I guess small kids don't deserve towels of their own when they get out of the pool

This all said, there were really no service issues I would call serious, just a few irritations. And the service was at least very friendly at all times. I'm sure the fact that it was a very busy weekend probably didn't help things (although I don't tend to have much sympathy for this excuse as it's not as if they have a lot of surprise walk-in guests...)
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

After leaving three separate recent threads on this Aman to run independently for a while, I have combined them all into a single thread. Since this is done by date order, a bit of the continuity may have been lost.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Really enjoyed all the reports. Considering a May trip but a bit weary of what the service is like (had friends who were not so happy).

Who is the new GM since Nicholas left?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Who is the new GM since Nicholas left?
olivro - from dorchester LA (and RC) for past year (post amanresorts sale)

https://pr.linkedin.com/in/ngold gold's linkedin (started 2012) >
Stabilized a dysfunctional management team
Implemented yielding and menu engineering into the programs department
Turned around food & beverage from a failing department to becoming award winning and profitable.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 22, 2015 at 5:08 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Any last minute travelers out there? Not familiar enough w this property to be sure this is a "deal", but it's definitely being marketed as one...

Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Ahhh... I can't seem to afford the Amans during high season so I try to go right no the shoulders...
FDW

5000 other quotes...

Are you Kage's alter ego?

(surely I can't be the only one who picked up on this!)
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:02 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ridefar
Are you Kage's alter ego?

(surely I can't be the only one who picked up on this!)
Not his alter ego...
Kage can pick a quote up from any post no matter how far back... my quotes are merely replies to people who have replied to my post... so instead of replying to each comment separarately I combine it all in one post...

FDW
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Any last minute travelers out there? Not familiar enough w this property to be sure this is a "deal", but it's definitely being marketed as one...

Doesn't open for me

What's the deal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.