FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)
View Single Post
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyingDoctorwu

Originally Posted by offerendum
Yes, but I will go high season
Ahhh... I can't seem to afford the Amans during high season so I try to go right no the shoulders...

Originally Posted by chicagocat
I booked directly with the hotel... We have AmEx FHR but I didn't see the value in booking with them because of the winter promotion. I agree that the resort is best suited to adults and pets. For the children's surcharge, I was expecting more child-specific activities and amenities (the robes and slippers were sized for toddlers...)

I would recommend using a Virtuoso agent.. there are many here.. I've had good luck getting the Virtuoso amenities combined with the promotions... and they kept me out of the desert wing...

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
at one point they charged $100 per additional bed. that was before rates went full board. so $100 bed $100 full board. full board for 3rd adult may be more.

amangiri does not require 2 rooms for 2 children like some properties. FS hualalai for example does not allow 2 children in any room or 1BR suite, even largest 2,600ft2.

Musken did "via ferrate climbing, horseback riding" pretty sure both with her son
Ericka "did many activities as a family" and DownUnderFlyer also stayed with child
My wife and I are too high strung when we travel with our kids; always worrying that they are making too much noise or being disruptive... I would think that taking them to Amangiri would be too stressful for us.. maybe a different Aman would be ok (Amanpulo)... plus we really don't like to be in the same room with them because nobody sleeps well so I don't see that Amangiri would deb a great option (unless in a Villa)

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
FDW , thanks for TR ' transporting ' me & possibly us all to Giri . It ' s as if I experienced what you did , what a treat !
What was the temperature like when you were there , 50s / 60s ?
Shocking about the in room coffee though , surely not a locale idiosyncrasy ??
Seems like more off menu meals needed too

The villas will have own chef / housekeeping team anyway if stays are in one , just like at Puri / Pulo , etc .
Did you get to see any ?

Congrats on FBW3
Temperature was 40-50 when raining, 50-65 when sunny...
I would probably have loved to see a simple french press setup and kettle with some nice ground coffee- that wold be quite lovely....

When I return I would spend some more time with the chef trying to go off menu.. I'm sure that they would welcome the challenge to do something different

There only seems to be 1 villa currently built. We did see it. It sits up above Amangiri. Looks nice; I think it's 4 bedrooms AS Khage mentions though:
aman villas in USA are not staffed
1 villa at giri so far - $8,000 4BR
http://themesaamangiri.com/
"option of hiring a House Manager"
"option of reserving the services of Amangiri chefs"
Originally Posted by chelsea2
What a great TR - thanks for sharing. I have long wanted to visit Amangiri, but every time I have considered it, I get put off by the logistics of getting there. Glad to read that the drive via LV was not too bad. Your photos and descriptions were very transporting and the pool looks magical as well as the canyon hike.
I thought logistically it was going to be difficult but really wasn't. We had originally planned on a night in LV before and time after in LV but we were really able to get out there in one day. I would recommend at least a night in LV on the way back, especially if you're coming from the East Coast. it's an absolutely spectacular place and truly beautiful.

Originally Posted by chelsea2
One interesting point, you noted that the activity list contained a mispriced (or subsequently marked up activity) - I am headed to Amankora in a couple of weeks and had a similar experience. When I went to book one of the activities on the list the price had doubled. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it seems that if when the provide the list to a guest in advance of a visit - they should honor the prices of what is quoted
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Just had the same exact thing here [currently at Amanpuri]....kind of a big misstep, IMO.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Abselutely - sometimes people choose a hotel with an eye on extra costs. I know, some hotels seems to think money doesnīt play any role in their guests lifes and they are happy to pay every price. If I get wrong prices in advance I think itīs a sign of bad service/ organisation.........
at 3 amans? sounds like new corporate ownership... although they did add low season at kora.
Forget to mention this but this also happened with our previous Aman stays. They actually mentioned it at Amankila. Apparently they update the price list in the February/March time frame... we got the old price lists from the reservation department but when the arrival time came the new lists were in effect. I wonder if that happened here... I full keep an eye on extra costs; even though it's an Aman trip I still need to be frugal with my spending. I found the activities pricing to be super high at Amangiri, but I guess that that's the cost of doing business in the USA. I also think that they must have some high rollers who are taking the 6-8K trips to the Grand Canyon or whatever..

Thanks all for reading and commenting.. I'll try to get to the MO LV soon but here's an advance preview: Fine, but definitely meh after Amangiri

FDW