Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We are headed there yet this month and wonder who the manager in residence is?
I've been told the GM is Anthony Duggan
Old May 13, 2016, 8:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Ah , yes that ' s the one .
Quite a number now with no Aman DNA under AZ .
So culture shift happening somewhat , starting from those in HQ ( except for few who care to understand ? )
Hope what was distinctive really won ' t be lost .

Those who have not been to an Aman won ' t have a clue about this , what I am referring to . They will be missing out & wonder " what ' s so great " . Having to " stomach " the rates ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 14, 2016 at 5:28 am
Old May 13, 2016, 9:02 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I've been told the GM is Anthony Duggan
Thank you. Here is his LinkedIn profile. His last position was at the St Regis San Francisco.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Ah , yes that ' s the one .
Quite a number now with no Aman DNA under AZ .
So culture shift happening somewhat , starting from those in HQ ( except for few who care to understand ? )
Hope what was distinctive really won ' t be lost .

Those who have not been to an Aman won ' t have a clue about this , what I am referring too . They will be missing out & wonder " what ' s so great " . Having to " stomach " the rates ..
You are so right..
I am just waiting if they renew Sean's contract at Noi, which is up for renewal soon... if Sean and Sally leave that would be the last straw.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:22 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thank you. Here is his LinkedIn profile. His last position was at the St Regis San Francisco.
I know Mr. Duggan from my many stays at the StR SF, actually. I think he could be a welcome addition to the Aman family...so we should not be so pessimistic, perhaps. He certainly treated me very well and offered tremendous service recovery in the few instances where I ever had issues at the StR SF (my favorite US city hotel by far). The fact that the StR SF is my favorite city hotel in the USA should also speak volumes as to his capabilities.

Too many herein are simply terrified of any change at all. Change is the only constant. Instead of whining about what may be, let's give the new cohort of GMs a chance to put their mark on the properties they now manage or will be managing in the future. It isn't like Amans were perfect before the corporate change, despite the fantasy of that mythology.

I wish Mr. Duggan well and look forward to seeing him again on our next visit to Amangiri.

Last edited by bhrubin; May 13, 2016 at 11:33 am
Old May 13, 2016, 10:56 am

Change for the better is good... I am glad btw about Christina Deeny joining Aman. I really enjoyed my conversations with her, and she has the right spirit.
Old May 14, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by scented
You are so right..
I am just waiting if they renew Sean's contract at Noi, which is up for renewal soon... if Sean and Sally leave that would be the last straw.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I know Mr. Duggan from my many stays at the StR SF, actually. I think he could be a welcome addition to the Aman family...so we should not be so pessimistic, perhaps. He certainly treated me very well and offered tremendous service recovery in the few instances where I ever had issues at the StR SF (my favorite US city hotel by far). The fact that the StR SF is my favorite city hotel in the USA should also speak volumes as to his capabilities.

Too many herein are simply terrified of any change at all. Change is the only constant. Instead of whining about what may be, let's give the new cohort of GMs a chance to put their mark on the properties they now manage or will be managing in the future. It isn't like Amans were perfect before the corporate change, despite the fantasy of that mythology.

I wish Mr. Duggan well and look forward to seeing him again on our next visit to Amangiri.
Change for the better is good... I am glad btw about Christina Deeny joining Aman. I really enjoyed my conversations with her, and she has the right spirit.
Will miss being at the Asian Aman events so will not be able to catch up with quite a number of the GMs then or Christina D . Yes , am very glad that Christina is on board too. Any one here attending any of them later this month ??
FYI , Mark S remains on Bali to take care of another guest event .. That bit of " guests first " is still evident
Trying to see if I can fit in being at Gani myself then , Giri being too hot . Too jet lagged to check schedule ..

Best be at an Aman this year & get to experience the subtle changes / not so subtle . Perhaps a gut feel .
Glad that Harish N is working alongside Paul L at Puri

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 14, 2016 at 5:48 am
Old May 28, 2016, 4:06 pm

I know Mr. Duggan from my many stays at the StR SF, actually. I think he could be a welcome addition to the Aman family.
We are inhouse now. Mr. Duggan has been here for 3 weeks and is a wonderful ambassador for the property. More to come.
Old May 28, 2016, 4:38 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

We are inhouse now. Mr. Duggan has been here for 3 weeks and is a wonderful ambassador for the property. More to come.
Please do give him my best. I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you return. Have a fabulous time!
Old May 28, 2016, 7:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Can't wait to hear. It's a stunning property!

Fdw
Old May 29, 2016, 11:22 am

You are so right..
Indeed - they 're doing a really good job at Noi - we're booked to go back next year late March - 'twill be a real downer if S & S are not there! So fingers crossed!
Old May 31, 2016, 9:10 am

This property is in very good hands with the new GM, Anthony Duggan, at the helm. He is everything that bhrubin said and more. We arrived midday and had several people waiting for us on the car court. We walked up the flight of steps inside and found Anthony ready to welcome us. He had been onsite 3 weeks as of that moment. We immediately clicked and knew he would be a special GM. He checked in on us several times each day, as he did with all guests. We had drinks together and an extended conversation our second night. He has a rich history of hotel management but was not really familiar with the Aman name when he was head hunted. He went thru interviews several levels up the company. Every single person had the same focus on customer satisfaction. Now that he is on property, he can't believe that this is actually where he works and it is indeed a job. He laughs and acknowledges he is in his honeymoon period. He loves it and hopes to be at this property for several years. I believe this property will only get better and better with him at the helm.

Others have already given comprehensive reviews of the property so I will not attempt to do so. I'll just give a few snippets of our experience.

We had a Virtuoso booking. The property was sold out and we did not expect an upgrade. We had booked the base desert room. It was a pleasure to learn we had been upgraded to the mesa view. We walked in the room and hardly noticed the room itself with such a stunning vista. We had room 19. I loved the location. It was very close to the center of the property, across from the swimming pool, near the dining end of the main room, and close to the spa. It was perfect for me.

I am perplexed by the choice of room chairs more suited for those under 5 feet tall. They were so shallow I never even tried them. We are told they are in the budget for replacement. Good.

Food service staff was quite good. They now have 7 Filipinos who have 1 year internships. Each is thrilled for the work opportunity. Regardless of nationality, service was good.

There was an Indian flutist playing both nights. Our second night, we received a turndown gift of a CD of his music.

The property offers a complimentary hike both morning (same each day) and evening (differs each day). The first night, the hike was up the rocks behind the swimming pool, giving a great perspective of how the property is sited.

They have yet to sell the house built on the property, though it is heavily booked. Its price has been dropped from $14MM to $9MM. There is space for more houses but none will be built unless this sells.

My husband didn't like the property price for a slot canyon tour, so booked this company. Apparently, it is the same company who handles tours for Amangiri. They have access to private canyons on Apache land. There were 6 on his tour. He was told that the Upper Antelope Canyon tour, open to any company, will often have 200 people in it at a time.

We loved Amangiri. We stayed after a week of traveling southern Utah, visiting Lake Powell, Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef. Cedar Breaks National Monument was closed by snow. I am bewildered that in the midst of hundreds of miles of stunning scenery, almost no hotel or restaurant sites their buildings to take advantage of the view. This makes Amangiri stand out even more with its isolation in the midst of great natural beauty. I thought this would be a once and over, but I am already thinking about another visit. It would be a pleasure to see what Mr. Duggan has done in another year or so.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:28 am

We could have had an Amanjunkie / FTers mini " Do " last week except that my friends ' schedule changed & it got a bit complicated coordinating our flights .
Plus the heat . Gani was also considered after but being a long weekend , will have to wait till next spring .
Gani / Giri probably full too .

Glad to hear that Giri will likely go from strength to strength now . Looking forward to stay .
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:02 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and liked Mr. Duggan. How were the temps for you in May?

This property is in very good hands with the new GM, Anthony Duggan, at the helm. He is everything that bhrubin said and more. We arrived midday and had several people waiting for us on the car court. We walked up the flight of steps inside and found Anthony ready to welcome us. He had been onsite 3 weeks as of that moment. We immediately clicked and knew he would be a special GM. He checked in on us several times each day, as he did with all guests. We had drinks together and an extended conversation our second night. He has a rich history of hotel management but was not really familiar with the Aman name when he was head hunted. He went thru interviews several levels up the company. Every single person had the same focus on customer satisfaction. Now that he is on property, he can't believe that this is actually where he works and it is indeed a job. He laughs and acknowledges he is in his honeymoon period. He loves it and hopes to be at this property for several years. I believe this property will only get better and better with him at the helm.

Others have already given comprehensive reviews of the property so I will not attempt to do so. I'll just give a few snippets of our experience.

We had a Virtuoso booking. The property was sold out and we did not expect an upgrade. We had booked the base desert room. It was a pleasure to learn we had been upgraded to the mesa view. We walked in the room and hardly noticed the room itself with such a stunning vista. We had room 19. I loved the location. It was very close to the center of the property, across from the swimming pool, near the dining end of the main room, and close to the spa. It was perfect for me.

I am perplexed by the choice of room chairs more suited for those under 5 feet tall. They were so shallow I never even tried them. We are told they are in the budget for replacement. Good.

Food service staff was quite good. They now have 7 Filipinos who have 1 year internships. Each is thrilled for the work opportunity. Regardless of nationality, service was good.

There was an Indian flutist playing both nights. Our second night, we received a turndown gift of a CD of his music.

The property offers a complimentary hike both morning (same each day) and evening (differs each day). The first night, the hike was up the rocks behind the swimming pool, giving a great perspective of how the property is sited.

They have yet to sell the house built on the property, though it is heavily booked. Its price has been dropped from $14MM to $9MM. There is space for more houses but none will be built unless this sells.

My husband didn't like the property price for a slot canyon tour, so booked this company. Apparently, it is the same company who handles tours for Amangiri. They have access to private canyons on Apache land. There were 6 on his tour. He was told that the Upper Antelope Canyon tour, open to any company, will often have 200 people in it at a time.

We loved Amangiri. We stayed after a week of traveling southern Utah, visiting Lake Powell, Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef. Cedar Breaks National Monument was closed by snow. I am bewildered that in the midst of hundreds of miles of stunning scenery, almost no hotel or restaurant sites their buildings to take advantage of the view. This makes Amangiri stand out even more with its isolation in the midst of great natural beauty. I thought this would be a once and over, but I am already thinking about another visit. It would be a pleasure to see what Mr. Duggan has done in another year or so.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:13 am

So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and liked Mr. Duggan. How were the temps for you in May?
Idyllic. As you said, the perfect time of year to travel. Capital Reef is at 10,000 feet and it required a sweater. Amangiri had temps in the mid 70s. Lovely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.