FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

KatW Dec 1, 2016 7:38 pm

Very specific location required:

Best Luxury hotel within 15 blocks or so of MoMA.

Is it The Pierre? The Peninsula? The St. Regis?

DavidO Dec 1, 2016 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 27554010)

Of those choices, my favorite would be the Peninsula.

KatW Dec 1, 2016 8:38 pm

Thank you, DAVID. Do you like another in the area?

DavidO Dec 1, 2016 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 27554215)

I just personally prefer the chic contemporary feel of the Peninsula to the traditional, classic feel of the St Régis across the street. The Pierre has smallish bathrooms with limited vanity space.

I do like the RC Central Park and love the views from the Deluxe Park View — panoramic view of northern Manhattan from over the tree line.

MikeFromTokyo Dec 2, 2016 5:29 am

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 27554215)

All of the midtown luxury hotels meet your requirement of proximity to MoMA.

In addition to the above recommendations, other options would include the Lowell, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, and Park Hyatt.

I would choose The Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, or St. Regis.

vuittonsofstyle Dec 2, 2016 10:42 am

I have never had a good experience at The Pen NYC - just entering that lobby depresses me.

scented Dec 2, 2016 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 27556636)
I have never had a good experience at The Pen NYC - just entering that lobby depresses me.

I thought exactly the same. Also I can't see why anyone would associate contemporary with Peninsula, which is traditional in style and decor.

MikeFromTokyo Dec 2, 2016 7:19 pm

I find the accommodation at the Peninsula very comfortable at the level of Junior Suite and higher.

damaxer91 Jan 2, 2017 4:41 pm

Another stay completed at the Park Hyatt this weekend (this time with my kids) and we really enjoyed. The pool facilities are certainly tops in NYC and the service was excellent once again. They went out of their way to make sure the kids were accommodated and unlike many other Luxury Hotels, they asked in advance for the kids ages and made sure the crib had age-appropriate amenities and was adjusted to the correct height. We ordered food on Seamless a couple of times and the food was always brought up to our room promptly and included ice.

One thing I did notice was that the hotel has a lot of Chinese guests and has hired a staff to reflect that so there were several people on staff who certainly didn't speak English as their primary language. Not a major complaint, just something to keep an eye on.

Ericka Jan 3, 2017 3:36 am

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 27554010)

We've had excellent stays at both the Peninsula and the St. Regis. Both at the suite level. We've got trip reports on this forum if you're interested in searching them out. Service was great at both. It might come down to which decor you like best.

GK1998 Jan 3, 2017 4:55 am

We really loved the Baccarat, we had a classic suite which was very nice and spacious. Excellent service, the Grand Salon is fantastic for meeting with friends to have a snack and drniks.

It's located just opposit the MoMa. This is our current favorite in NYC. I find the Peninsula a bit tired.

^

Goodmorning2U Jan 3, 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Ericka (Post 27696286)
We've had excellent stays at both the Peninsula and the St. Regis. Both at the suite level. We've got trip reports on this forum if you're interested in searching them out. Service was great at both. It might come down to which decor you like best.

Ericka, your trip reports are so enjoyable and invaluable when making decisions!

A few small points to add:

The Peninsula Spa, pool, and gym on the top floor are the best in the city, just above the quality offered by the new Park Hyatt.

The St. Regis recently renovated their gym and wisely moved it to the top of the hotel, but there is no pool or hot tub or sauna (which both Penninsula and Park Hyatt have as very welcome amenities).

Also, thoughts on the Park Hyatt:

I've recently had two stays there in a West Side Suite and have received very good service from everyone, particularly the doormen. Someone in management at the hotel must have received the memo that this area needed a little attention and I'm glad to report it is now a service area running smoothly.

The in room dining, able to be ordered via the in room ipad was simplely prepared but of good quality and taste.

Service: Name recognition could be improved across the board.

Concierge: The concierge provided standout good service, and

Spa: the massage at the spa was excellent. It is isn't well advertised but if you plan on being in NYC often and even if not staying at the hotel, they had a good value spa package, which was something similar to buy 10-hour services and receive thirty percent off and a free service. Enjoy the Asian pears and green tea even if you aren't having a treatment. The views from the corner 25th floor of the hotel are gorgeous.

Breakfast: the fresh fruit and vegetable juices aren't advertised at all but are out of this world. Be sure to ask for what they have prepared that day. Don't miss the apricot scones.

Even without Central Park views the Park Hyatt is a great addition to the NYC hotel luxury market.

damaxer91 Jan 3, 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U (Post 27697651)

The Peninsula Spa, pool, and gym on the top floor are the best in the city, just above the quality offered by the new Park Hyatt.

Disagree with that but would agree that they are both nice

Goodmorning2U Jan 3, 2017 11:08 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91 (Post 27697929)
Disagree with that but would agree that they are both nice

The Mandarin Oriental has as nice a spa facility, some might prefer it to the Peninsula, but even if you are a paying guest you can't use the hot water features, sauna, and steam room, and jacuzzi, unless you book a treatment, with the exception perhaps of an hour or so a day at odd times.

Please share your favorite spa/facility in the city.

RichardInSF Jan 4, 2017 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U (Post 27697651)
...Also, thoughts on the Park Hyatt:

I've recently had two stays there in a West Side Suite and have received very good service from everyone, particularly the doormen. Someone in management at the hotel must have received the memo that this area needed a little attention and I'm glad to report it is now a service area running smoothly....

My comments on this hotel are in the Hyatt forum.

I have had repeated correspondence with the GM on this very topic, going back to my first stay here. The GM changed since I started this process but the current GM got the message. There has been a huge positive difference and I hope it continues at the current level. In my last five night stay, I had to touch one of the front doors only once the whole time.

This is now my regular NYC hotel, replacing in part a hotel nearby which is named something I don't like.