FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

FlyingDoctorwu Mar 3, 2017 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by DSI (Post 27987334)
Great review. This hotel has been on my radar. On another note, is there a luxury-lite hotel (we're going with friends and I would like to stay around $400 a night, given that our friends want to keep it at $300...) that's south of midtown and has rooms large enough for a kid or two? Obviously Crosby is too expensive for this trip.

How about the Edition. LM225 did a review recently and it's got a Madison Park location. Virtuoso as well and often has 3for2 promos...

FDW

United747 Mar 3, 2017 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 27988101)
How about the Edition. LM225 did a review recently and it's got a Madison Park location. Virtuoso as well and often has 3for2 promos...

FDW

AFAIK, no rooms with double beds, which at least rules it out for me when traveling with family.

daniellam Jul 23, 2017 3:20 pm

St. Regis New York

Has anyone here had the chance to stay in any of the top suites (the kind that are usually not bookable online) at any of the luxury hotels in New York?

What were you experiences like? Did you get upgraded (perhaps due to hotel status / Amex FHR / Virtuoso / birthday/anniversary)? Or were you able to get a good rate (reasonable price yet still expensive)?

During one of my stays at the St. Regis New York, I stayed in their Bentley Suite (one of their five Designer Suites).

The following is a video I took of the suite during my stay.

bhrubin Feb 1, 2018 9:10 am

Impressive concierge team at StR New York

So the StR NY team had 4 people on different computers at 8:59 am EST to get us a reservation at Eleven Madison Park for our stay in March—despite that not being a normal reservation for which concierges usually assist at any top hotels due to the Tock online reservation system. And they got us the reservation, sparing me the need to wake up at 5:59 am PST.

They also previously arranged for us to be exempted from the Le Bernadin jacket requirement if the EMP reservation didn’t come through. Fortunately, that doesn’t matter now. EMP has no outdated jacket requirement.

I’d call that pretty wonderful service by the StR NY. FWIW, I’ve never before stayed there, but I do have SPG Plat100 status. We will be staying on a (very good) paid rate.

callmedtop Feb 1, 2018 9:42 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29366758)
So the StR NY team had 4 people on different computers at 8:59 am EST to get us a reservation at Eleven Madison Park for our stay in March—despite that not being a normal reservation for which concierges usually assist at any top hotels due to the Tock online reservation system. And they got us the reservation, sparing me the need to wake up at 5:59 am PST.

They also previously arranged for us to be exempted from the Le Bernadin jacket requirement if the EMP reservation didn’t come through. Fortunately, that doesn’t matter now. EMP has no outdated jacket requirement.

I’d call that pretty wonderful service by the StR NY. FWIW, I’ve never before stayed there, but I do have SPG Plat100 status. We will be staying on a (very good) paid rate.

I'm curious - did you have to push the concierge to help you out with making the reservation on Tock, or were they willing from the get-go? And if the latter, how much of that is related to Plat100, do you think? Like you, I'm surprised they were willing to help out with this given what is I am sure a large number of requests for EMP. All the more better to you for getting them to do it!

Enjoy EMP - not sure if you have been before but it goes down as one of the best dining experiences of my life, and this is coming from someone who typically finds everything overrated!

offerendum Feb 1, 2018 11:09 am

Funny with the jacket..... Personally I have no problem with it especially as this "jacket required" policy is far from what I understand under elegant clothes as you can wear some trousers with a shirt and jacket (any one?!) and not even a tie. But I´m also like my personal freedom and hates when getting dictated a dress code. I´m even some Kind of offended as it gives the Impression that they think I´m not able to choose appropriate clothes. But that´s an Special Thing in my eyes. During my visits in the U.S. I got the Impression that especially there People like to get dress codes. It´s getting more and more popular in Europe what is a terrible:
But back to topic: The service level sounds exceptional if due to the general class of StR or Plat100. I was a little bit angry at MO that they weren´t able to get me a table at Per Se for dinner.

BESVISOR Feb 1, 2018 11:30 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29366758)

Going up next week...seem to always miss timing it with you :)

Was trying to get a table at Eleven Mad, concierge at Baccarat couldn't get us in. But in their defense, I only gave a week's notice, an impossible task.

offerendum Feb 1, 2018 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 29367438)
concierge at Baccarat couldn't get us in. But in their defense, I only gave a week's notice, an impossible task.

Would be interested in a Review about Baccarat;)

BESVISOR Feb 1, 2018 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 29367796)

I've been saying the same and no one has! Thus, I'm heading up to conduct my own independent research :)

Will be sure to report back to all. Cheers!

United747 Feb 1, 2018 12:54 pm

Everything is pretty insanely priced for a quick trip in April. Debating on biting the bullet and paying near $1,100 per night or just staying at a mid tier place.

bhrubin Feb 1, 2018 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop (Post 29366919)
I'm curious - did you have to push the concierge to help you out with making the reservation on Tock, or were they willing from the get-go? And if the latter, how much of that is related to Plat100, do you think? Like you, I'm surprised they were willing to help out with this given what is I am sure a large number of requests for EMP. All the more better to you for getting them to do it!

Enjoy EMP - not sure if you have been before but it goes down as one of the best dining experiences of my life, and this is coming from someone who typically finds everything overrated!

When I asked originally many months ago, they did tell me they weren't able to assist due to the Tock requirement. We since had worked on alternative options--which ended up coming down to Chef's Table (jacket req't) and Le Bernardin (would waive jacket req't pretty much). The head concierge got involved early to help me with the jacket issue, and we had a wonderful repartee. She ended up offering to assign some concierge team members to try for us--through my Ambassador, who was helping to create a Tock account so they could do it. Instead, I switched my Tock password and told them to try from my account on my behalf. It worked!

She did come to realize that our entire weekend at the StR was predicated on the hope for dinner at EMP--after many previous attempts and even a few occasions where we had to cancel our trip. I think that made a difference. I think it also was about our great repartee and positive experience--and because I'm so damn charming, of course. :D And gay men rule, haha. :D

I can't wait. As I mentioned above, I've never been--despite a few res made but canceled due to circumstances beyond my control...and a few unsuccessful attempts. I'm overdue!

I'd say my most memorable meals of all time include (in no particular order) Alinea, Noma, Geranium, Saam at the Bazaar Los Angeles, The Test Kitchen, The Tasting Room, Saison, Atelier Crenn, Benu, Cyrus, Il Luogo di Aimo de Nadie, Amber, Mikla, and La Cena del Oro at MAP Cafe. So EMP will have tough competition against which to measure up!

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 29367343)
During my visits in the U.S. I got the Impression that especially there People like to get dress codes. It´s getting more and more popular in Europe what is a terrible.

We live in Southern California, where dress codes are truly anathema. Even in NorCal, only the French Laundry of all the 3* (and 2* and 1*) restaurants continues with an absurd jacket requirement. And I'd say the SF Bay Area is doing quite well in the Michelin guide. Yet another reason I will never return or bother with Per Se.

I think the USA is better than Europe with dress codes...but I think Europeans dress better on average than most Americans. Maybe not in the league of 2* and 3* restaurants, though, where I think most everyone dresses pretty well.

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 29367343)
The service level sounds exceptional if due to the general class of StR or Plat100. I was a little bit angry at MO that they weren´t able to get me a table at Per Se for dinner.

I think my personal circumstances (and perhaps my SPG Plat100 status) were helpful, and I also think I know how to engage with people. I also think the StR concierge team is clearly quite excellent. The head concierge had already gone well above and beyond in trying to negotiate away the jacket requirement at Chef's Table, Le Bernardin, etc. I wouldn't have been upset, though, knowing how quickly those reservations go.

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 29367796)

@BESVISOR +1 for me!

MikeFromTokyo Feb 1, 2018 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 29367893)
Everything is pretty insanely priced for a quick trip in April. Debating on biting the bullet and paying near $1,100 per night or just staying at a mid tier place.

I think that depends on the nature of your stay, and whether or not that room rate will significantly impact your budget. If it’s a special occasion or a romantic getaway, it’s probably worth it. On the other hand, if a midrange hotel will suffice and the money can be better put to use elsewhere, such as for shopping or dining, then maybe that’s the way to go.

For me, $1100 per night is more than I want to pay for a room in New York (unless perhaps it were a park view tower room at FS, for example). What I would likely do is make a cancellable reservation for a good value four star upscale property as a fallback, and then continue to check for better rates at top hotels.

BESVISOR Feb 1, 2018 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 29367893)

Where do you need to be in the city? FS Downtown is maybe $800 depending on your dates.

United747 Feb 1, 2018 1:47 pm

[​​​​​QUOTE=MikeFromTokyo;29368092]

I think that depends on the nature of your stay, and whether or not that room rate will significantly impact your budget. If it’s a special occasion or a romantic getaway, it’s probably worth it. On the other hand, if a midrange hotel will suffice and the money can be better put to use elsewhere, such as for shopping or dining, then maybe that’s the way to go.

For me, $1100 per night is more than I want to pay for a room in New York (unless perhaps it were a park view tower room at FS, for example). What I would likely do is make a cancellable reservation for a good value four star upscale property as a fallback, and then continue to check for better rates at top hotels.
[/QUOTE]

​​​​​​​Thanks MikeFromTokyo. That’s where I am at this point. Got a reservation at the IC Barclay with my ambassador certificate and continually checking my preferred places (Pen, StR, FS, and Bacarrat). I’ve just never seen prices this high.

United747 Feb 1, 2018 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 29368122)
Where do you need to be in the city? FS Downtown is maybe $800 depending on your dates.

I don’t mind downtown, in fact, really like the FS there. I just need 2 beds, which brings the cost to $965 iirc.