FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

mike_la_jolla Sep 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 27280814)
What do you mean re: the Baccarat? Specifics?

And what don't you like about the Mandarin Oriental? Plaza?

Had disastrous stays at the Plaza and MO NYC.

- Comments about Plaza (#13 in this thread) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17840706-post13.html

- MO NYC was terrible at, uhhh, everything. I had forgotten how bad my stay was:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24692558-post34.html
I'd add that MO NYC was TERRIBLE for Easter. They had shut *everything* down. They refused to do a la carte BK in the resturant, unforgivable for a hotel of this caliber. That doesn't speak well for XMAS.

- I've eaten in the bar at the Baccarat and did a site inspection. It is just an uncomfortable place. Dining is awkward, to the point of impossible. Did the restaurant downstairs reopen? Comments here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25591418-post47.html

vuittonsofstyle Sep 30, 2016 9:39 am

I am waiting for Firmdale's Whitby Hotel to open (Dec 2016), but I will leave it a couple of months to settle down before I stay. I will also check out Baccarat, if only for the chandeliers.

SojournsOf Nov 13, 2016 10:07 pm

Crosby Street Hotel

Does anyone have an email for the GM of Crosby Street Hotel?

Kagehitokiri Nov 14, 2016 10:42 am

firmdalehotels.com/hotels/new-york/crosby-street-hotel/contacts/
nice when hotels/companies publish it
listed - assistant GM now (acting?) GM?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kathrin-apitz-1489a35

submonte Nov 14, 2016 11:27 am

The Plaza?

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 27281507)
Had disastrous stays at the Plaza and MO NYC.

- Comments about Plaza (#13 in this thread) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17840706-post13.html

- MO NYC was terrible at, uhhh, everything. I had forgotten how bad my stay was:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24692558-post34.html
I'd add that MO NYC was TERRIBLE for Easter. They had shut *everything* down. They refused to do a la carte BK in the resturant, unforgivable for a hotel of this caliber. That doesn't speak well for XMAS.

- I've eaten in the bar at the Baccarat and did a site inspection. It is just an uncomfortable place. Dining is awkward, to the point of impossible. Did the restaurant downstairs reopen? Comments here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25591418-post47.html

Except NY during UN (your post of 2012) and other events - Anything wrong with The Plaza as luxury hotel?

Location is top, isnīt it? 5th Ave/Central Park S, Bergdorf Goodman opposite, Madison one block away, many famous shops, restaurants, bars within walking distance.

If I am right - correct me please if not -, some renovation done recently, Palm Court, Rose Bar, lobby, etc., some suites eventually? Food on-site is ok? (for spoiled European taste :rolleyes:) Service is ok? (I am not a royal so for me those 5 stars will be enough I guess :p). Jazz Wednesdays ^

Prices from around 600$ per night for "Plaza room" (next April I would go to NYC for one week) seem reasonably? (eventually I could also manage to get a complimentary night as member of Fairmont Presidents Club) Any room categories to avoid at The Plaza?

The MO is newer and maybe more perfect, but the location? Peninsula appears very luxurious but is eventually not where I want to stay when in NYC. St. Regis and Ritz-Carlton I would consider as alternatives to The Plaza (style, location).

Thanks for any input!

SojournsOf Nov 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 27478759)
firmdalehotels.com/hotels/new-york/crosby-street-hotel/contacts/
nice when hotels/companies publish it
listed - assistant GM now (acting?) GM?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kathrin-apitz-1489a35

Wonder who is the actual GM - this Kathrin Apitz or Annelle Kapp as per website? In NYC for fashion week and my partner's 40th so I need some special arrangements at the hotel.

Out of interest, how do people generally book Crosby? I noticed it isn't Virtuoso. I've got a res through Grand Luxury Hotels - included confirmed upgrade, breakfast, champagne.

op487062 Nov 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by submonte (Post 27478996)
Except NY during UN (your post of 2012) and other events - Anything wrong with The Plaza as luxury hotel?

Location is top, isnīt it? 5th Ave/Central Park S, Bergdorf Goodman opposite, Madison one block away, many famous shops, restaurants, bars within walking distance.

If I am right - correct me please if not -, some renovation done recently, Palm Court, Rose Bar, lobby, etc., some suites eventually? Food on-site is ok? (for spoiled European taste :rolleyes:) Service is ok? (I am not a royal so for me those 5 stars will be enough I guess :p). Jazz Wednesdays ^

Prices from around 600$ per night for "Plaza room" (next April I would go to NYC for one week) seem reasonably? (eventually I could also manage to get a complimentary night as member of Fairmont Presidents Club) Any room categories to avoid at The Plaza?

The MO is newer and maybe more perfect, but the location? Peninsula appears very luxurious but is eventually not where I want to stay when in NYC. St. Regis and Ritz-Carlton I would consider as alternatives to The Plaza (style, location).

Thanks for any input!

For the same location, I prefer the Taj Pierre (61st St/5th Ave). A little smaller, definitely not as chaotic, views are a little better, and service is better.

FlyerEC Nov 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Thanks for any input!

Rather not stay at The Plaza but " pop in " . Was in Mandarin ( MONY ) in June room with Central Park views . The service has improved from previous stay & we were attended to promptly in the lounge area . Service with a smile on more than once .
Location is ok & walking distance for some shows in Broadway too . Saved us the hassle of getting a limo , cab or friends ' chauffeurs pick us .

We liked refurbished The Mark , UES , on 77 th / Madison just by Central Park . Besides being near museums , walking distance to Frick too , it has numerous restaurants & fine shopping around in a quieter residential area ;) besides her own .
Has the most expensive suite in the world ? Not occupied by us & as occupancy was running at capacity , I think was already taken up so no viewing ..

RichardInSF Nov 15, 2016 3:22 am

Currently back again in the Park Hyatt NYC. The hotel restaurant is currently closed for renovations but other than that service has overall improved here. I am pleased with the progress made, particularly with the doormen and entrance area where now, for most of the day, they are able to check-in arriving guests quickly and efficiently, allowing skipping a stop at the front desk.

offerendum Nov 15, 2016 4:48 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 27480249)
Has the most expensive suite in the world ? Not occupied by us & as occupancy was running at capacity , I think was already taken up so no viewing ..

Stoped counting all the most expensive suites in the world;) One day I will open a hotel and offer a cupbord at 1 million €

Cityflyer10 Nov 15, 2016 5:31 am

Thanks for any input!

Worth noting that 5th ave may or may not be closed by Secret service by then...at the very least there will be serious traffic problems a fair amount of the time on that section of 5th ave...

BLV Nov 15, 2016 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 27480249)
Rather not stay at The Plaza but " pop in ".

We liked refurbished The Mark , UES , on 77 th / Madison just by Central Park . Besides being near museums , walking distance to Frick too , it has numerous restaurants & fine shopping around in a quieter residential area ;) besides her own .

+1 on the above.

The location of The Plaza is too touristy & smells of horse$h!t & street vendors, because, well, they are parked literally across the street and then along the entire length of Central Park South (true for both horses & vendors).

If you want a more upscale location with a residential feel that still has you steps away from shopping & dining, as mentioned above, The Mark is a better option. Jazz is almost across the street at the Carlyle and you can often catch Woody Allen perform there.

CanuckFlyHigh Nov 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Which hotel in NYC would have the best concierge with a chance at getting me a reservation to Le Cou Cou next Wednesday? Would choose my hotel based on that. Thanks.

svo242 Nov 21, 2016 7:47 pm

Just had a stay at the Park Hyatt and was pleased with high levels of service and an excellent hard product.

RichardInSF Nov 21, 2016 9:02 pm

There has been a significant improvement in the PH NYC service, particularly in the front door area. Everything now works way more smoothly and is way more customer friendly than before.