FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

BESVISOR Feb 1, 2018 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 29368143)
I don’t mind downtown, in fact, really like the FS there. I just need 2 beds, which brings the cost to $965 iirc.

PM'ed you...may be able to ask for a favor.

instyleprincess Feb 1, 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29366758)
So the StR NY team had 4 people on different computers at 8:59 am EST to get us a reservation at Eleven Madison Park for our stay in March—despite that not being a normal reservation for which concierges usually assist at any top hotels due to the Tock online reservation system. And they got us the reservation, sparing me the need to wake up at 5:59 am PST.

They also previously arranged for us to be exempted from the Le Bernadin jacket requirement if the EMP reservation didn’t come through. Fortunately, that doesn’t matter now. EMP has no outdated jacket requirement.

I’d call that pretty wonderful service by the StR NY. FWIW, I’ve never before stayed there, but I do have SPG Plat100 status. We will be staying on a (very good) paid rate.

Wow I never really considered StR NY but this sounds pretty impressive. Will consider staying with them next time in NYC

dlesin Feb 1, 2018 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 29368143)
I don’t mind downtown, in fact, really like the FS there. I just need 2 beds, which brings the cost to $965 iirc.

I live in the building and just called down to the reservations desk, if you just need a basic room with 2 beds and not a suite they told me they were running $600~/night on some random sample of dates in april

United747 Feb 1, 2018 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by dlesin (Post 29369640)
I live in the building and just called down to the reservations desk, if you just need a basic room with 2 beds and not a suite they told me they were running $600~/night on some random sample of dates in april

Thanks, I think the issue is that I’m looking the weekend that is both the end of Passover as well and the weekend opener for the Yankees.

laf747 Feb 2, 2018 8:29 am

"So the StR NY team had 4 people on different computers at 8:59 am EST to get us a reservation at Eleven Madison Park for our stay in March—despite that not being a normal reservation for which concierges usually assist at any top hotels due to the Tock online reservation system

"For those of us who are part of the "great unwashed masses" pray tell what is "Tock"?

bhrubin Feb 2, 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by laf747 (Post 29371308)
"So the StR NY team had 4 people on different computers at 8:59 am EST to get us a reservation at Eleven Madison Park for our stay in March—despite that not being a normal reservation for which concierges usually assist at any top hotels due to the Tock online reservation system"For those of us who are part of the "great unwashed masses" pray tell what is "Tock"?

I’m not sure from what or where the “great unwashed masses” comment comes, but Tock is an online ticket purchase service used by restaurants usually in high demand. Tock allows (requires) one to purchase non-refundable tickets for dinner and wine pairings in advance, which serve as the equivalent to a reservation. I’d used Tock previously to secure tickets/reservations to Alinea in Chicago and minibar by Jose Andres in Washington, DC. Before Alinea, I don’t think I’d ever heard of Tock, either.

laf747 Feb 2, 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29371331)

I’m not sure from what or where the “great unwashed masses” comment comes, but Tock is an online ticket purchase service used by restaurants usually in high demand. Tock allows (requires) one to purchase non-refundable tickets for dinner and wine pairings in advance, which serve as the equivalent to a reservation. I’d used Tock previously to secure tickets/reservations to Alinea in Chicago and minibar by Jose Andres in Washington, DC. Before Alinea, I don’t think I’d ever heard of Tock, either.

The comment was a poor attempt at humor. Apologies if offensive was taken. That was certainly not my intent. Thanks for the explanation of Tock

United747 Feb 2, 2018 10:51 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29371331)

Not to bring us too off topic, I think Tock was originally a collaboration between someone at Alinea and elsewhere.

scubadu Feb 2, 2018 11:54 am

Originally Posted by instyleprincess (Post 29368724)
Wow I never really considered StR NY but this sounds pretty impressive. Will consider staying with them next time in NYC

No doubt it's a fine property, but I would not necessarily assume your experience will mimic that of bhrubin...

Regards

bhrubin Feb 2, 2018 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 29372286)
No doubt it's a fine property, but I would not necessarily assume your experience will mimic that of bhrubin...

Regards

I'm not sure I like your tone. :D

daniellam Feb 2, 2018 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29373384)

Maybe next time I stay there, I should put in the comments section of my booking "The BHRUBIN treatment"

:p

Perhaps bhrubin will get upgraded to one of the Milano, Dior, Tiffany, Bentley, Presidential, Royal, Imperial suites?

bhrubin Feb 2, 2018 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 29373485)
Perhaps bhrubin will get upgraded to one of the Milano, Dior, Tiffany, Bentley, Presidential, Royal, Imperial suites?

Dare to dream...but I confess the Bentley is the most masculine and appealing to me. I will be grateful and thrilled to get one of the entry level suites, to be honest. It's just the 2 of us for 2 nights. Besides, the hotel already earned my gratitude for getting me EMP--and that's what the whole weekend really was most about for me.

But I am pretty very curious to see what I think of the StR NY now after such amazing concierge service. We also are probably going to do Table 55 the other night. #goforbroke #mightaswell

scubadu Feb 3, 2018 6:01 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29373384)

Oh no tone intended at all. With your spend, etc. you absolutely merit the treatment you get. But not sure infrequent readers in this (or the SPG) forum understand the "why" behind some of your stays/experiences.

My wife is a mere "mortal" SPG Platinum and we have stayed at several of the same properties you have, but I assure you, though our experiences are fine for us (and map to our expectations and needs) they have never been anywhere near the type of stays you report (and we are fine by that, by the way)

Regards

United747 Feb 3, 2018 6:49 am

Looks like the StR now has a “destination fee” of $50 per night.

I do have to say, it includes a lot:
$50 f&b credit
$50 laundry or dry cleaning credit
$25 salon credit
internet, local, long distance calls
2 MoMA or Met tickets
1,000 points

bhrubin Feb 3, 2018 7:57 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 29374640)
Oh no tone intended at all. With your spend, etc. you absolutely merit the treatment you get. But not sure infrequent readers in this (or the SPG) forum understand the "why" behind some of your stays/experiences.

My wife is a mere "mortal" SPG Platinum and we have stayed at several of the same properties you have, but I assure you, though our experiences are fine for us (and map to our expectations and needs) they have never been anywhere near the type of stays you report (and we are fine by that, by the way)

Regards

Agreed. (And I do hope you know I was kidding, as you had no tone at all!)

But I’m not alone in that regard. I just don’t need a special TA or other connections. My SPG Plat100 Ambassador elite status is akin to someone else staying often at the same (luxury) hotel and/or using an amazing and connected TA.

I also tend to ask for what I want on my own. Most people don’t even ask in the first place IME. Even here in this Forum. That has nothing to do with my SPG status.

Keep in mind, also, that while we’ve had tremendous experiences (beyond the “normal” treatment, as you say) at so many StR and Luxury Collection properties within SPG, we’ve also had some pretty incredible experiences beyond “normal” treatment even at several Aman properties, The Upper House, Cavas Wine Lodge, Singita Boulders, etc.

Heck, even the Peninsula Paris went way above board with us most recently in October, offering to keep their amazing rooftop restaurant open later just for us to enjoy lunch—and we weren’t even staying there!

I honestly believe that our manner and approach, and definitely my preference to actually ask for what I want or hope for instead of just hoping it may happen, go a long way toward us getting such wonderful experiences and service from so many hotels. Those also are part of the reason I have so many great service recovery stories, I think.