FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

Cityflyer10 Apr 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop (Post 29660782)
Bar area was buzzing even on a weeknight, which I like.

Worth noting that it is in the same building as Credit Suisse so weeknights are very heavy on the finance types which may not be everyone’s cup of tea

ellyrambo May 4, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by HKTraveler (Post 29660759)
Has anyone been to the New York Edition hotel? The location looks great and is near Madison Square Park. Am especially interested in recent reports since the ones that are available on FT seems to be from a while back

I recently returned from the Edition. I stayed in a Loft Suite, and it's the smallest category I'd consider for two. I prefer the Gramercy Park Hotel, but the views and breakfast at the Edition are better. The rooms are too bright at night for my liking. The AC was fine for April (not so much for my previous stay in July).

The spa is a few treatment rooms for massages adjacent to the fitness center. I had a good massage, but it's a stretch to call it a spa.

callmedtop May 4, 2018 1:56 pm

We stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel for our wedding in early April in the Park View Suite and would not recommend it. It is 4.5* luxury, not 5*, with a hard product that is not up to speed given the rates they charge. The location is spectacular, potentially my favorite in Manhattan, but even though we got married in the hotel we will not be returning on future trips to NYC (as much as I would have loved to make that a tradition!).

brandie May 6, 2018 8:16 am

I've stayed at the New York Edition twice. I stayed the first weekend of December 2017 and I stayed for a long weekend a week ago.
I really like the location. Each time I've had a great view of the Empire State Building and the river. First time I was upgraded to a large
corner room that had a bathtub and shower. Second visit I was in a corner room with a shower only.
The breakfast is really good if you can get the room/breakfast package deal. Each visit I got the room/breakfast package deal. I considered
the Gramercy Park Hotel but they did not offer a room/breakfast package deal. I have to eat gluten free due to celiac disease and everything is "no problem" at breakfast. I agree with the previous poster that the views and the breakfast are stellar.

The lobby turns into a club at around 5:30 pm each night and it is a happening place. The New York Edition lobby/club gets a young hip crowd which is not us as we are in our mid fifties but we just walk through to the elevators and are happy everyone is having fun.

Beds are comfy and rooms are a good size. Staff is young, upbeat and positive. Rooms are very quiet.

DavidO May 6, 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by brandie (Post 29721474)
I've stayed at the New York Edition twice... The breakfast is really good if you can get the room/breakfast package deal. Each visit I got the room/breakfast package deal.

No reason to book the more expensive B&B rate. Breakfast is included at the Virtuoso rate — not to mention an additional $100 F&B credit. The Virtuoso rate is equal to the regular rate), and the New York Edition is bookable on Virtuoso.com.

bhrubin May 6, 2018 8:35 am

St. Regis New York one of the best in the world

I’d forgotten to mention that we had a gloriously impeccable stay in March at the St. Regis New York. My Expert Review:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ular-stay-2408

There is no question to us that the StR New York is one of the best luxury hotels in New York City, and it unquestionably is one of our greatest stays of all-time anywhere in the world. (We’ve added the StR New York as the 14th property on our previous list of 13 all time best stays.)

I suppose its not having a pool can be an issue for some, and the Beaux Arts/traditional style may not be to everyone’s liking. It isn’t our style, and yet we loved the hotel and found it extraordinarily comfortable, regardless. To me, that says a lot.

And the service and food/beverage are incomparable. Our Table 55 experience at the King Cole Bar was better even than our dinner the next night at Eleven Madison Park. That most certainly says a lot. The fact that the concierge team even got us the booking at EMP says quite a lot, too.

brandie May 6, 2018 8:42 am

Stayed at Lotte Palace New York (next to St Patricks Cathedral) in October of 2017. We stayed in the hotel part. Lobby is stellar. Rooms in the hotel part are average at best.

brandie May 6, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks for the tip David re: Virtuoso and the New York Edition rate!

RichardInSF May 6, 2018 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by brandie (Post 29721556)
Thanks for the tip David re: Virtuoso and the New York Edition rate!

This is pretty much true for all hotels in either the Virtuoso or Amex Fine Hotels program (the latter for Platinum and Centurion card holders). Instead of discounting from rack, they add features.

JohnRain Oct 9, 2018 6:00 am

Planning a trip in November; interested in recent reviews, especially about the Baccarat or FS.

chad75 Oct 9, 2018 7:05 am

Spent six nights in a Terrace Suite at the Whitby Hotel while attending the tennis - truly a throughly enjoyable hotel. Extremely well furnished in terms of comfort, obviously thoughts on styling are very subjective, the room also felt a lot larger than it was. Absolutely loved the terrace - perhaps in November not so much! Soundproofing and bed comfort absolutely superb.

Bar is really excellent - breakfast is adequate. What I really liked was being a smaller hotel you do get to know the staff quite well - and shock horror they are all allowed to retain their own unique personalities as opposed to the drone like beings you get at some hotels.

Little nitpicking - the blackout curtains had some light bleed. Afternoon tea brings in a lot of non guests into the living areas. Again very subjective but some of the public areas are furnished in a manner that is starting to cross into unintentional self-parody. Also I know it is part of the "brand" but a seperate bidet? Get with the times and put in a toto. I'm sure I'm in a minority with this view - but the space "wasted" on the screening room would have made an awesome indoor pool. :)

Definitely worth considering as a smaller more personal hotel.

Aventine Oct 9, 2018 7:09 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain (Post 30295052)
Planning a trip in November; interested in recent reviews, especially about the Baccarat or FS.

I enjoyed my brief stay at FS Downtown but you probably mean FS New York.

JohnRain Oct 9, 2018 7:16 am

Indeed, FS New York.

vuittonsofstyle Oct 9, 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by chad75 (Post 30295223)
Spent six nights in a Terrace Suite at the Whitby Hotel while attending the tennis - truly a throughly enjoyable hotel. Extremely well furnished in terms of comfort, obviously thoughts on styling are very subjective, the room also felt a lot larger than it was. Absolutely loved the terrace - perhaps in November not so much! Soundproofing and bed comfort absolutely superb.

Bar is really excellent - breakfast is adequate. What I really liked was being a smaller hotel you do get to know the staff quite well - and shock horror they are all allowed to retain their own unique personalities as opposed to the drone like beings you get at some hotels.

Little nitpicking - the blackout curtains had some light bleed. Afternoon tea brings in a lot of non guests into the living areas. Again very subjective but some of the public areas are furnished in a manner that is starting to cross into unintentional self-parody. Also I know it is part of the "brand" but a seperate bidet? Get with the times and put in a toto. I'm sure I'm in a minority with this view - but the space "wasted" on the screening room would have made an awesome indoor pool. :)

Definitely worth considering as a smaller more personal hotel.

The thing I like about The Greenwich is they don't allow outsiders into the lounge, so it's much quieter and residential.

thelark Oct 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Just got back from RC Central Park:

No upgrade even though rooms appeared available.

We found the club lounge to be lacking with respect to food choices and operating hours. For example, when stopping for hors d'oeuvres in the early evening, finding desserts out (before 8pm on a weekend). The staff was clearing the lounge around 10pm and shutting down for 10:30, which is the perfect time for a post-dinner drink. Guests were told that they were welcome to stay in the lounge until security would make their rounds :rolleyes: Absolutely not worth the cost.

Asked for a late checkout and I was told that only 1pm would be possible. I indicated to the front desk clerk that Platinum members have a 4pm "guaranteed" late check out and was told, "The guarantee is only to 2pm so we can stretch it to that." Either way it was irrelevant as we had to be in Chelsea and couldn't be back up to the hotel until after 2. Our plan was to be able to pack and clean up at the hotel and then check out at 4 to head to the airport. With that not being an option, we had to then rush to pack everything and get it downstairs to check out at 11. It actually threw off our entire day.

At least the rooms were a decent size and were well maintained.