FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

cornwall4000 Feb 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 35988229)
The Beekman is a Thompson hotel which is a chain owned by Hyatt.

Well aware of this.
In contrast to the Hyatt-proper brands, though, I have really liked the four Thompsons I've stayed at over the years.
While not 100% blown-off-the-planet by them, I consider them 100% luxury. Like any marque, Thompson has its own style, rhythm and unique set of pecularities.
(This sub doesn't always look so kindly on the Thompson marque either, in fact, anyhow.)
In any case, the Thompson brand and the Park Hyatt brand could hardly be more disparate.
Park Hyatt is the brand i noted in my post as a marque that's feted nearly across-the-board here, in stark contrast to Thompson.
I'd choose Beekman all-day-every-day over any Park Hyatt I've stayed at.
Again, this is just one opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 35988229)
I don’t mind the round-robin discussions of what is and is not luxury. This IS the Luxury Hotels and Travel Forum.

Me neither and of course it is.
Discussions are one thing, but authoritative stances and dying-on-a-hill only in service of passionately contradicting someone else's opinion (about a hotel!) are the specific kind of 'discussions' i'm talking about.
I'm not claiming they're a frequent occurrence here; if they were i wouldn't be checking in on the weekly to read great stuff about places i want to go.
But, sadly, we're all human. And i suppose no public internet forum can totally avoid these sorts of flare-ups, but it's a bummer when they happen here.
(And again, more frustratingly, often by people who themselves admit they've never seen the properties they're endeavoring to destroy in textual form.)

This public forum actually has a great track record since I've been reading it, the mods do a great job at getting rid of uberhotheads, scams, people asking about $300-a-night hotels, etc.
But when i see it here, it's a bummer. Like a fantastic garden with one or two small patches of weeds.

When I do see an opinion here (anywhere, really) that i'm not quite square with, it's so much easier to just move on to the next post.
So that's what i usually try to do.
If someone's giving out actual, verifiably false information, that's another matter.

jman4321 Apr 19, 2024 4:19 am

Would love thoughts from the group on The Lowell (entry level room is 400 sq. feet) versus the Carlyle Madison King room (Madison ave view). I’ve not stayed at either and I do like the restaurant at the Carlyle, but haven’t been for years. They are very close to each other and the location is suitable for where I need to be. Thanks in advance!

Phillbsb1979 Apr 19, 2024 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by jman4321 (Post 36172223)
Would love thoughts from the group on The Lowell (entry level room is 400 sq. feet) versus the Carlyle Madison King room (Madison ave view). I’ve not stayed at either and I do like the restaurant at the Carlyle, but haven’t been for years. They are very close to each other and the location is suitable for where I need to be. Thanks in advance!

For me, choosing The Lowell is a no-brainer here. Even their entry-level rooms don't feel basic; they have a residential charm that's hard to define. I would opt for The Carlyle if you're really into the bar scene there, which is indeed fantastic. I also prefer the service at The Lowell; it feels more personal and warm. This is an entirely unbiased opinion, even though I tend to get better perks when booking through Rosewood Elite...

ABG Apr 19, 2024 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by jman4321 (Post 36172223)

The bathrooms are much larger at The Lowell..... if that matters to you. The Jacques Bar at The Lowell is great, but it can be empty. Whereas the Carlyle is usually buzzy.
If you hit the right timing at The Lowell upgrades can be great. They have a lot of paid suite guests, but sometimes they oversell rooms when those types of clients are not around as much (summer time for example)

cornwall4000 Apr 19, 2024 3:29 pm

Big Lowell fan.
One of my favorites in town.
They've been delivering at a consistently high level for a long time now.

Haven't been to Carlyle post Rosewood. It's never been a hotel I've gravitated towards, except to hang at Bemelman's. Saw such great talent there... Barbara Cook, Joe Bushkin.
But I'd choose the Lowell.

obscure2k Apr 19, 2024 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by cornwall4000 (Post 36173624)
Big Lowell fan.
One of my favorites in town.
They've been delivering at a consistently high level for a long time now.

Haven't been to Carlyle post Rosewood. It's never been a hotel I've gravitated towards, except to hang at Bemelman's. Saw such great talent there... Barbara Cook, Joe Bushkin.
But I'd choose the Lowell.

How could you forget Bobby Short.:)

Vaterland Apr 19, 2024 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Phillbsb1979 (Post 36173490)
For me, choosing The Lowell is a no-brainer here. Even their entry-level rooms don't feel basic; they have a residential charm that's hard to define. I would opt for The Carlyle if you're really into the bar scene there, which is indeed fantastic. I also prefer the service at The Lowell; it feels more personal and warm. This is an entirely unbiased opinion, even though I tend to get better perks when booking through Rosewood Elite...

I wholeheartedly agree.

The Carlyle is a wonderfully flamboyant grande dame with a distinct and constant buzz.

The Lowell is a serene pied-a-terre. You'll swear the entire hotel staff are there just to serve you.

Vaterland Apr 19, 2024 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 36173813)

Many years ago, I saw Cybill Shepherd perform at the Carlyle. She missed her true calling as she was a masterful cabaret performer. It was truly an extraordinary show in a magical setting.

cornwall4000 Apr 19, 2024 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 36173813)

Alas, never caught him. My parents did, there, many times. He was, by all accounts, the OG master of that room.

There's some newer openings in NYC I've been meaning to check out. 5th ave hotel. Fouquets. That Casa Cipriani has been on my list too.

jman4321 Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm

The Lowell it is! Thank you all so much very helpful. I came across the YouTube Artisien video on The Lowell and it looks fabulous . FYI both the Peninsula and the St. Regis are undergoing some renovations. Considered the Mandarin and Park Hyatt as well.