FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

Tonyr4 Aug 9, 2023 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by cornwall4000 (Post 35484558)
Of course summer is dead in NYC compared to fall or the holidays. I just wouldn't necessarily expect to see base rates at 1/3 to 1/2 of what they were at open. Even during summer. Not coming out of covid, with a brand new Aman opening to much press/fanfare - the kind of hotel NY has never seen! - in an international city.
Can't say how much the SAG/aftra strike effects travel to NYC. It certainly must, but maybe not like L.A.

I see rates over Columbus Day, mid December, etc still well below open rates. I guess I'm just surprised to see....... availability. At this point, anyway, after rates have clearly made a sizable adjustment. It's not 20 keys or anything, but it's also far from a 'large' hotel. Not a single date is sold out. First week in Dec seems to be the only time without a base-rate room available.
Impossible for me to know what the break-even data is, and I'm very much rooting for it to succeed.
Just find it somewhat surprising.

I live in NYC and can tell you that I'd find it very hard to believe a hotel charging 3k per night for a base room will survive at those rates. The only timeframe that they could possibly fill up at those rates is from September through December. In any event, I hope I'm proven wrong....

Michaeljinnyc Oct 26, 2023 8:22 am

How is the Pierre compared to hotels like the St. Regis and the Pen?

Tonyr4 Oct 26, 2023 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc (Post 35695515)
How is the Pierre compared to hotels like the St. Regis and the Pen?

The Pierre and the Carlyle are both a little worn and need freshened up, the St Regis & Peninsula are both much better in my opinion.

Michaeljinnyc Oct 26, 2023 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Tonyr4 (Post 35695645)
The Pierre and the Carlyle are both a little worn and need freshened up, the St Regis & Peninsula are both much better in my opinion.

The Carlyle is definitely not worn out as its just renovated last year by Tony Chi. IMO too comtemporary for its own sake. Prices also skyrocketed after the refurb.

The main draw about the Pierre is its good price, service and location.

Can you elaborate about the St. Regis? As I’m looking to redeem my points for a stay there but I am under the impression of it being run-down and having lousy breakfast

Tonyr4 Oct 26, 2023 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc (Post 35695813)
The Carlyle is definitely not worn out as its just renovated last year by Tony Chi. IMO too comtemporary for its own sake. Prices also skyrocketed after the refurb.

The main draw about the Pierre is its good price, service and location.

Can you elaborate about the St. Regis? As I’m looking to redeem my points for a stay there but I am under the impression of it being run-down and having lousy breakfast

Maybe the rooms look good, the lobby area of the Carlyle is untouched and tired. I was just there for lunch at Dowlings within that hotel a few months ago. The Mark across the street is a much better choice to stay at if you want to be on the Upper East Side.

The price and location of the Pierre is great but again unless the rooms have been recently refurbished it's tired too, although the lobby area is nicer than the Carlyle and the restaurant Avra which is next door is great.

The St Regis is in a prime location, has a beautiful lobby, and the rooms have been refreshed. It is not run down at all. Astor Court is so so which is where you have breakfast and afternoon tea, the King Cole for a night cap is awesome plus you have the Polo Bar right directly across the street for dinner. I would use points and stay there.

Michaeljinnyc Oct 26, 2023 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tonyr4 (Post 35695848)
Maybe the rooms look good, the lobby area of the Carlyle is untouched and tired. I was just there for lunch at Dowlings within that hotel a few months ago. The Mark across the street is a much better choice to stay at if you want to be on the Upper East Side.

The price and location of the Pierre is great but again unless the rooms have been recently refurbished it's tired too, although the lobby area is nicer than the Carlyle and the restaurant Avra which is next door is great.

The St Regis is in a prime location, has a beautiful lobby, and the rooms have been refreshed. It is not run down at all. Astor Court is so so which is where you have breakfast and afternoon tea, the King Cole for a night cap is awesome plus you have the Polo Bar right directly across the street for dinner. I would use points and stay there.

The Mark looks fabulous, but $1,400 a night for a base room...?

KatW Oct 26, 2023 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc (Post 35697245)

Well, these days …

Michaeljinnyc Oct 26, 2023 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 35697260)
Well, these days …

I remember a time when the Four Seasons Downtown was $525 a night.

And that was only six years ago

KatW Oct 26, 2023 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc (Post 35697264)
I remember a time when the Four Seasons Downtown was $525 a night.

And that was only six years ago

Yes, well, in between there was a worldwide pandemic that sent the luxury hospitality business kattywhumpus and, now, we’re here only six years later and I don’t like it either.

Tonyr4 Oct 26, 2023 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc (Post 35697245)

Makes using points at the St Regis or Park Hyatt look pretty good!

Valveking Dec 21, 2023 1:34 pm

We are going to be back in New York in a few weeks and want to try something new. I am looking at the Whitby and the Baccarat. Does anyone have any recent experience at either of these? They both look great, but in wildly different styles.

SP03 Dec 22, 2023 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Valveking (Post 35840622)
We are going to be back in New York in a few weeks and want to try something new. I am looking at the Whitby and the Baccarat. Does anyone have any recent experience at either of these? They both look great, but in wildly different styles.

I love the Baccarat. Been there a few times recently. They don’t have a formal restaurant but the bar is fun and food is actually quite good. Service is excellent with evening turn down.

Valveking Dec 22, 2023 8:45 am

Thank you. That is what we are going to do. Rooms look a little small, but the public spaces look gorgeous.

SP03 Dec 22, 2023 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Valveking (Post 35842385)
Thank you. That is what we are going to do. Rooms look a little small, but the public spaces look gorgeous.

Yes, the rooms are small and most rooms don't have a tub. Also to keep in mind, the rooms are on lower levels so those facing 54th street maybe noisy.

justdmbobbo Jan 24, 2024 1:36 pm

Going to be in NYC the last weekend in Feb. Looks like the MO is doing a usual "stay longer" rate - Buy two nights get the 3rd free type deal. That takes the base room price down to around $725/night (including tax). Can't really beat that right? - Great location, great rooms, etc.
Anyone recommend an alternative for early 2024 with that same lower price point?