FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

robyng Jan 18, 12 2:23 pm

Luxury Hotels In New York

I usually plan a trip for our anniversary and my birthday first half of September. This year - I don't have any "must go" place in mind - so I'm simply exploring big cities with lots of attractions - excellent dining - etc. Am running into booking problems with some (like Toronto has its International Film Festival that week). And - in New York - although the UN General Assembly doesn't start until 9/15 - and I can leave on 9/14 - some hotels (like the MO) are blocking out rooms for UN people a day or two in advance (although perhaps my travel agent can do something about that).

Before I decide to return to the Four Seasons - I wonder what people think of some other hotels in New York? Note that I need a smoking room - and some of the hotels that came up on my list of "smoking allowed" hotels were the St. Regis (have stayed there before - didn't like it) - The Carlyle - The Mark - The Mercer - The Peninsula - The Pierre (haven't stayed there since it was renovated) - and the Lowell. Would prefer to be in mid-town - but am somewhat flexible.

And - if anyone knows - how much of a zoo is it in New York a day or two before the UN circus comes to town? Robyn

P.S. I want to make this a pretty easy trip - so - right now - I am only looking into north America.

akp Jan 18, 12 2:40 pm

We were in NYC during the UN circus in 2011. It wasn't a big deal. Our drive from the airport took a bit longer, and we noticed security vans an personnel around some of the luxury hotels as we walked.

Anita

nba1017 Jan 18, 12 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by robyng (Post 17839013)
I usually plan a trip for our anniversary and my birthday first half of September. This year - I don't have any "must go" place in mind - so I'm simply exploring big cities with lots of attractions - excellent dining - etc. Am running into booking problems with some (like Toronto has its International Film Festival that week). And - in New York - although the UN General Assembly doesn't start until 9/15 - and I can leave on 9/14 - some hotels (like the MO) are blocking out rooms for UN people a day or two in advance (although perhaps my travel agent can do something about that).

Before I decide to return to the Four Seasons - I wonder what people think of some other hotels in New York? Note that I need a smoking room - and some of the hotels that came up on my list of "smoking allowed" hotels were the St. Regis (have stayed there before - didn't like it) - The Carlyle - The Mark - The Mercer - The Peninsula - The Pierre (haven't stayed there since it was renovated) - and the Lowell. Would prefer to be in mid-town - but am somewhat flexible.

And - if anyone knows - how much of a zoo is it in New York a day or two before the UN circus comes to town? Robyn

P.S. I want to make this a pretty easy trip - so - right now - I am only looking into north America.

Since you're really just looking for an easy trip to a good city, i'll throw out Chicago as an alternative. Much cheaper, often better, hotels with most of the comparable culture, food, and activity of New York.

Having said that, the newly renovated Pierre has gotten good reviews and the location is about as central as possible. I've stayed at the Plaza Athenee on 64th before and thought it was lovely. I believe they have smoking rooms as well, and many of the suites have balconies. I also love the Trump, though it might not be to your taste.

gastropub76 Jan 18, 12 3:05 pm

The Mercer in Soho is in a considerably different location than the others you are considering on the upper east side or Midtown. That block of Soho is a shopping mecca for tourists especially on the weekend. I have stayed at the Mercer, and though it has a groovy restaurant downstairs and very friendly staff, the noise insulation between the streetfront shops and the hotel rooms above them was a problem for me. If you want to be in that area of NYC, you should consider the Crosby St instead. The rooms are small but very well designed with huge windows.

Of the uptown ones you mention, I prefer the Mark even though the lobby gives me vertigo. I also have friends that rave about the Surrey which is nearby but I have not stayed there.

Baghoarder Jan 18, 12 3:31 pm

I love The Carlyle and have stayed there frequently. But next time I am in NYC I plan to try the Lowell or the Surrey. Perhaps the Carlyle and the Surrey are too far uptown for you, though?

robyng Jan 18, 12 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by akp (Post 17839151)
We were in NYC during the UN circus in 2011. It wasn't a big deal. Our drive from the airport took a bit longer, and we noticed security vans an personnel around some of the luxury hotels as we walked.

Anita

Yes - sometimes these things are overblown. We were in Berlin at the RC (2006 or so?) when the G5-10-15-20-whatever :D was in town. No problem at all. A heck of a lot better than the traffic on Miami Beach during the Miami Beach boat show!

FWIW - we happened to be in Manhattan on 9/11 (day after our 30th anniversary) - and I reckon I will never see the kind of security in a luxury hotel that I saw then. Robyn

robyng Jan 18, 12 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by nba1017 (Post 17839159)
Since you're really just looking for an easy trip to a good city, i'll throw out Chicago as an alternative. Much cheaper, often better, hotels with most of the comparable culture, food, and activity of New York.

Having said that, the newly renovated Pierre has gotten good reviews and the location is about as central as possible. I've stayed at the Plaza Athenee on 64th before and thought it was lovely. I believe they have smoking rooms as well, and many of the suites have balconies. I also love the Trump, though it might not be to your taste.

Agree with you about Chicago. We've taken multiple trips there - and enjoy the city a whole lot. Could be a possible for this trip.

Will look into the Plaza Athenee and the "new" Pierre. Have stayed at the Trump before - and now it is 100% non-smoking (think all Trump properties - at least in North America - even the one in Las Vegas - are non-smoking now - including the one in Chicago). Our last trip to Chicago - we stayed at the Four Seasons Four Seasons (I'm pretty sure I did a review of that hotel here). Robyn

stimpy Jan 18, 12 5:14 pm

For me, it's the timeless classic St. Regis. If you have Starwood status, it's even better, but even without status a suite at the St. Regis is the classy way to go.

robyng Jan 18, 12 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by gastropub76 (Post 17839355)
The Mercer in Soho is in a considerably different location than the others you are considering on the upper east side or Midtown. That block of Soho is a shopping mecca for tourists especially on the weekend. I have stayed at the Mercer, and though it has a groovy restaurant downstairs and very friendly staff, the noise insulation between the streetfront shops and the hotel rooms above them was a problem for me. If you want to be in that area of NYC, you should consider the Crosby St instead. The rooms are small but very well designed with huge windows.

Of the uptown ones you mention, I prefer the Mark even though the lobby gives me vertigo. I also have friends that rave about the Surrey which is nearby but I have not stayed there.

I think I'd rather be mid-town or so than downtown. If for no other reason than a lot of the downtown hotels are young and trendy - and we aren't. I like to be pampered when I travel (this trip especially since it will celebrate my "graduation" into Medicare ;)). I always appreciate a place with good massages. FWIW - the best I've had in the last couple of years was at the FS Atlanta. My masseuse - well I think she could have played on the defensive line for the Atlanta Falcons (very big - strong hands) :). Robyn

robyng Jan 18, 12 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Baghoarder (Post 17839537)
I love The Carlyle and have stayed there frequently. But next time I am in NYC I plan to try the Lowell or the Surrey. Perhaps the Carlyle and the Surrey are too far uptown for you, though?

I've stayed at the Surrey - before it was renovated. Don't know if it allows smoking post-renovation. But I think it's a wonderful location. Close to the Met - the Whitney - the Frick - Museum of Natural History - the Guggenheim - Madison Avenue shopping - lots of good restaurants - etc. And Cafe Boulud (the hotel restaurant) is very very good (I always take my aunt who lives in NYC there for lunch when we go to Manhattan). If it doesn't allow smoking now (and wouldn't be for me) - I'd recommend non-smokers to look into it now post-renovation. Robyn

robyng Jan 18, 12 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 17840201)
For me, it's the timeless classic St. Regis. If you have Starwood status, it's even better, but even without status a suite at the St. Regis is the classy way to go.

The St. Regis - or the St. Regis at the Essex House? We were in the St. Regis at the Essex House on 9/11. Were not very impressed with the physical property - but were very impressed by the hotel security reaction to that horrible day. They made us feel safe (as least as safe as possible) - and were 100% on top of things (lots of retired military work in security there). On 9/11 - a hotel experience that could have been :td::td: became ^^. Robyn

uclabruin82 Jan 18, 12 6:22 pm

That week isn't too bad as long as you avoid the UN area and Park Avenue (especially around the Waldorf) and allow some extra time to get to the airport.
As far as hotels go, I stayed at the Pierre this past spring in a one-bedroom suite, with no view. The room was nice and very comfortable, and I got a pretty good deal through Amex FHR. I did not use the spa, but the gym was very nice. I would say the front desk was a little off, and since there are often events in the ballroom, the lobby can be busy in the evenings (pro or con, depending). I will say that the restaurant in the hotel was awful, but they are supposedly bringing in a new one, just not sure when.
I have also stayed at the Surrey. It was fine, nothing to write home about. I really like the RC CP, especially the lounge, but have not stayed there since 2006. Also, that time of the year is I think fashion week, so you may want to avoid the MO and Trump, since that is near Lincoln Center where a lot of shows are.

mike_la_jolla Jan 18, 12 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by robyng (Post 17839013)
And - if anyone knows - how much of a zoo is it in New York a day or two before the UN circus comes to town?

I was just at the Plaza (FS was booked) in late Sept'11, and NY was a circus. It was a 2 hour wait for cabs, streets were blocked everywhere. The OWS riffraff had choked everything off. The Plaza couldn't have done a worse job in my case. The employees were so busy that they were long past even apologizing for zero service. The bell staff was much more interested in untangling the gridlocked Rolls Royces in the front to help me with a cab to the airport. I had to cart my 85 lbs of luggage to the FS to get any help.

NY during UN: A total disaster. I wouldn't consider it. And DON'T GO TO THE Plaza when the UN is in session. They can't handle 100% occupancy.

edrags Jan 18, 12 10:21 pm

There is only one St. Regis. Essex House is a Jumeirah property. The two are geographically close by, but that is the only aspect in which they are similar. The St Regis blows the EH out in every other respect, other than the views of Central Park in some of the EH rooms.

Kagehitokiri Jan 18, 12 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by edrags (Post 17841905)
There is only one St. Regis. Essex House is a Jumeirah property.

1931 opens
1932-1946 reconstruction finance corporation
1946-1969 sterling national bank and trust
1969-1985 Marriott Essex House
1985-1999 Essex House Hotel Nikko New York
1999-2006 Essex House, A Westin Hotel (501 rooms)
2000-2006 St Regis Essex House (104 rooms on 19th-39th floors :cool:)
2006-xxxx jumeirah essex house

there are also 184 condos

MSPeconomist Jan 18, 12 11:10 pm

Waldorf Towers (NOT the Waldorf Astoria, the Waldorf Towers is a luxury hotel within a hotel with a completely separate entrance and small lobby, different staff, but connected to the WA lobby by an indoor passage), sort of old fashioned and residential, lots of big suites, I think the address is something like 51st and Park, close to the W on Lex

Royalton at 44 West 44th Street, not true luxury but interesting and stylish boutique hotel, modern design in a traditional building, good for people watching

These two would be good locations for what the OP seems to want, although I don't know about the smoking (but both seem to attract an international rather than American clientele).

nba1017 Jan 18, 12 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 17842151)
Waldorf Towers (NOT the Waldorf Astoria, the Waldorf Towers is a luxury hotel within a hotel with a completely separate entrance and small lobby, different staff, but connected to the WA lobby by an indoor passage), sort of old fashioned and residential, lots of big suites, I think the address is something like 51st and Park, close to the W on Lex

Royalton at 44 West 44th Street, not true luxury but interesting and stylish boutique hotel, modern design in a traditional building, good for people watching

These two would be good locations for what the OP seems to want

I would not recommend either of these hotels given the OP's dates.

The fashion show starts on 13 September, and the Waldorf will be overtaken by UN-related events and guests even before the full session. I'd steer clear of both Bryant Park and the Waldorf area.

Still say Pierre could be a really nice fit.

stimpy Jan 19, 12 1:03 am

Originally Posted by robyng (Post 17840338)
The St. Regis - or the St. Regis at the Essex House? We were in the St. Regis at the Essex House on 9/11.

I'm talking about THE St. Regis. The original 1904 hotel. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregi...rk_81_overview

If you have never tried this hotel, you should at least do a walk-through. To me this is the finest hotel in New York. The history is a tie-breaker with any other of the top hotels.

flo_147 Oct 7, 12 2:38 am

Hey guys!

...I need yr advice regarding a 3 night stay in NYC! Will be staying for some nights in NYC in late Nov and need a decent room - and thats why I was thinking of staying at the newly refurbished "The Mark".

Anyone of you ever stayed at the "Premier Mark 2 BR Suite"? Compared to other hotels in the same league, is it a good choice or are there better option out there!?

cheers,
flo

Kagehitokiri Oct 7, 12 7:23 am

Originally Posted by flo_147 (Post 19451235)
decent room - and thats why I was thinking of staying at the newly refurbished "The Mark" ... Premier Mark 2 BR Suite

new good so far >
mark - UES, newly refurbished
greenwich - new, pool

most consistent >
lowell - UES
trump - newly refurbished, pool, jean georges

all have 2BR with kitchens (mark has gaggenau and greenwich rate is higher)

Yahillwe Oct 7, 12 8:33 am

Originally Posted by flo_147 (Post 19451235)
Hey guys!

...I need yr advice regarding a 3 night stay in NYC! Will be staying for some nights in NYC in late Nov and need a decent room - and thats why I was thinking of staying at the newly refurbished "The Mark".

Anyone of you ever stayed at the "Premier Mark 2 BR Suite"? Compared to other hotels in the same league, is it a good choice or are there better option out there!?

cheers,
flo

I highly recommend the Mark. Have stayed there many times, and actually stayed one month last March in their one bedroom suite. This recommendation comes from someone who always stays at the Four Seasons.

Yahillwe Oct 7, 12 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 19451678)
new good so far >
mark - UES, newly refurbished
greenwich
- new, pool

most consistent >
lowell - UES
trump - newly refurbished, pool, jean georges

all have 2BR with kitchens (mark has gaggenau and greenwich rate is higher)

2 different parts of town, isn't it?

DavidO Oct 7, 12 9:41 am

Here's the review of The Mark that I posted two years ago:

The Mark

This hotel was previously a Virtuoso property but closed for an extensive three-year renovation during which the 1927 building was essentially gutted in order to create larger guest rooms and install modern heating and plumbing systems. Located on the Upper East Side (E. 77th Street at Madison Avenue), the hotel is located in a residential neighborhood across Madison Avenue from the Carlyle. Away from the bustle of midtown, the Mark is convenient to the Metropolitan Museum (3 blocks), the Whitney Museum (2 blocks), and the 77th Street subway station (2 blocks).

The Mark has a contemporary style created by French designer Jacques Grange. The lobby features black and white striped marble floors with very contemporary furnishings and wall decorations, and the feeling extends into a very trendy bar that pulses with energy. If you're looking for an elegant yet lively nightspot, consider the Mark.

But once you leave the lobby, the guest floors are suitably subdued to create a restful environment for a good night's sleep. Guest rooms combine traditional elements (elegant painted crown moldings and door trim) with contemporary furnishings. Bathrooms provide what every five-star hotel should offer: double vanities, deep soaking tub, walk-in shower, and TV in the mirror. (OK, I really don't understand the TV-in-the-mirror thing, but the best new hotels all provide them!)

Lead-in Courtyard rooms are more than 400 square feet. The first level of upgrade is to a Madison room - which overlooks Madison Avenue - but the courtyard is actually very attractive, overlooking the backyards of several townhouses on 78th Street (and, in particular, a beautiful maple tree whose autumn colors were quite striking). The Seventy-Seven Kings are spacious, 500 square foot guest rooms overlooking 77th Street. Junior Suites feature sliding doors that separate the living room (with pull-out queen sofa) from the Queen-bedded master bedroom and have two full bathrooms. There are several varieties of 1 BR and 2 BR Suites, some with full kitchens. The fitness facility is large and very well equipped.

flo_147 Oct 7, 12 1:28 pm

thx guys for yr input! Will decide in the next few days if I will book the Mark Premier 2 BR Suite or a top suite at the Trump or Mandarin Oriental ;)
Will decide that on the rooms views and the size and equipment of the gym!

offerendum Oct 7, 12 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by flo_147 (Post 19453099)
thx guys for yr input! Will decide in the next few days if I will book the Mark Premier 2 BR Suite or a top suite at the Trump or Mandarin Oriental ;)

roblem with Trump: They have tub/shower combos even in the suites.

Larkin Oct 7, 12 11:31 pm

I like FS and the St Regis best. For spa and pool the peninsula is great. Like the previous post said the problem with the Trump on central park west is the bathroom. And I prefer to be on east side, but that is my preference. MO very nice if get great view and suite, but still prfer east side location, but that is personal preference. I also like the Ritz Central Park, but my third choice!

Yahillwe Oct 9, 12 7:47 am

The Mark doesn't rooms that have any views. The FS has suites that have great views.

Never been at either Trump or The MA.

You made me jealous, so am going to go to the Mark for a few days before I leave NY.

Kagehitokiri Oct 9, 12 10:29 am

top suite at the Trump or Mandarin Oriental ;)

why those 2?

trump soho is trump with top suites

at FS, 50th floor is 2 studio suites (look great) and 6 tower rooms

Shangri-La Oct 9, 12 12:40 pm

Anyone tried the Chambers Hotel? A boutique property, but it looks interesting enough.

grumbler Oct 10, 12 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 19451856)
I highly recommend the Mark. Have stayed there many times, and actually stayed one month last March in their one bedroom suite. This recommendation comes from someone who always stays at the Four Seasons.

I've said this elsewhere, but I am pretty much a convert to the Mark, as long as the location makes sense for the purpose of the visit.

It is superb and beats any other NY hotel I have stayed in to date - which includes the usual suspects on this board.

nba1017 Oct 10, 12 10:41 am

Originally Posted by grumbler (Post 19470669)
I've said this elsewhere, but I am pretty much a convert to the Mark, as long as the location makes sense for the purpose of the visit.

It is superb and beats any other NY hotel I have stayed in to date - which includes the usual suspects on this board.

While I have not stayed, I have heard the same thing from friends who typically stay at the St. Regis/FS/top Waldorf suites when visiting. All of them have raved, particularly about the restaurant.

Kagehitokiri Oct 10, 12 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by grumbler (Post 19470669)

luxury was recently positive on both mark and lowell
in that thread >

Originally Posted by grumbler (Post 19114920)
Lowell has some lovely old school touches - lemonade in lobby on hot days, followup correspondence from the manager, very gentle service in the dining room (not the Post House, where I have not eaten).

The Mark is flashier, and because the hotel's public spaces are more in your face than the Lowell, it can be a bit buzzy (which is not necessarily a bad thing). However, the staff are good at picking out the guests, and it is pretty common for the manager to make a beeline over to see how you are doing. Also, lots of nice little unexpected amenities.

On balance (and on service), I take the Mark over the Lowell. I have not stayed at the Greenwich.

Yahillwe Oct 12, 12 8:10 am

Btw, at The Mark, some bathrooms have heated floors. The one that I am at, at the moment doesn't, or maybe I haven't found the switches.

Have never been to the Greenwich, but have been to the restaurant next to it, great place to eat, passed by the hotel's lobby, I didn't think that it would be I the "luxury" style. But haven't been anywhere but the lobby.

A rather nice hotel is the Crosby Hotel.

DrivingRain Oct 19, 12 4:54 pm

Luxury Hotels In New York

NYT reports that St Regis will again lose its restaurant. Adour will close in November.

FS and RC CPS also have lost their restaurants recently.

5StarHotels Oct 20, 12 7:36 am

Luxury Hotels in New York

The Plaza is in my opinion a great hotel in NYC. Plus, they often offer a 3rd night free (currently being offered thru Nov 16) which makes it a great value.

I find a free night special is a terrific value at any hotel b/c on a typical 3 night stay it's equivalent to 33% Off.

Many hotels (including most Four Seasons properties) have routinely offered free nights well before GroupOn (and others of its ilk) became popular.

Plus, when you can get additional perks like free breakfast for two COMBINED with the free night, the value-add is impressive.

Shangri-La Oct 21, 12 10:32 am

Originally Posted by DrivingRain (Post 19528496)
NYT reports that St Regis will again lose its restaurant. Adour will close in November.

FS and RC CPS also have lost their restaurants recently.

The RC CPS is opening a new bistro and bar concept soon.

trojanman Oct 23, 12 1:21 pm

Planning a family visit sometime in January / February 2013 and need help. Last time I was in NYC was 8 years ago and I suspect a lot has changed with the hotel scene.

We're seeking a place located anywhere from about 42nd street north (ie. not downtown). Should have inspired rooms (ie. not your standard Marriott), should be family friendly (as we will have 2 year old with us), and should epitomize the very best that New York has to offer.

Because we are visiting during a cold/snowy period, special touches like fireplaces in the rooms, heated bathroom floors, hot chocolate in the lobby, etc... would be appreciated but not required.

I have Ritz Carlton (Marriott) Platinum, SPG Gold, and my wife qualifies for ABA discount rates.

I know some of the favorites discussed here and on other luxury travel sites (ie. Andrew Harper, Kiwi Collection) seem to include Lowell, Mark, Four Seasons, St. Regis, RC Central Park, etc... but none of those options seem to offer "special" looking rooms until you get well into the $2000+ per night suite categories. Please convince me otherwise if you disagree.

Which of these properties offers the best luxury value proposition for under $800 per night?

Is Chatwal any good since SPG took over?

Sorry for the long-winded question(s)!

Kagehitokiri Oct 23, 12 1:49 pm

greenwich is brand new
mark was just redone, and has gaggenau kitchens for not much over base rate
trump was just redone, but as recently noted no separate showers

Originally Posted by Yahillwe (Post 19483043)
at The Mark, some bathrooms have heated floors

maybe mark studios / tower suites? (planned as condohotel, with aforementioned kitchen)

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 16475572)
there is 1 of each of the 3 mark studio categories and 5 mark tower suite categories on floors 9-12 (8 x 4 = 32)

http://www.themarkhotel.com/own/nav/...floorplans.php
http://web.archive.org/web/201106052...floorplans.php

vincentb89 Oct 23, 12 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by trojanman (Post 19550983)
Planning a family visit sometime in January / February 2013 and need help. Last time I was in NYC was 8 years ago and I suspect a lot has changed with the hotel scene.

We're seeking a place located anywhere from about 42nd street north (ie. not downtown). Should have inspired rooms (ie. not your standard Marriott), should be family friendly (as we will have 2 year old with us), and should epitomize the very best that New York has to offer.

Because we are visiting during a cold/snowy period, special touches like fireplaces in the rooms, heated bathroom floors, hot chocolate in the lobby, etc... would be appreciated but not required.

I have Ritz Carlton (Marriott) Platinum, SPG Gold, and my wife qualifies for ABA discount rates.

I know some of the favorites discussed here and on other luxury travel sites (ie. Andrew Harper, Kiwi Collection) seem to include Lowell, Mark, Four Seasons, St. Regis, RC Central Park, etc... but none of those options seem to offer "special" looking rooms until you get well into the $2000+ per night suite categories. Please convince me otherwise if you disagree.

Which of these properties offers the best luxury value proposition for under $800 per night?

Lowell has rooms with fireplace (lowell king, only 1 with fireplace in the specific room category so you would have to specify that to reservations).
Hardware is really good, service is attentive but you don't have a lot of things to do in-house (small lobby) and the crowd is traditional borderline "too old" for me

nba1017 Oct 23, 12 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by trojanman (Post 19550983)

St. Regis rooms are very old-world but I love them. Perfect soundproofing, nice layouts akin to a junior suite in most hotels, and the best shower pressure of any NYC hotel (Grand Luxe rooms have separate shower/tub and dual vanities). The KC Bar is at its best in the winter and at the time you're visiting will be filled with a good number of locals.

While most of these hotels will have promotional offers in the dead of winter, I've found the St Regis rates to be overall a bit lower than the Ritz/FS/MO.

The house car is another nice touch, though I can't comment on whether the FS or Ritz still offer one.

Also, you may want to look into the Plaza Athenee.