FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

sophialite Apr 14, 2019 12:07 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 30997494)
Appreciate your taste...

Too bad to hear about Firmdale...I've enjoyed my (much more limited) exposure to them in London.

Do look into the Greenwich Hotel another time. Great location in Tribeca (close to the Hudson).

I've also very much enjoyed the Roxy (former Tribeca Grand), but wouldn't put it in the same class of hotel.

Yup, stayed at the Hamyard (and the Denman residences) many times, as well as the Covent Garden. I think the hard product is among the best out there. But the service lapses are too much. Might fly in the US, but not in places like London, Paris, etc.

sophialite Apr 14, 2019 12:08 am

Originally Posted by ABG (Post 30997649)
Just remember, if you aren't a hotel guest you can't really "check-it out" as there are no public areas at this hotel

My assistant contacted them yesterday and arranged for a viewing of one of the rooms. I think I'll be ok. Thanks for the heads up, though.

brandie Apr 14, 2019 8:06 am

My assistant contacted them yesterday and arranged for a viewing of one of the rooms. I think I'll be ok. Thanks for the heads up, though.

I'm impressed they will allow for a viewing. I was irritated at the New York Standard when they would not allow me to view one of the rooms.
I was staying at the High Line Hotel at the time. I would not put the Standard or the High Line the class you are looking for. I needed
to stay in the Meatpacking/Chelsea District and there were not a lot of options. My choices came down to Standard or High Line but I chose
High LIne due to larger room size. High LIne is quirky but close to a lot of restaurants and Chelsea Market and also close to the High LIne trail
but it was a long walk to subways. Again, I would not call either a high end luxury hotel which is what this thread is about but for Chelsea/Meatpacking area the Standard and High Line are at the high end for the district.

I'll be interested in your feedback on the Greenwich after your viewing as I'm considering it for my next stay.

Joshsen Jul 25, 2019 6:53 pm

Any news on the equinox hotel?
ps how is Aman going?

grumbler Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm

I don't know but I am still rolling my eyes at the exchange that preceded it.

sophialite Jul 31, 2019 7:13 am

Not sure if grumbler's eyes rolled out of his head. Anyways...
Tried the CSH one more time just for pete's sake a few weeks ago. Still too many service lapses. My partner still continued to wonder why I spend $1k per night for this property. My assistant the same. All the people I hosted at the hotel the same. And I think it's high time I moved it over.

I booked the Greenwich Hotel in a corner suite for December. Will see how it goes. Tribeca is a bit of an older crowd than SoHo, but still not nearly as bad as midtown.

I suppose if the GH doesn't work out, then I'll try the Baccarat.

And if the Baccarat doesn't work, hopefully the Aman will be open by my next visit :D

Aventine Jul 31, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 31362641)
Not sure if grumbler's eyes rolled out of his head. Anyways...
Tried the CSH one more time just for pete's sake a few weeks ago. Still too many service lapses. My partner still continued to wonder why I spend $1k per night for this property. My assistant the same. All the people I hosted at the hotel the same. And I think it's high time I moved it over.

I booked the Greenwich Hotel in a corner suite for December. Will see how it goes. Tribeca is a bit of an older crowd than SoHo, but still not nearly as bad as midtown.

I suppose if the GH doesn't work out, then I'll try the Baccarat.

And if the Baccarat doesn't work, hopefully the Aman will be open by my next visit :D

Four Seasons Downtown has always been good to me. I'd highly recommend it.

sophialite Jul 31, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 31362835)
Four Seasons Downtown has always been good to me. I'd highly recommend it.

I was thinking about this. I might do it but I try to stay at hotels that don't feel like "hotels," if that makes sense. From the pictures of the rooms, Four Seasons seemed really ordinary. That's why I liked the CSH so much. The rooms there were so much more "home like."

Revolution Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm

Rooms at Four Seasons Downtown New York are ordinary. Designed by Yabu Pushelberg -- says it all, really!

sophialite Jul 31, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Revolution (Post 31364428)
Rooms at Four Seasons Downtown New York are ordinary. Designed by Yabu Pushelberg -- says it all, really!

I don't know who that is.

RichardInSF Jul 31, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 31364449)

I don't know who that is.

They're a currently trendy interior design firm. They also did the Park Hyatt NYC further west on 57th.

sophialite Jul 31, 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 31364471)
They're a currently trendy interior design firm. They also did the Park Hyatt NYC further east on 57th.

Gross.

Don't get me wrong I love the Four Seasons. I don't have loyalty to any one chain but if I stay at one chain the most it's the Four Seasons. But some properties are better than the other.

PHs have mostly been a clunker for me, even in Tokyo. Only really good one was Seoul but I haven't stayed there since 2015 so a lot can change.

Revolution Jul 31, 2019 2:49 pm

Yabu Pushelberg should only be designing offices and doctor's waiting rooms instead of high-end hotels -- totally soulless.

MikeFromTokyo Jul 31, 2019 3:21 pm

They’ve done great work, I always loved Four Seasons Marunouchi. However, I am not a fan of all of their projects, PH Bangkok being one such exception.

SojournsOf Jul 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Shame reading about CSH - I love this property, but haven't been to NYC now for a couple of years...