FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

Valveking Jun 20, 2016 1:53 am

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI (Post 26802822)
Looking for some advice ahead of a getaway long weekend in NYC. I'm Starwood Gold, but want to burn 225k Chase points to cover the 4-night stay on Manhattan--even if this is not the ideal redemption, I have no other use for those points.

We prefer modern to classic and quiet to city buzz. Liked theWit Hotel in Chicago, if that helps. OTOH, St Regis would not be our thing.

TIA!

What about using those Chase points at the Park Hyatt?

pricesquire Jun 20, 2016 10:49 am

Use those points for AIR!!

EkekoBWI Jun 20, 2016 11:39 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 26804929)
Use those points for AIR!!

I normally would--and that was the original plan--but I'm air miles rich (c/o 100k AA Exec CCs + MS) and hotel points poor, having just depleted my Hilton points and Starwood points.

view Jun 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Any experience from The Knickerbocker? Besides a Times Square location (not a good thing) its Virtuoso benefits seem pretty good considering the rates are among the lowest of any NYC Virtuoso property. Or perhaps that is telling for the quality?

surftb15 Jun 20, 2016 1:52 pm

I actually liked the Knickerbocker. I cant justify $500 night in NYC (used to live there) so Knickerbocker has been a good choice for me. The only thing is the rooms are smaller then any other hotel, but its NYC, so you shouldnt spend too much time in the room anyway.

Location is all a matter of opinion, but the hotel is close to subway to get you anywhere.

Also the concierge team has been pretty good.

scented Jun 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Speaking of NYC, what is the consensus on Baccarat here? Successful entry into NYC?

pricesquire Jun 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by scented (Post 26806462)
Speaking of NYC, what is the consensus on Baccarat here? Successful entry into NYC?

I'd say so. I've had nothing but glowing feedback from every client I've put there.

Not sure if it's pertinent, but it's worth noting that every single client I've sent there has been 'on request', meaning: clients come to me knowing that's where they want to stay. Not sure if it's name recognition or just the fact it's new/getting press, but I find that interesting.

As far as the Knickerbocker is concerned, it's a good fit for the right clientele/right inquiry.

FlyerEC Jun 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 26803086)
Did SEA ( SeaTac ) to JFK a couple weeks ago .
Try stay at The Mark :-:
Loved it , the room / suites renovations are refreshing .. Plus .. ;)
Didn't have time to check out the penthouse suite :cool: :cool:. You should if unoccupied , since staying may not be practical

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI (Post 26802822)
Looking for some advice ahead of a getaway long weekend in NYC. I'm Starwood Gold, but want to burn 225k Chase points to cover the 4-night stay on Manhattan--even if this is not the ideal redemption, I have no other use for those points.

We prefer modern to classic and quiet to city buzz. Liked theWit Hotel in Chicago, if that helps. OTOH, St Regis would not be our thing.

TIA!

Which part of Manhattan ? UES is " quiet " , elegant with lovely surrounds & restaurants .
Modern ? Only like W ?

The Mark itself just a stroll from Central Park & has own Jean Georges

HKTraveler Jun 21, 2016 1:31 am

May not qualify as luxurious but recently spent several nights at Hyatt Union Square. Rooms on the top floor, think they are called sky room, are great with floor to ceiling windows, a modern room and unbeatable location. Three subway lines are right next door, e.g. 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R. Tons of good restaurants within 15 mins walking distance from Eataly, Shake Shack, Eleven Madison Park to Momofuku Ko. Also two large book stores, e.g. Strand and Barnes & Noble, are close by. Whole Foods is next door as well.

5khours Sep 13, 2016 7:41 am

Stayed again at the Wythe in Williamsburg. I like this place better every time I stay. Service was outstanding. They've eliminated tipping at their restaurant. Really interesting mini-bar selection. And... as I've said, the view of Manhattan from the balconies on the top floor lofts has to be one best cityscapes anywhere.

LM225 Sep 13, 2016 8:29 am

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 27205323)
Stayed again at the Wythe in Williamsburg. I like this place better every time I stay. Service was outstanding. They've eliminated tipping at their restaurant. Really interesting mini-bar selection. And... as I've said, the view of Manhattan from the balconies on the top floor lofts has to be one best cityscapes anywhere.

Interesting, thanks for sharing this. Have you stayed in any of the other (non-loft) room types? Looks like the highest room type available for some dates I'm thinking about is the Manhattan View King Room.

Kagehitokiri Sep 13, 2016 9:18 am

you contacted hotel? they no longer book 4 lofts online
pages for lofts say "Please call 718-460-8000 to book."
seems like south lofts have longer windows on one side

unfortunate that corner rooms are only on floors 2-5

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 27224371)
I've stayed in some of the other rooms also, and they all seemed nice. You should probably try for a room high enough to have a view of Manhattan.

sounds like asking for highest view available near/at checkin

Annalisa12 Sep 17, 2016 5:43 am

Is the NYC Plaza really worth it?

5khours Sep 17, 2016 6:16 am

Originally Posted by LM225 (Post 27205577)
Interesting, thanks for sharing this. Have you stayed in any of the other (non-loft) room types? Looks like the highest room type available for some dates I'm thinking about is the Manhattan View King Room.

I've stayed in some of the other rooms also, and they all seemed nice. You should probably try for a room high enough to have a view of Manhattan.

scubadu Sep 17, 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 27224289)
Is the NYC Plaza really worth it?

I guess you have to define what "worth" means to you. Certainly, The Plaza has a historic past and many (particularly tourists) equate it with the quintessential NYC experience.

As someone who enjoys visiting NYC (sometimes 1 or 2x per year), The Plaza likely would not even make a top 20 list of places that I would choose to stay.

Part of the reason is it's just too stuffy/old world/gold stuff every where for my tastes. Of course, other people eat that stuff up.

You have to define what experience you are looking for and then what you are willing to pay for it.

Regards