FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Luxury Hotels In New York (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1303996-luxury-hotels-new-york.html)

Baghoarder Dec 8, 14 2:38 pm

Hmm, I've booked the Pen for a family visit in July! We chose it for proximity to Central Park and the pool, which looked slightly better for children than the MO pool (I know, the MO fits all my requirements as well, except I have a slight preference for east side over west...). Wondering if I should reconsider and switch to the MO.

vuittonsofstyle Dec 9, 14 8:51 am


Originally Posted by Baghoarder (Post 23963057)
Hmm, I've booked the Pen for a family visit in July! We chose it for proximity to Central Park and the pool, which looked slightly better for children than the MO pool (I know, the MO fits all my requirements as well, except I have a slight preference for east side over west...). Wondering if I should reconsider and switch to the MO.

I would

offerendum Dec 9, 14 8:53 am


Originally Posted by Baghoarder (Post 23963057)
Hmm, I've booked the Pen for a family visit in July! We chose it for proximity to Central Park and the pool, which looked slightly better for children than the MO pool (I know, the MO fits all my requirements as well, except I have a slight preference for east side over west...). Wondering if I should reconsider and switch to the MO.

I book the MO when Im in NYC;)

wripro Dec 9, 14 11:46 am

Don't think twice. Switch to MO.

FlyerEC Dec 9, 14 12:38 pm


Originally Posted by Baghoarder (Post 23963057)
Hmm, I've booked the Pen for a family visit in July! We chose it for proximity to Central Park and the pool, which looked slightly better for children than the MO pool (I know, the MO fits all my requirements as well, except I have a slight preference for east side over west...). Wondering if I should reconsider and switch to the MO.

Switch to MO for sure as the others have suggested . Close enough to CP & you can have views of it too ;) .
I prefer UES too but The Mark has no pool .

MikeFromTokyo Dec 9, 14 3:28 pm

What category of rooms or suite have you booked at the Peninsula? I like their Deluxe suites a lot, and Junior suites are nice as well. Generally though, I agree with the posters who have recommended MO.

quitecontrary Dec 9, 14 6:38 pm


Originally Posted by Baghoarder (Post 17839537)
I love The Carlyle and have stayed there frequently.

The future King and Queen of England are currently staying at the Carlyle - lots of free advertising from the brollies they carried with the hotel name on them!

Baghoarder Dec 9, 14 7:39 pm


Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 23969447)
What category of rooms or suite have you booked at the Peninsula? I like their Deluxe suites a lot, and Junior suites are nice as well. Generally though, I agree with the posters who have recommended MO.

I think I have connecting Grand Luxe Rooms. I tend to choose between connecting rooms and a two or three bedroom suite when we travel depending on what the hotel offers, but I can't remember why I chose that configuration on this occasion!

The Carlyle is out for this visit - I learned the hard way last time I was in NYC that it is essential to stay somewhere with a pool if visiting with children in July!

vuittonsofstyle Dec 11, 14 9:19 am


Originally Posted by quitecontrary (Post 23970634)
The future King and Queen of England are currently staying at the Carlyle - lots of free advertising from the brollies they carried with the hotel name on them!

Well, Diana always stayed there - it's a family tradition with the Royals.

MikeFromTokyo Dec 11, 14 9:47 am


Originally Posted by Baghoarder (Post 23970912)
I think I have connecting Grand Luxe Rooms. I tend to choose between connecting rooms and a two or three bedroom suite when we travel depending on what the hotel offers, but I can't remember why I chose that configuration on this occasion!

You probably have a reasonable chance of being upgraded at the Peninsula, at least to a Junior suite and connecting room. Paid upsell at check in is also possible.

Have you enquired as to what MO could offer you in terms of connecting rooms and suites at a comparable cost to the Peninsula?

Baghoarder Dec 11, 14 6:12 pm


Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 23979615)
You probably have a reasonable chance of being upgraded at the Peninsula, at least to a Junior suite and connecting room. Paid upsell at check in is also possible.

Have you enquired as to what MO could offer you in terms of connecting rooms and suites at a comparable cost to the Peninsula?

Yes, I priced a range of options/combinations at both hotels. The main decider in the end was the pool rather than the price. The MO pool looks gorgeous but seemed like more of a lap pool from photographs, where children might not be welcomed by other guests.

MikeFromTokyo Dec 11, 14 6:35 pm


Originally Posted by Baghoarder (Post 23982500)
Yes, I priced a range of options/combinations at both hotels. The main decider in the end was the pool rather than the price. The MO pool looks gorgeous but seemed like more of a lap pool from photographs, where children might not be welcomed by other guests.

I think you and your family will be happy at the Peninsula. It doesn't get a lot of rave reviews on this forum, but I actually quite like the hotel.

CGRA Dec 15, 14 5:19 pm

Does the service better at the pen or Mandarin?
I found than FS service wise is better than Mandarin

hairpeace Dec 18, 14 6:53 pm

Soft product better at Pen; hard product better at MO.

Take your pick.

CGRA Dec 19, 14 6:50 am


Originally Posted by hairpeace (Post 24020706)
Soft product better at Pen; hard product better at MO.

Take your pick.

thank you

Don't know the Pen

Hard product better at MO :
Is it for the SPA ?, romm ? found the room at MO small


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:34 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.