Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

SEN renewal for €2000? Anyone else get this? [merged discussion of annual offer]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEN renewal for €2000? Anyone else get this? [merged discussion of annual offer]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
won't make SEN this year...will fly more again next year and was wondering if they offer the paid extension this year. Any idea who to contact?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by vielflieger
won't make SEN this year...will fly more again next year and was wondering if they offer the paid extension this year. Any idea who to contact?
They usually contact you, check your mail.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:03 am

Miles and More Senator vs Frequent Flyer

Got a mail from Dr. Frank Maier from Swiss Miles and More telling me that unfortunately they were not able to renew my Senator (Gold) status as I was slightly short of the required mileage. But for the low low price of 2,000 euros I could extend the status for one year. 2,000 euros..you heard it right!

Now I actually like having the Senator status for some reason, but Swiss does not seem to value my business. Let's take a look at the facts:

Firstly, I take a lot of short but very expensive flights within Europe. These are money makers for Swiss. My company pays in excess of 1200 US dollars for a 1 ½ hour flight to the UK in the back of the plane! I had more than 50 segments last year (down year due to the economy and my company backing away form business class tickets). However segments don't count and the mileage accrued is miserable ..in some cases as low as 125 miles each way.

Secondly, when attempting to use FF miles the Senator help line is useless. Round trip business class ZRH to LAS 90,000 miles and 600 US dollars. Even better is after booking the flight they called me and told me the minimum connection time in FRA was not met. Therefore I could fly the night before and pay for my own hotel, or I could fly at my own risk meaning if I missed the connection I would get no rebooking or compensation. Where is the love? J

When comparing the frequent flyer status (silver) to the Senator status (gold) -- unless I am missing something I don't see 2,000 euros worth of difference. My primary airport in the UK does not even have a Senator lounge.

Frequent Traveller status

The frequent traveller card is given to all Miles & More customers that received a total of over 35,000 status miles in one calendar year. This status remains valid for two years and a member can re-qualify in any one of those two years. Usually, all status cards expire in February of the third year, e.g. status earned in December 2006, status valid until February 2009.
As a frequent traveller a passenger receives a number of privileges:
Access to Business Lounges of fully integrated M&M airlines with valid Star Alliance Boarding Pass for the same day and location before departure
Access to LH Frequent Traveller Lounge with valid Star Alliance Boarding Pass for the same day and location before departure
Business Class Check-In at fully integrated M&M airlines regardless of the flown class of service
25% Executive Bonus on award, status and HON Circle miles on all flights with Lufthansa, Swiss, United Airlines, US Airways, Austrian Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Air One, Air Dolomiti and Air Canada
Miles retain unlimited validity
Increased registered baggage allowance: 40 kg on fully integrated M&M airlines (when weight concept applies)
All Star Alliance Silver Benefits
Exclusive FTL reservation hotline

Senator status
When having collected 100.000 Status Miles (130.000 Miles for residents of Germany) within one calendar year, Miles & More members will receive "Senator" Status with a validity of at least 2 years. . The main benefits of Senator status are:
All advantages of Frequent Traveller status, in addition:
Access to all LH Senator Lounges, regardless of airline flown
Two eVouchers on achieving status and two more for every status retention, good to upgrade either two short-haul or one long-haul flight
Booking guarantee: Up to 48 hours before departure in booking class C, or up to 72 hours in booking class Y
Miles & More companion award: When booking an award ticket with Lufthansa or integrated carriers, the ticket for an accompanying second person only costs 50% of the mileage
Availability of an exclusive telephone service hotline
Availability of Mileage advance: The mileage account can be overdrawn by up to 50,000 Miles. This overdraft needs to be "repaid" until the status expires or each mile will be charged 0.024 EUR.
Senator Premium award: By using double the number of award miles Senators are able to book the very last available seat when it is no longer possible to redeem a regular Miles & More award.
All Star Alliance Gold Benefits

Finally, FF programs are designed to create loyalty to a particular airline or alliance. With the prohibitive costs associated with purchasing a FF ticket and increasingly difficult requirements to obtain status I think some airlines are missing the point. I might add I recently read an interesting article in the Wall Street journal that said often times the most expensive ticket on a particular flight (read the most profitable for the airline) is the FF ticket.

Anyways, any thoughts on the differences between the programs, the 2,000 euros and if I should just move on to another airline/system?

Cheers!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:15 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
There are a lot of discussions if you "need" the SEN-Status.
You have to decide if it is worth 2000 Euros out of your own pocket.

If you missed it by only a few miles you could have done a short trip with the LX Euro Business Saver fares for about 300 to 400 Euro to top up the missing miles, but that oportunity is gone.

You have now 3 choices:

1. Pay for the SEN

2. Go for FTL and requalify later this year. If you miss it by a few miles, just do a quick milage run (e.g. Nice weekend trip) at the end of the year.

3. Go for FTL and change to an other airline/Loyality program

The benefits for me as a SEN are:
- Much more lounges (I can use *A Lounges and not only the LH Lounges)
- Companion Award (that saves a lot of miles), but if you opt for (2.) it should not be a problem.
- Booking guarantee, depends if you have to use it.
- *G Status, goodies on other airlines.

If you opt for (3.) you may change to a different airline or a different Frequent flyer sytem. BMI-Diamond club comes to my mind.

For Awards: Yes Taxes can be quite high, but this is the similar in most european frequent flyer programs
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
For Awards: Yes Taxes can be quite high, but this is the similar in most european frequent flyer programs
You can use 10.000 miles to pay for all the taxes of a bonus trip. Actually this is the best value to use miles within Europe, if you have transfers (ie double taxes or more), I think.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You can use 10.000 miles to pay for all the taxes of a bonus trip. Actually this is the best value to use miles within Europe, if you have transfers (ie double taxes or more), I think.
This feature got enhanced: it's 12k miles now!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
The benefits for me as a SEN are:
- Much more lounges (I can use *A Lounges and not only the LH Lounges)
- Companion Award (that saves a lot of miles), but if you opt for (2.) it should not be a problem.
- Booking guarantee, depends if you have to use it.
- *G Status, goodies on other airlines.
Yep, but for me it's also:
- soft seat blocking in Y and longhaul C
- a guaranteed exit row seat
- better lounges (SEN lounges have food, premium magazines on demand etc.)
- F check-in and security (and sometimes immigration)
- luggage privileges
- eVouchers
- X-Mas present in the USA (basically 48k additional free award miles each year)
- free LH credit cards in the US and in Germany
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: LH SEN+, UA 1k, AA Plat, Solitaire PPS, BA Silver, :rolleyes:, :eek:
Originally Posted by flysurfer

Nothing is guaranteed in life, especially not in LH life.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: too many...
Yep, but for me it's also:
- soft seat blocking in Y and longhaul C
- better lounges (SEN lounges have food, premium magazines on demand etc.)
You fly Y and C? You know SEN lounges from inside? I am shoked!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNBHEL
You fly Y and C? You know SEN lounges from inside? I am shoked!
Sure!
Just recently, I was in the SEN café. And then in exit row. In Y.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Triple3
Nothing is guaranteed in life, especially not in LH life.
At least the exit row thing has worked for me all the time so far.
I'm not yet jaded enough to complain about the stuff that actually works for me.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by vegas005
Got a mail from Dr. Frank Maier from Swiss Miles and More telling me that unfortunately they were not able to renew my Senator (Gold) status as I was slightly short of the required mileage. But for the low low price of 2,000 euros I could extend the status for one year. 2,000 euros..you heard it right!
And you only get one e-voucher! Yes, we heard it. It's not a unique offer for you.

Firstly, I take a lot of short but very expensive flights within Europe. These are money makers for Swiss. My company pays in excess of 1200 US dollars for a 1 ½ hour flight to the UK in the back of the plane! I had more than 50 segments last year (down year due to the economy and my company backing away form business class tickets). However segments don't count and the mileage accrued is miserable ..in some cases as low as 125 miles each way.
What fare cost excess of 1200 USD and accrues only 125 miles?

Secondly, when attempting to use FF miles the Senator help line is useless. Round trip business class ZRH to LAS 90,000 miles and 600 US dollars. Even better is after booking the flight they called me and told me the minimum connection time in FRA was not met. Therefore I could fly the night before and pay for my own hotel, or I could fly at my own risk meaning if I missed the connection I would get no rebooking or compensation. Where is the love? J
Did you expect they'll change the schedule just for you?
Any why do you want to fly through FRA? ZRH-LAX-LAS would like a decent alternative.
600 USD seems awful high though - usually the TATL awards cost about 300 Euro with one stop.

When comparing the frequent flyer status (silver) to the Senator status (gold) -- unless I am missing something I don't see 2,000 euros worth of difference. My primary airport in the UK does not even have a Senator lounge.
Does it have a star gold accessible lounge?

Finally, FF programs are designed to create loyalty to a particular airline or alliance. With the prohibitive costs associated with purchasing a FF ticket and increasingly difficult requirements to obtain status I think some airlines are missing the point.
What exactly do you mean by increasingly difficult requirements? What requirements did increase last year?

Anyways, any thoughts on the differences between the programs, the 2,000 euros and if I should just move on to another airline/system?
If you don't see the advantages for yourself, then it's time to move.
Obvioly though, for someone with some time to spare, 2000 Euro isn't a good deal - seven Swiss Business Class special tickets can get you 10000 miles for 300 euro/each and extend the status for full two years and of course, get you the miles for tickets.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:14 am

Programs: too many...
Sure!
Just recently, I was in the SEN café. And then in exit row. In Y.
I always thought of you as a very brave and courageous man, indeed! I am much to afraid to follow your ventures here and cowardly hide elsewhere.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
Originally Posted by Lack
...seven Swiss Business Class special tickets can get you 100000 miles for 300 euro/each and extend the status for full two years and of course, get you the miles for tickets.
Willing to learn which 7 LX routings for 300,-- € each earn 100k miles total.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNBHEL
I always thought of you as a very brave and courageous man, indeed! I am much to afraid to follow your ventures here and cowardly hide elsewhere.
Admittedly, exit row with seat blocking (row blocking in my case) is more comfortable than a seat in shorthaul C.

Especially when you are operating a 17 inch MPB with an attached UMTS before takeoff and during the flight (then w/o the UMTS).

Last edited by flysurfer; Jan 19, 2009 at 7:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.