Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

SEN renewal for €2000? Anyone else get this? [merged discussion of annual offer]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEN renewal for €2000? Anyone else get this? [merged discussion of annual offer]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2009, 1:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Adding a price tag to something makes it more valueable to all those who already have it - status is not supposed to be on sale and I don't think that LH is expecting to generate much money from it.

Smart people qualify for 4.000 EUR in March, get two vouchers, three years of SEN-hood and 100.000 miles to spend on awards...
Old Nov 26, 2009, 1:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, MR Platinum, BW Gold, HH Silver
What LH will do if somebody buy this extend option and then requalify same year ? 3 e-vouchers ? EUR2k back ? or 3 years of SEN status validity ?

BR
Tomek
Old Nov 26, 2009, 2:03 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
And again…

It is really funny to see that this topic pops up every year… Actually I don't understand the excitement at all as it is a simple cost-benefit calculation on both sides - customer and LH.

If I recall the discussion of the last years correctly there are at least two reasons to make use of this offer:
1/ If you fly a lot within Europe on cheapo E,L,T tickets the 2k EUR for SEN may well be worth it for priority check-in, lounge access, seat blocking and exit row.
2/ If you have tons of miles in your account and regularly burn miles with companion awards you can safe a lot of miles if you are SEN.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 2:07 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Maybe there are cooperations out there which are willing to pay that money as a goody for some of their employees?
It is less a goodie, but keeps the booking guarantee on short notice for the employee(s) and this is a value for the organisation.

Not very likely these days, but we had those times with all classes fully booked flights not so long ago.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 3:23 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sentom
you get one evoucher...
Thanks! Didn't know this. So then its a real bargain.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 3:34 am

>>>there are people out there for whom it is worthwhile - IMHO a decision everybody has to make for oneself

I'd have done it, if I'd still get to access the lounges without a Star Alliance ticket. I fly about 100 times per year, nowhere near any status, cheapo Eco-tickets, mostly non-Star carriers.

In fact, for someone who really doesn't want to fly any more than he absolutely has to, paying money to save personal quality time is perfect.

>>>Smart people qualify for 4.000 EUR in March, get two vouchers, three years of SEN-hood and 100.000 miles to spend on awards...

Firstly, for SOME people, the threshold is 130.000 miles, and secondly, I'd like to see this calculation, money- and timewise. (Honestly, because I spent 2.300 EUR and, worse, three weekends plus four days of holiday for my FTL. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.)
Old Nov 26, 2009, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Airsicknessbag
>>>there are people out there for whom it is worthwhile - IMHO a decision everybody has to make for oneself

I'd have done it, if I'd still get to access the lounges without a Star Alliance ticket. I fly about 100 times per year, nowhere near any status, cheapo Eco-tickets, mostly non-Star carriers.

In fact, for someone who really doesn't want to fly any more than he absolutely has to, paying money to save personal quality time is perfect.

>>>Smart people qualify for 4.000 EUR in March, get two vouchers, three years of SEN-hood and 100.000 miles to spend on awards...

Firstly, for SOME people, the threshold is 130.000 miles, and secondly, I'd like to see this calculation, money- and timewise. (Honestly, because I spent 2.300 EUR and, worse, three weekends plus four days of holiday for my FTL. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.)
SMKs €4000 example is actually quite reasonable to achieve SENhood without too much hassle. Just think of MS F fares for example (plus many others). If you spent €2300 and just achieved FTL, then you are doing something wrong!
Old Nov 26, 2009, 4:18 am

>>>If you spent €2300 and just achieved FTL, then you are doing something wrong!

Ok, I should have worded a bit less polemically: I spent 2.300 EUR and made FTL in the process.

>>>Just think of MS F fares for example (plus many others).

I guess you mean C, because F is much more expensive than C but yields only 36% more miles (due to FRA-CAI being in C only).

In any case, yes I did think of this: You need five return trips in C FRA-KUL for 1.270 EUR each.

While this is certainly a great price, it is still too pricey (IMHO) to "just go for it". Plus it involves five weekends away from home and five half days of holiday.

Also, 135 hours on board MS is not exactly my idea of fun. And the same amount of time would be needed to fight for the miles
Old Nov 26, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
THREE years SENhood?

Originally Posted by SMK77
How could I get THREE years of Senhood instead of the normal two years?!?!?
Old Nov 26, 2009, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by deer
How could I get THREE years of Senhood instead of the normal two years?!?!?
You get SEN status for the remaining of your qualification year, so three total.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
The suckers just sent me the very same spam .

Because it is unlikely that I will reach the SEN target this year!!! Obviously they know much more than I do ... will SQ leave the *A, will LX go bankrupt?

Something must happen to render it unlikely ....
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Originally Posted by weero

Because it is unlikely that I will reach the SEN target this year!!! Obviously they know much more than I do ... will SQ leave the *A, will LX go bankrupt?

No, but do YOU know that your miles will be posted accordingly?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I will out myself then. I'm a SEN cash extender.

Yes, it's not cheap and not such as bargain (of course I liked it better when it cost €1500 and gave me 2 eVouchers) but it is true SEN status without any unnecessary flying. My necessary flying would not earn me SEN, but all of my flying is enhanced for all the reasons already mentioned by Totti. I've been op-up'd a number of times this past year (previous years were admittedly less). It provides extra baggage allowance on UA (which added 2nd-bag fees to non-elites). And the LH 20% award voucher each year. And seat-blocking when it works.

To those who say "but you get no miles", I manage to do nicely with $1 Presidential Coin purchases and a number of other promos (t-mobile, et al.) throughout this year and previous years.

The question now: where's my e-mail to extend for next year? They haven't written to me yet even though I'm a sure bet. Persona non-grata?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Grog
I will out myself then. I'm a SEN cash extender.

Yes, it's not cheap and not such as bargain (of course I liked it better when it cost €1500 and gave me 2 eVouchers) but it is true SEN status without any unnecessary flying. My necessary flying would not earn me SEN, but all of my flying is enhanced for all the reasons already mentioned by Totti. I've been op-up'd a number of times this past year (previous years were admittedly less). It provides extra baggage allowance on UA (which added 2nd-bag fees to non-elites). And the LH 20% award voucher each year. And seat-blocking when it works.

To those who say "but you get no miles", I manage to do nicely with $1 Presidential Coin purchases and a number of other promos (t-mobile, et al.) throughout this year and previous years.

The question now: where's my e-mail to extend for next year? They haven't written to me yet even though I'm a sure bet. Persona non-grata?
IIRC extending the status can only be done online going forward.
There is a link out there somewhere which I cannot find right now ...
Old Nov 28, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by rorschi
No, but do YOU know that your miles will be posted accordingly?
This is the hidden knowledge of LH I am mighty afraid of ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.