Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

SEN renewal for €2000? Anyone else get this? [merged discussion of annual offer]

SEN renewal for €2000? Anyone else get this? [merged discussion of annual offer]

Old Oct 5, 08, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Platinum, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
Unhappy SEN renewal for €2000? Anyone else get this? [merged discussion of annual offer]

So I didn't requalify for SEN this year
Those Z fares have gone through the roof and I can't justify $3600 RT all the time on my dime...

So I got this email... €2000 is a hefty price tag for one year but I'd love to hear some thoughts...

Dear Dr. xxx

As a Senator, you enjoy numerous benefits and privileges and our special attention. I am therefore writing you today, to bring to your attention, that your Senator status expires at the end of February 2009.

As of 24 September 2008 your Miles & More account was showing that you accrued XXXXX status miles. In order to renew your status, you need 100,000 status miles. The missing status miles can easily be earned with the following Miles & More airline partners – on flights operated by Lufthansa, Lufthansa Private Jet, Adria Airways, Air Dolomiti, Air One, Austrian Airlines, Cirrus Airlines, Croatia Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, SWISS and other Star Alliance carriers.

If you are not able to earn the required number of status miles before 31 December 2008, you have the option to extend your Senator status another calendar year for a fee of 2,000 Euros. The relevant fax form can be downloaded here as a PDF.

If either of the above options to extend your status is not feasible, you will receive a Frequent Traveller card in the new year, which also entitles you to many benefits. As soon as you have earned 100.000 status miles, you will of course be sent a new Senator card.

We wish you a pleasant flight with us or any of our airline partners and would be delighted to continue to welcome you on board as a Senator.

Sincerely

1-866-846-4282

Hubert Frach
Vice President Marketing
Deutsche Lufthansa AG
Old Oct 5, 08, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Everybody who doesn't requalify is getting this.

But of course it's much cheaper to spend a few more EUR to top of the mileage balance to 100k instead of spending 2k EUR for one year of SEN (EUR 4k for 2 years).

SEN (for 2 years) can easily be FLOWN for 5k EUR (and you get more than 100k miles in return), but if you already have some status miles in your account, it's obviously cheaper.

Personally, I've booked an interesting MUC-CAI-BKK(-HAN/SGN-BKK)-CAI-MUC-HKG-MNL-HKG-SFO-YVR-SFO-HKG-MUC-CAI(-ASW-CAI)-MUC-Trip for next year (so far on LH, MS, SQ, CX and AF, all in paid F and C) in order to requalify and get to know a few interesting locations and airlines. Cost about EUR 7-8k.

Last edited by flysurfer; Oct 5, 08 at 12:30 pm
Old Oct 5, 08, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Platinum, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flysurfer View Post
Everybody who doesn't requalify is getting this.

But of course it's much cheaper to spend a few more EUR to top of the mileage balance to 100k instead of spending 2k EUR for one year of SEN (EUR 4k for 2 years).

SEN (for 2 years) can easily be FLOWN for 5k EUR (and you get more than 100k miles in return), but if you already have some status miles in your account, it's obviously cheaper.
Good points. But how can you possibly get SEN with 5000eur? That seems low to me unless you're flying CMB-somewhere...
Old Oct 5, 08, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
Good points. But how can you possibly get SEN with 5000eur? That seems low to me unless you're flying CMB-somewhere...
Numerous ways
8x Europe-ORD RT for 600E/each with AP.
3-4x Web special US-Europe for around 2k$ in C
10x Swiss Business upgrade for 3,5kE
1,5x Europe-Down Under for 3,5kE.
Old Oct 5, 08, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
Quite easily. Currently, there are a few popular discounted C class MRs ex Switzerland (weekends), or the recently popular MS flights ex Europe to Asia or South Africa. There's also a MR opportunity over Croatia. And of course the U.S. offers plenty of opportunities with domestic trips in 3 class F.

EUR 5k is actually quite high, if you push it, you can have SEN even cheaper. However, the experience could be boring and/or uncomfortable.

Personally, I'm not into MRs but prefer to turn the requalifying procedure into an interesting travel experience. In my case, it will take me all year to fly the before mentioned route between Januar and November 2009, with 3-5 nested tickets, all of them fully flexible regarding rebooking (and pretty much fully refundable), which is nice, as plan(e)s can change.
Old Oct 5, 08, 4:16 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Gold
And remember you only receive one e-voucher for each paid extension.
Old Oct 5, 08, 4:54 pm

Programs: LH FTL with one*
Originally Posted by flysurfer View Post
Quite easily. Currently, there are a few popular discounted C class MRs ex Switzerland (weekends),
Even better are the 4-segment-MRs via Switzerland (available from every European LX-destination except OPO, BRU and LUX). This makes 10'000 miles for about 300-350EUR.
Old Oct 5, 08, 5:41 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA, SQ, UA, HYATT, HH, IHG, SPG
How about HON CIRCLE can anyone get it by purchasing it and paying for example Euro 10k or 15K ? I know a lot of people who are interested in getting HON CIRCLE status but they hate to fly the 300k hon miles a year to get it.
Old Oct 6, 08, 12:49 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by LH/LX View Post
...I know a lot of people who are interested in getting HON CIRCLE status but they hate to fly the 300k hon miles a year to get it.
Get out...
Old Oct 6, 08, 12:55 am

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
Wirelessly posted (E51: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/568; U; de))

Originally Posted by LH/LX
How about HON CIRCLE can anyone get it by purchasing it and paying for example Euro 10k or 15K ? I know a lot of people who are interested in getting HON CIRCLE status but they hate to fly the 300k hon miles a year to get it.
It is not about buying a new status, only about extending (SEN) status.
Old Oct 6, 08, 5:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More forum

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
The OP may also want to check MR's out of BOS. For 2k EUR you can earn a lot of miles and by doing so you can extend status for 2 years and have some additional miles…
Old Oct 6, 08, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
US and UA Y-Up fares also spring to mind immediately if you are based in the US !
Old Oct 6, 08, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by totti View Post
The OP may also want to check MR's out of BOS. For 2k EUR you can earn a lot of miles and by doing so you can extend status for 2 years and have some additional miles…
Any hints on this?
Old Oct 6, 08, 5:30 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Yes, you are soooo right.
Old Oct 6, 08, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Yes, what a pain indeed ! Actually having to fly LH/LX metal to obtain their top tier customer status: quite outrageous !

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: