Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by dunehunter
I'm looking to book an award ticket for 2 in business (BRU-MEL) and I can find the date I want with a routing that works on the M&M website - the only problem is that the BRU-MUC flight only gives us a 45m layover at MUC, while there is plenty of award availability on earlier BRU-MUC flights.

If I pull the trigger and book this online and then call within 24h to change the BRU-MUC flight to an earlier one, am I still on the hook for the 2x50 euro change fee? I've had some pretty bad experiences trying to get award tickets booked over the phone, so I'd love to avoid going through all of that hassle again if possible.
The longer connections might not allow you to book the whole award because of married segments logic (or illogic).

I'd just call in with the exact flight numbers you want to book and just feed them to the agent. Also helpful is to prepare the NATO spelling of airports and names of the travellers on a piece of paper so that there's no confusion.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
LH M&M Program
Planning a bucket list trip for Spring 2021, and it looks like my best option for a F trip on the return (balancing total flight duration with airline options) is LH's PEK-FRA-ORD for a PEK-xxx-xxx-ORD return in F (limiting my choices to 2 stops at most). However my miles are concentrated in UA MP and Chase SR, and Chase does not partner with LH. Any recommendations for best partners for accumulating M&M points. Or does anyone have any ideas for executing a multi-airline transfer that would eventually give me M&M points... I currently have approximately 400K in both UA and Chase SR.... I expect to also have up to the same in AMEX by early 2020... which is my cutoff in order to lock in my desired flights for the 2021 trip. My trip is outbound ORD -- xxx's-DPS and PEK--xxx's-ORD return.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:00 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by Brostman
LH M&M Program
Planning a bucket list trip for Spring 2021, and it looks like my best option for a F trip on the return (balancing total flight duration with airline options) is LH's PEK-FRA-ORD for a PEK-xxx-xxx-ORD return in F (limiting my choices to 2 stops at most). However my miles are concentrated in UA MP and Chase SR, and Chase does not partner with LH. Any recommendations for best partners for accumulating M&M points. Or does anyone have any ideas for executing a multi-airline transfer that would eventually give me M&M points... I currently have approximately 400K in both UA and Chase SR.... I expect to also have up to the same in AMEX by early 2020... which is my cutoff in order to lock in my desired flights for the 2021 trip. My trip is outbound ORD -- xxx's-DPS and PEK--xxx's-ORD return.
Crossposting is not a good idea.

Others might prove me wrong, but since there's this lawsuit between a M&M customer and LH pending here in Germany, LH has disabled the remaining options to transfer miles to M&M (such as Marriott) to avoid setting a reference case for the "value" of a mile. Unless you can work with DKB, Payback (you can transfer AMEX -> Payback -> M&M) and loads of newspaper subscriptions I think your plan will most likely not fly. Sorry.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:12 pm

Thanks. Does that mean there needs to be award space on TG in order for the upgrade to clear? I thought the upgrade would book into a different fare class (no award availability on the itinerary I am looking at / nor any discounted business class paid fares either). Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Thanks. Does that mean there needs to be award space on TG in order for the upgrade to clear? I thought the upgrade would book into a different fare class (no award availability on the itinerary I am looking at / nor any discounted business class paid fares either). Thanks
Upgrades book into "I" just like straight up redemptions, but there's no guarantee that "I" availability has implications on upgrade availability.

The best you can do, if you want to go down that route, is to book, call and ask for an upgrade, and if it fails cancel within 24h to get a full refund. You might end up tying up a lot of money in your credit card if you have to do it a couple of times.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
How many hours in advance of flights does the LH counter at Newark Airport open? Or is it generally open all afternoon after a certain point? I'm flying on the 6pm departure to FRA next week and trying to figure out how early I can arrive to check my bag and go over to the Polaris Lounge. The LH web page for Newark doesn't specify "counter opens X hours in advance" or anything.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by cas_de
Crossposting is not a good idea.

Others might prove me wrong, but since there's this lawsuit between a M&M customer and LH pending here in Germany, LH has disabled the remaining options to transfer miles to M&M (such as Marriott) to avoid setting a reference case for the "value" of a mile. Unless you can work with DKB, Payback (you can transfer AMEX -> Payback -> M&M) and loads of newspaper subscriptions I think your plan will most likely not fly. Sorry.
Cas_de..... thank you for the insight. I am not a heavy Int'l flyer and just wanted to benefit from the extensive knowledge of many people like yourself to see if there was some strategy not otherwise obvious to me. As I mentioned, it is a bucket list trip and so I am looking to optimize all elements of the trip. And since I will be flying the equivalent of around the world, and since my goal is to do as much in F, I would like to utilize as much as possible with points to get the best value, but also keep my travel time to a reasonable level. Thanks again
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
How many hours in advance of flights does the LH counter at Newark Airport open? Or is it generally open all afternoon after a certain point? I'm flying on the 6pm departure to FRA next week and trying to figure out how early I can arrive to check my bag and go over to the Polaris Lounge. The LH web page for Newark doesn't specify "counter opens X hours in advance" or anything.
The LH checkin opens roughly 3h before departure of the first flight of the day and stays open for the rest of the day till the evening flight leaves. They will accept luggage for any flight.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:22 am

Ok, thanks. The funny thing is that Thai's fully flex economy tickets (Y/B) are actually not "fully refundable" and they charge a $100 cancellation fee. Itinerary does not touch US soil so the 24h cancellation policy does not seem to be available on TG's site. I have also searched in several OTAs but when you try to search for "refundable tickets" they are in a different fare class (not Y/B). Any suggestions for an OTA that has the 24h free cancellation, and would allow me to book into Y or B? Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:20 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by speed.skater; Sep 6, 2019 at 6:10 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:10 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
There is no F on ZRH-TLV
speed.skater likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:08 pm

Miles Transfer

I am 859 miles short for my desired award booking (MCI-KRK) in premium economy. I would like to fly in the next couple weeks and there are plenty of available dates. I have tried several times in the last 2 weeks to have my brother utilize M&M new miles transfer option(10 Euros per 1,000 miles). Each attempt has met with an "unexpected error" message. The fee associated with the transfer does process though, showing up on his credit card for each failed attempt(6x). He tried again a few days ago hoping that the issued had been resolved, but met with the same outcome. I have called and emailed customer service, but have not received a response. The mile transfer company is Loylogic, they require an order number to file an inquiry, but due to the "unexpected error" message an order number is not available. Any thoughts on how to get the additional miles quickly since hotel point conversions are not available anymore. Thanks for any insight, my 1st post.

Last edited by twodollarjoe; Jul 30, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by speed.skater
Is there an "help me find a fare" thread on this subforum? If yes, could moderation kindly move my post? If not, I'll just ask here.

I have two evouchers which expire by the end of the year. Unfortunately, I have no work-related travel coming up which lends itselves to using them.

So I'm thinking I buy a cheap P business fare and upgrade one leg to F using the evouchers. What would be the cheapest eligible P fare?

I'm based in FRA but I'm willing to position somewhere. What I've come up with is a XER-FRA-DXB r/t for around 1000 euro. Another option would be MAN-ZRH-TLV for around 1000 euro as well.

I'm mostly interested in experiencing the FCT or the Swiss First lounge. But the ZRH-TLV flight is perhaps a bit short for the full F experience.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Ideal travel time would be September. I'd also consider a o/w or a mixed-class r/t..
There are a few P offers ex France which you can use if you take the bus from XER. (Note that you have to take the bus from XER, the driver hands a list of pax to someone in FRA). NYC is 1800€, India 1500, HKG or SIN only 1900€.

Google flights helps you to visualize this (sadly it doesn't recognize XER, so I used SXB and CDG for this example): https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...1314648438;t:e
speed.skater likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:34 pm

Thank you. Sorry, got a while to get to this page again. I filed with LH last week via their feedback site, have not heard back from them yet. I guess this is normal?

Originally Posted by malmostoso
According to FR24 you should finally arrive at 12:09 in FRA. When making your claim, just keep it short and say that you were on LH469 which was supposed to arrive at FRA at 7:00, arrived at 12:09, and that the delay was due to a mechanical failure. No need to mention the diversion and other stuff.

Yes, it should be 600€.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by kvota
Thank you. Sorry, got a while to get to this page again. I filed with LH last week via their feedback site, have not heard back from them yet. I guess this is normal?
Yes. Make sure you have received an automated response with a case number. If you haven't heard back in 6 weeks you can write again to ask for feedback.
kvota likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.