Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikkelhk
So it could "simply" be due to some big event leading to a lot of business class bookings on this date?
No big event in the region around that date from what I can see. Also, quite a few routes from the US to Europe are well-booked Su/Mo/Th/Fr in C for obvious reasons (US-based pax fly out Su/Mo, EU-based pax fly their return Th/Fr).

So if there are a few more seats booked on LH463 than, say, a week earlier, it may be just by chance and nothing with a structural explanation. People love to see a pattern or a system when there is none.

Keep in mind that even the models used by revenue management are statistical ones. They can't offer a structural explanation for a single flight on a given date, either.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by speed.skater
No big event in the region around that date from what I can see. Also, quite a few routes from the US to Europe are well-booked Su/Mo/Th/Fr in C for obvious reasons (US-based pax fly out Su/Mo, EU-based pax fly their return Th/Fr).
So if there are a few more seats booked on LH463 than, say, a week earlier, it may be just by chance and nothing with a structural explanation. People love to see a pattern or a system when there is none. Keep in mind that even the models used by revenue management are statistical ones. They can't offer a structural explanation for a single flight on a given date, either.
Thanks for your reply, however I was rather thinking that a major or minor company could have a lot of business tickets booked for the flight, prior to or after a meeting/exhibition etc.
It was more the fact that our flight was scheduled with a A346 rather than the quite smaller, seasonal base-line A343 (in terms of Business Class seats) that was interesting to me. The A346 seems to have about 30 fewer Economy seats than the A343, so the equipment change is probably related to the hefty Business Class occupancy.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:24 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by speed.skater; Sep 6, 2019 at 6:04 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:24 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thanks for your reply, however I was rather thinking that a major or minor company could have a lot of business tickets booked for the flight, prior to or after a meeting/exhibition etc.
It was more the fact that our flight was scheduled with a A346 rather than the quite smaller, seasonal base-line A343 (in terms of Business Class seats) that was interesting to me. The A346 seems to have about 30 fewer Economy seats than the A343, so the equipment change is probably related to the hefty Business Class occupancy.
LH has been known to increase capacity on specific days to accommodate cruise passengers. Does it matter why the equipment has been changed on the particular day?

The A346 has 64 Business seats (including 8 First Class seats sold as Business) and on Dec 8 all but 13 are already reserved. The A343 has 30 Business seats and on Dec 1 only 4 seats are reserved at present.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
LH has been known to increase capacity on specific days to accommodate cruise passengers. Does it matter why the equipment has been changed on the particular day?
The A346 has 64 Business seats (including 8 First Class seats sold as Business) and on Dec 8 all but 13 are already reserved. The A343 has 30 Business seats and on Dec 1 only 4 seats are reserved at present.
We're actually flying home after a cruise on that day as well, so that's a good point. I know that many cruisers prefer to fly in higher classes than standard Economy, so could be a big cruise group flying home from/out to a cruise.
No, it doesn't matter WHY, I just found it interesting that the A346 was seemingly only flying this single LH462/463 out of many others I had checked, and December 8 happened to be the day we were doing that flight. That's all.
I get the point, I should absolutely stop speculating or thinking about anything related to equipment change reason, that point has now been imprinted thoroughly!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:47 am

Hello everyone,
I am new here and am hoping to get some advice from the experts. :-) I have a trip booked through LH website. FRA-SJO outbound. Inbound on SJO-MEX (Interjet), MEX-FRA (LH). All one booking (revenue). Booking in class D outbound, P inbound. Just received an email from LH with an involuntary change to the inbound flights. (Interjet) SJO-MEX now leaves 30 minutes earlier than originally scheduled. (LH) MEX-FRA leaves 15 minutes earlier than planned. Being at the airport in time for that (Interjet) SJO-MEX flight is now going to be very difficult for me. I called LH to see if they could move me instead to an LH direct flight SJO-FRA the following day. The representative first said no, she couldn't do anything because it is Interjet that has made the involuntary change. When I pointed out that the LH flight MEX-FRA was also changed, she checked with her help desk but the answer was still no, they were not willing to move me to the LH SJO-FRA flight the following day. Her reason was that the (LH) MEX-FRA flight only changed by 15 minutes, and that wasn't enough to warrant a re-scheduling of my tickets. I will sincerely have difficulty making that Interjet flight now. I want to call back and try again, but I'd like to hear whether any of you have any advice or experience with a similar situation. Many thanks in advance for your help!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Try another agent, 30 minutes to a flight LH sold you on a LH ticket ought to be enough to warrant the change, since it’s involuntary
Baker421 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by chris63
Try another agent, 30 minutes to a flight LH sold you on a LH ticket ought to be enough to warrant the change, since it’s involuntary
I'd also try another agent, but 30min usually isn't really enough to force anything from LH. It would be voluntarily from their side. I had success in the past (but as SEN) when requesting changes on flight schedule changes of about the same magnitude, but as much I know the "golden rule" is 1hr schedule change, over which the airlines can't really say anything against a reasonable request.
Baker421 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I'd also try another agent, but 30min usually isn't really enough to force anything from LH. It would be voluntarily from their side. I had success in the past (but as SEN) when requesting changes on flight schedule changes of about the same magnitude, but as much I know the "golden rule" is 1hr schedule change, over which the airlines can't really say anything against a reasonable request.
Well, it is a change to the contract & the OP is concerned about arriving in time, for a J class pax it’s a poor attitude by LH & presumably the OP could cancel for free but that might not be beneficial
Baker421 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:55 am

Thank you YuropFlyer and Chris63. I tried again and they were equally unhelpful. Perhaps if I had status with LH the outcome would be different. It is, however, surprising that they would treat paying business class passengers this way. I have five J class tickets on this booking. Maybe if it was just one or two people on the booking they'd have been more willing? I don't know. However, I had assumed that by paying for a higher class ticket I might be extended a little more courtesy. Obviously I was wrong. C'est la vie. Now on to figure out how to make that earlier flight . . .
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baker421
Thank you YuropFlyer and Chris63. I tried again and they were equally unhelpful. Perhaps if I had status with LH the outcome would be different. It is, however, surprising that they would treat paying business class passengers this way. I have five J class tickets on this booking. Maybe if it was just one or two people on the booking they'd have been more willing? I don't know. However, I had assumed that by paying for a higher class ticket I might be extended a little more courtesy. Obviously I was wrong. C'est la vie. Now on to figure out how to make that earlier flight . . .
‘Thanks for reporting back & sorry they were unwilling to be reasonable, Status ought to have helped but LH is becoming horribly transactional..... Good luck with your timekeeping
Baker421 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:43 am

Hello,
We have an upcoming flight on November 8, BLL-FRA-VIE (LH839/LH1242). This weekend trip to Vienna was a wedding gift from me to my wife, and I have thought about bidding for a cash upgrade to Business Class on the LH1242 leg. I'm just a bit unsure what exactly this would give us, other than of course Business Class seating:
-Would it give us access to the Business Lounge in FRA, although our layover is only 75 minutes (in other words, would we even be able to reach the lounge and then our gate in that time)? The first leg BLL-FRA would still be in Economy.
-LH1242 is an 80 minutes flight, so as I understand it, this will mean a full service serving in Business Class. Is it possible to order special meals in Business Class, as my wife has gluten intolerance?
-Is it worth bidding for an upgrade on a (currently scheduled) A320 Sharklets flight, or...
-Alternatively, I could bid for and upgrade for LH1239 on November 10, which is scheduled with an A321.
-The bid-o-meter starts at 80€pp, is that far off from realistic?
-What is the current occupation level in Business on LH1242 on November 8, and LH1239 on November 10?
-Both outbound and inbound legs are currently booked in Class T (Economy Light). If an upgrade is approved, will I receive the Business Class amount of points for that leg, or points of the originally booked class, ie. T?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Hello,
We have an upcoming flight on November 8, BLL-FRA-VIE (LH839/LH1242). This weekend trip to Vienna was a wedding gift from me to my wife, and I have thought about bidding for a cash upgrade to Business Class on the LH1242 leg. I'm just a bit unsure what exactly this would give us, other than of course Business Class seating:
-Would it give us access to the Business Lounge in FRA, although our layover is only 75 minutes (in other words, would we even be able to reach the lounge and then our gate in that time)? The first leg BLL-FRA would still be in Economy.
-LH1242 is an 80 minutes flight, so as I understand it, this will mean a full service serving in Business Class. Is it possible to order special meals in Business Class, as my wife has gluten intolerance?
-Is it worth bidding for an upgrade on a (currently scheduled) A320 Sharklets flight, or...
-Alternatively, I could bid for and upgrade for LH1239 on November 10, which is scheduled with an A321.
-The bid-o-meter starts at 80€pp, is that far off from realistic?
-What is the current occupation level in Business on LH1242 on November 8, and LH1239 on November 10?
-Both outbound and inbound legs are currently booked in Class T (Economy Light). If an upgrade is approved, will I receive the Business Class amount of points for that leg, or points of the originally booked class, ie. T?

Thanks in advance!
To answer last question first you won’t get the upgrade points.

I bid €80 and got the upgrade on a recent two hour flight from MUC to DUB. I did get lounge access but I had a three hour layover. For 75 mins I’m not so sure it would be worth it as it is the major benefit. Other than that you do get a meal and the middle seat free but that’s about it. No extra leg room really on the A320 I was on. I did it mostly for the lounge. My flight was a Saturday night, which probably helped in me getting the upgrade. FRA/VIE could be a lot busier depending on the day and time of day so the lowest bid might not do it.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by alserire
To answer last question first you won’t get the upgrade points.
I bid €80 and got the upgrade on a recent two hour flight from MUC to DUB. I did get lounge access but I had a three hour layover. For 75 mins I’m not so sure it would be worth it as it is the major benefit. Other than that you do get a meal and the middle seat free but that’s about it. No extra leg room really on the A320 I was on. I did it mostly for the lounge. My flight was a Saturday night, which probably helped in me getting the upgrade. FRA/VIE could be a lot busier depending on the day and time of day so the lowest bid might not do it.
Thanks a lot for your answer, I reckoned that the 160€ might come to better use in Vienna for a restaurant or the like.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Any thoughts on what next in terms of:-

* Any refund for unflown sector
* Any chance of reimbursement of expenses
* What is best channel of communication with LH?

Was meant to be flying TXL-MUC-BHX today in business class (revenue / paid for ticket). TXL-MUC was cancelled, presumably due to security breach.

I rebooked via call centre to TXL-FRA-BHX

Flight TXL-FRA delayed on stand in TXL due to weather. Arrived at A gates at 16:42 (instead of 15:55) my connection to BHX was from B at 16:55. I got to gate as quickly as I could via tunnel of doom, it was around 16:58 but the flight had closed.

Went to Business Lounge and helpful agent tried her best, waitlisted me for 22:10 BHX flight - overbooked already apparently. Also at my suggestion tried Heathrow, City and Manchester but all full for rest of day.

I could see BA had availability - J6 on 18:35 flight and J9 on last flight of day. This, I was told, was not available - showed me her screen which showed that she couldn’t rebook me on those flights. So LH were unable to offer me a guaranteed seat on a flight to the UK that day.

So I asked if I could book myself could I get my bag back and how quickly could that happen? Ended up booking last minute 14,000 Avios and 50p for a CE ticket - lady was able to get my bag tag transferred over to BA without having to check in again.

Made BA flight (as did my bag!), further ground delay due to weather but safely home now - caught Heathrow Express to Paddington, cab to Euston and the 21:43 train to Birmingham, got me in just gone 11pm. Walked home from New St station in Birmingham.

As per beginning, is it worth asking for any of these costs back from LH? My gut feeling is LH will recalculate fare and say actually if anything you owe us money for your short journey TXL-FRA so no refund for unflown sector and you should have waited and if needed we would have given you a hotel in Frankfurt and put you on a flight the next day. I’m not going to bother with EU compensation claim as it’s security and weather and I fully understand these things happen.

For future reference, is it really right that LH won’t endorse over to non *A even in irrops such as above? I didn’t want to waste time arguing as had 1 hour 10 to change terminals and not getting back to UK today wasn’t something I wanted to risk. Agent in FRA was very helpful and on the ball and I believed she couldn’t help me further. Was grateful to her for interlining my bag for me - she made a phone call to make it happen. Were it not for her I would have had to book later BA flight, take a hotel in London and catch first train to Birmingham as have work tomorrow.

Any advice gratefully received...thank you!

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Aug 27, 2019 at 6:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.