Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by sadcwen
I currently hold Senator status with Lufthansa valid through 2020.

I will not be requalifying this year as I estimate I'll have around 55K status miles by end of year as I took a sabatical. Next year, I will likely be doing less trans-atlantic and more inter-EU travel, so I'll likely end up around the 50-60K mark. This is due to the nature of my work travel becoming significantly more focused on EU travel.

This would mean losing my Senator status and falling back to frequent traveller. Below are the options I've been able to come up with so far. I'd be very thankful on any advice on where to ask these questions or any help (old threads) anyone can point me to.

1) Swtiching program

I've looked at SAS, where I would only need 45 segments, regardless of status miles, to qualify for Gold.

Another option that was brought to my attention was Turkish, where I would need only 40K miles for Gold.

The challenge I see with this option is how I can continue to use the benefits of my Senator status next year, while collecting status on another program to qualify there?

2) Other forms of re-qualificaiton

A friend of mine did not requalify for Senator - he ended up being offered to purchase a renewal of his status for something like $1000 USD

This seems like a risky move to rely on, considering I can't find any information that would point at what circumstances trigger this offer or how to become eligible.

3) Forwarded status miles awards

I've not been able to find it, but I remember reading somwhere that as Senator a certain percantage of status miles can be 'credited' for the following year.

Again, this seems like it will put me right back where I am a year or two later... which would still be better considering I do not yet know what my travel will look like in 2 years.

Any help if much appreciated, and if anyone has experience switching programs I'd be very interested in the correct place here to have that conversation.
@SK: Bear in mind that 45 segments have to be on SAS and Wideroe. So any segments on LH Group don't count.
Still it might be your best chance, if you can get 45K status miles on SAS. Check the earnings charts.

@TK: Bear in mind that TK (and A3) will not credit as much miles as LH group. In many cases they get 0 on LH, even in Business Class (P).
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:17 am
Suspended

1) Swtiching program

I've looked at SAS, where I would only need 45 segments, regardless of status miles, to qualify for Gold.

Another option that was brought to my attention was Turkish, where I would need only 40K miles for Gold.
Keep in mind in many *A mileage programs, low booking classes will earn nothing. When flying on LH or OS, booking classes K, L, and T (economy) and P (business) might be excluded. Some booking classes may earn less when crediting to another program. E.g., flying LH in business long-haul in Z gives 175% on M&M (including exec bonus) but only 125% when crediting to OZ or SQ.

A friend of mine did not requalify for Senator - he ended up being offered to purchase a renewal of his status for something like $1000 USD
It's EUR 2000 for a one-year extension. Not exactly a great deal.

I remember reading somwhere that as Senator a certain percantage of status miles can be 'credited' for the following year.
No, can't be done with earnings from flying. With the M&M credit card you could sort of do that. But in a very limited way. We're talking 5k status miles max so it's basically peanuts.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:38 am

I wonder if anyone is able to shed any light on the dark art that is Lufthansa Revenue management?

I have a Europe to Australia ticket, booked in 'A' class flying out in December, and back in January i.e. peak travel time.

From looking at Expertflyer, the days I would like to come back the flights are showing as A0 for a connecting itinerary on LH778 (however they are showing as A1/A2 when booked as a single SIN-FRA segment).

Does anyone have any experience of asking to waitlist on a revenue fare, for A class as a SEN?

If I call the first class line, will they be able to waitlist me for a few days and see if they can clear or open up 'A' class for me?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Married segments make a difference & RM prefer to remain mysterious

If your already booked in F ( A ) for sure the F line is your best option
Dave_C likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Hi LH crew, I have M&B status but the next two flights with LH are K and V so it makes more sense for me to route them to my M&M account. Unfortunately I have 12k M&M and I cannot upgrade the V flight (15K are needed) and I cannot come up with a quick strategy to earn the missing miles before the flight (suggestions)?
Anyway, I don't understand how many miles should I make using the M&M account. The calculator asks me info that I do not have (I didn't book, the travel agent did for me). Any help?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by chris63
Married segments make a difference & RM prefer to remain mysterious

If your already booked in F ( A ) for sure the F line is your best option
Yeah, my return flight is booked on the 1st Jan so I’d rather have another few days!

I’m passing through MUC in a couple of weeks time so was going to ask at the ticket desk there in person and see what they’re able to do.

The ticket desk at LHR (my home base) is all outsourced as opposed to actual LH employees. If that doesn’t work, the F Line sounds a great idea.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jumpallover
Hi LH crew, I have M&B status but the next two flights with LH are K and V so it makes more sense for me to route them to my M&M account. Unfortunately I have 12k M&M and I cannot upgrade the V flight (15K are needed) and I cannot come up with a quick strategy to earn the missing miles before the flight (suggestions)?
Anyway, I don't understand how many miles should I make using the M&M account. The calculator asks me info that I do not have (I didn't book, the travel agent did for me). Any help?
No one can give you that information without the routing & the price paid, award miles are based on the ticket value, lots of information in this forum on the new revenue based system.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Yeah, my return flight is booked on the 1st Jan so I’d rather have another few days!

I’m passing through MUC in a couple of weeks time so was going to ask at the ticket desk there in person and see what they’re able to do.

The ticket desk at LHR (my home base) is all outsourced as opposed to actual LH employees. If that doesn’t work, the F Line sounds a great idea.
Since it’s a First Class ticket, the F line has greater flexibility over the fare rules, certainly more than any LH ticket desk staff but it’s unlikely they are going to open A class inventory just because you want extra time at your destination
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by speed.skater
Keep in mind in many *A mileage programs, low booking classes will earn nothing. When flying on LH or OS, booking classes K, L, and T (economy) and P (business) might be excluded. Some booking classes may earn less when crediting to another program. E.g., flying LH in business long-haul in Z gives 175% on M&M (including exec bonus) but only 125% when crediting to OZ or SQ.
Thanks, this was actually really helpful!

Based on this I pulled my travel stats for the last ~18 months.

I applied the miles from the earnings charts for TK and overlaid my points from LH.

Total for the past 18 months (incl 4 month sabatical)

LH 91k
TK 80k

Analyzing only EU flights it comes to

LH 40k
TK 25k

It seems that the executive bonus pays of in the long run, and earning miles on those low fare economy (and business!) tickets as well.

SAS is not my favorite EU ariline, to be honest, I avoid them where I can.

This leaves me with 3 questions:

1) Can I even start earning miles with TK and still leverage my *G with LH, for example to access lounges, fast track, priority boarding etc if my TK number (with no status) is attached to the boarding pass?

If no, then I guess I'm locked in.

2) Wouldn't it be significantly easier to make up a 15k difference with a milage run on TK than a 60k difference on LH?

I'm still pretty sure I'll qualify for *G on TK without having to do a run.

3) Have I missed anything or am I oversimplifying this?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Flying ORD-MUC-TXL in biz, with a few hours to burn in MUC. I believe being *G and in biz gets me biz lounge and sen lounge access in MUC. Any recommendations on which lounge to visit during the layover?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
1) Can I even start earning miles with TK and still leverage my *G with LH, for example to access lounges, fast track, priority boarding etc if my TK number (with no status) is attached to the boarding pass?
Yes. You input your TK number at booking, and just flash your LH*G card when entering lounges. That's how I moved from LH to UA

2) Wouldn't it be significantly easier to make up a 15k difference with a milage run on TK than a 60k difference on LH?
Depends on your location and available TK flights, but most probably, yes.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by rolltribe
Flying ORD-MUC-TXL in biz, with a few hours to burn in MUC. I believe being *G and in biz gets me biz lounge and sen lounge access in MUC. Any recommendations on which lounge to visit during the layover?
If I were you, I'd pass immigration, go take shower in the SEN lounge, and then move to the Senator Cafe, I find it much nicer and cosier than the main lounge.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rolltribe
I’d go to the SEN lounge in the satellite which is much nicer than the windowless lounges in the main terminal.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I’d go to the SEN lounge in the satellite which is much nicer than the windowless lounges in the main terminal.
Good call, NewbieRunner. Satellite, definitely.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by hdogan
If I were you, I'd pass immigration, go take shower in the SEN lounge, and then move to the Senator Cafe, I find it much nicer and cosier than the main lounge.
In my opinion, the SEN Cafe is a weird windowless cubicle and, to be honest, somewhat overhyped.

SEN lounges in K/L are the place to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.