Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa business class [merged] experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
How do you select your meals in advance?
You can find them here
https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/menu-card

and then decide if you need to order a special meal or go for one of the choices on board. Unlike airlines like BR, however, you cannot pre-select a meal from the menu.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:39 am

Find part of the answer here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29872214-post72.html

May I suggest not to ask the same questions in multiple threads.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:41 am

How do you select your meals in advance?
You cannot select the meals in advance, you can peruse the menu in advance e.g. LH491 JUNE: https://lh-menu.de/download/2018--05-06/C/491
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Find part of the answer here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29872214-post72.html

May I suggest not to ask the same questions in multiple threads.
The flights amenities are not clear for the flight in this direction. In addition, the issue of if you’re able to view the menu of your flight before the flight online was never asked.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:26 am

The flights amenities are not clear for the flight in this direction. In addition, the issue of if you’re able to view the menu of your flight before the flight online was never asked.
Re your second question: All the FT wisdom seems to be in the following thread you have already discovered:

LH introduces pyjamas and mattresses in Business Class

SEA-FRA should now consistently get mattress and sleep shirt.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Re your second question: All the FT wisdom seems to be in the following thread you have already discovered:

LH introduces pyjamas and mattresses in Business Class

SEA-FRA should now consistently get mattress and sleep shirt.
So says a whole entire one person. Not that I don’t trust that person, but if there are more people on this forum who fly this route who can confirm that, it would be appreciated, hence why I started the new thread.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: LH HON

So says a whole entire one person. Not that I don’t trust that person, but if there are more people on this forum who fly this route who can confirm that, it would be appreciated, hence why I started the new thread.
if we start a thread to discuss the amenities on every single route now... that sounds like a great idea
worldclubber and sw1x like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:06 am

Don‘t get me wrong, but the first-hand report of one (very experienced) flier on a particular route in a particular class is often the best you will get.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Also, on a 744, LH has (crazily) configured the upper deck with *only* 1 toilet forward, right behind the cockpit - when there used to be 2 earlier for 8 x F pax.
I would not fly a 744 on the upper deck (or even at all) - as the ratio of pax to toilets is too high.
About 20-23 pax per toilet seems a tolerable ratio for Business Class to me.
Same as Swiss has on it's longhaul fleet, and that does not disturb be.

Just out of curiosity:
According to the seatmap on Lufthansa.com, there are still 2 toilets on the upper deck. LH 747-400 Seatmap

Is one reserved for the cockpit crew, during the whole flight?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
About 20-23 pax per toilet seems a tolerable ratio for Business Class to me.
Same as Swiss has on it's longhaul fleet, and that does not disturb be.

Just out of curiosity:
According to the seatmap on Lufthansa.com, there are still 2 toilets on the upper deck. LH 747-400 Seatmap

Is one reserved for the cockpit crew, during the whole flight?
yes, the other one is behind the door to the cockpit. Look very closely at the thin line on the LH seatmap...
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by MichielR

yes, the other one is behind the door to the cockpit. Look very closely at the thin line on the LH seatmap...
Thank you sir!
I saw the separating line on the seatmap, but wasn‘t sure if it was just a curtain or a door.

Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:47 am

We flew LH VIE-FRA-IAH yesterday. Had a few hits and misses but overall, pretty pleasant.

We had checked in online and were doing carry-on only so headed straight to the gate at VIE. Just short of the security station we were stopped by a young man who made us weigh our bags. Mine was just under 12 kilos. He said that I would have to check the bag. He had us go around the corner where there was a remote check in counter. The lady there was adamant that carry on bags could not be more than 8 kilos. Our bags are 21 inch, narrow profile "Ebags." They will even fit in most RJ overhead bins. It doesn't make sense to check a 26 pound carry on. (My backpack weighed as much as my suitcase but they didn't ask about it.) It doesn't change the overall gross weight of the aircraft to put a slightly overweight bag in the baggage bays rather than the overhead bin. Because we were headed home, I didn't mind too much not having to drag the bags through FRA for our connection but... I just don't get it. LH and OS are the only carriers I've ever encounted (and that is many international carriers) that bothers with hand luggage. (This was actually OS staff intercepting OS and LH pax.) Even more frustrating is that there were MANY carry on bags being brought aboard both flights that were much bigger than ours. So, it is not evenly enforced.

At least on arrival at IAH, we had to wait no longer than about 20 minutes for our bags to come off the full A380, even though, like UA, they pay absolutely no attention to the priority tags.

We were in Biz on the VIE-FRA leg. A320 but NOT biz class seats. The plane appeared to be set up for all coach seating but in Biz the middle seats were blocked. The seats themselves were identical to the coach seats. No pre departure drink offered even though we boarded 30 minutes earlier. No ice available for my coke. Flight attendant said it had already melted! This was an 0610 departure. Impossible for ice to have already melted unless it was catered the night before. Most likely, no ice was put on board at all. Points off for the "A" flight attendant for not checking his galley when he came onboard. Crew boarded about 5:25. Boarding began at 5:40. Plenty of time to have gotten some ice on board.

We were served a basic Euro breakfast. Sliced meats, cheese, roll, yogurt/granola. Overall, not impressed with LH's short haul Biz class product. UA's short haul Biz product is far superior.

Transition in FRA was quick and painless. Two passport and/or document checks. We had about 2.5 hours connecting time and spent most of it in the lounge. The boarding lounge was a zoo but we were about the 15th or so in the Biz Class line so boarded fairly quickly. 1000 scheudled departure but we pushed the gate 45 minutes late due to a couple of idiots checking their bags then not boarding the plane. Can you imagine shifting through 800 or so bags (over 500 pax on board) searching for two bags to pull off! Due to the delay we lost our slot entering the North Atlantic control and that took a couple of minutes to sort out but we began our take off roll at 1100. Arrived IAH exactly 45 minutes late.

We were offered a PDB shortly after we settled in: water or OJ. I noticed the other aisle was getting champagne so I went to the galley to inquire and the FA brought us champagne. We were in 23D/G, happy to have the middle section seats and also to be in the upstairs mini-cabin of the A380. Decent hard product. Fairly comfortable seats. My seat control was a little finicky. I had to press one of the buttons very hard to get a response. Seats might have been a little plusher but they weren't bad. My bride put her's in full flat bed mode for a long nap and she was very comfortable. I didn't sleep so only reclined with foot rest up.
Pretty good AVOC though the selection of movies was very dated. No new release movies like we had on UA going over.

Service was Excellent. All flight attendants we encountered were young, cheerful and attractive. Even the senior purser, who came by and greeted us by name, was very pleasant. Top marks for the onboard staff for attention and personality. This is contrary to many trip reports I've read on LH.

Food was so-so. Nothing special. Wouldn't be surprised if it was replated fare also served in coach. Ravioli was dried out. Snack soup prior to arrival was very decent. Had some really nice wines.
Overall, UA wins on food.

Loved the A380! First time on LH and on an A380. Does not seem massive sitting in the upper deck. But it was very quiet up there! We were concerned about the cabin being too warm and dressed in light weight materials. We were very comfortable the entire trip.

Our east bound TATL flight was on a UA 767. I find that the hard product in Polaris Biz class superior to the LH hard product. Seats were more comfortable and had more receptacles in which to plug in our devices. The A380 only had one per seat. The food was much better on UA with more selections on the menu, and much better quality food. UA also wins on the wine selection with a more extensive list from which to choose, as well as more than one or two beers to choose from. UA's ice cream cart is also far superior to LH's ice cream, which is served in cardboard container it came in. And we had an incredibly attentive, but not intrusive, FA, on our EWR-ZHR UA flight.

But I'll take the A380 over a 767 any day!

Overall, the LH flight was very enjoyable. It just doesn't quite match up with the UA Polaris product, based on our two long haul flights, which were two weeks apart. I know people will disagree. It's all subjective and this is the perception based on my own experience.
Dianne47 and ToddSpam like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Annoying that they made you weigh the carryon, it only happens relatively rarely, but it does happen.

European airlines don't have J seats, instead, they have flexible cabins with middle seat blocking, and sometimes lateraly moveable armrests. I don't enjoy it either, but I get it. J demand varies wildly between routes.

re. ice - you might have noticed Europeans don't care much for ice normally.. but I find the explanation puzzling as well.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: LX SEN
I do not believe that there is any ice on LH/LX shorthaul. I consistently ask, but am always told that there is none.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:41 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Nic33
I do not believe that there is any ice on LH/LX shorthaul. I consistently ask, but am always told that there is none.
Now you say it, on my last two recent LH flights I remember ordering a coke and both times they asked Ice and Lemon? (Eis und Zitrone?) to which I replied yes, but I only got the lemon... Not that I mind, I don't like ice in my coke, so on the second flight I said no to the ice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.