Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa business class [merged] experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by worldclubber
What do you want to know?

I prefer K (window) for day flights, but H is good for overnight flights. Row 3 is very quiet as the galley of the F cabin is in front of row 1 and the galley and lavatories of the J cabin are behind row 7.
That's perfect. Thanks! I like aisle access as I have to use the bathroom embarrassingly frequently.

The last 2 times on LH long-haul, I was in 7B on the A359, with 7A unoccupied both times. Will monitor the seatmap in this case to see if I can remain lucky.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Nic33
LH J hard product is consistent on all its longhaul fleet, which is an exception in the industry. Seats are ok to my view. It is more a matter of personal taste. Food is never great in the sky due to inflight constraints, atltitude etc. But it is true that LH often serves a weird kind of desert (industrial ice-cream). Unlike the opinion expressed here, I believe that LH's service is very good.
I think LH's seat is objectively inferior, compared to most in industry:
(1) no guaranteed aisle access
(2) little privacy and quite "intimate" arrangement for seat pairs
(3) a bit lumpy in bed mode

That said, I do think some people over-scrutinize the flying experience. Food quality is basically the same across all prominent carriers, save for TK which is but a hair ahead.
A flight is just that -- a means of transport. As long as as there is no consistent muck-up in the service (terribly slow, terribly rude, etc), it's basically all the same. I can't be bothered to compare which carrier serves more nuts, or has more fanciful hand lotion.
When I'm traveling with a partner, #1 and #2 above doesn't matter. I'm an easy sleeper so long as my legs stretch out, so #3 isn't a worry either. If the route/time is good, and price is competitive, it passes the test for me.
NWplatinum and worldclubber like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by deniah
I think LH's seat is objectively inferior, compared to most in industry:
(1) no guaranteed aisle access
(2) little privacy and quite "intimate" arrangement for seat pairs
(3) a bit lumpy in bed mode

That said, I do think some people over-scrutinize the flying experience. Food quality is basically the same across all prominent carriers, save for TK which is but a hair ahead.
A flight is just that -- a means of transport. As long as as there is no consistent muck-up in the service (terribly slow, terribly rude, etc), it's basically all the same. I can't be bothered to compare which carrier serves more nuts, or has more fanciful hand lotion.
When I'm traveling with a partner, #1 and #2 above doesn't matter. I'm an easy sleeper so long as my legs stretch out, so #3 isn't a worry either. If the route/time is good, and price is competitive, it passes the test for me.
Well summed up. Strictly speaking from US-Europe no carrier’s J shines as the absolute best. F class is another story obviously, but strictly speaking J nobody is best.

I guess the Airlines where J is their most premium product can be slightly better like Brussels and Austrian, but really nothing that much better. Obviously Qatar has the best J, but not really relevant to get from US-Europe.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by deniah
If the route/time is good, and price is competitive, it passes the test for me.
Exactly: for me, it comes down to route/time as the key factor for most of my flights.

Hate to climb over another passenger from my window seat in J when travelling alone, but usually have to do that once (or twice on long flights) per flight. Would I be prepared to accept a much less convenient route/time to avoid this one climb? Rather not.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Obviously Qatar has the best J, but not really relevant to get from US-Europe.
Well, unless you get stuck in one of their many 777, which has a terrible J product. As with many other carriers, inconsistency is a real problem when flying Qatar.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, FB Gold, BA Silver
I've had some ups and downs with LH flights in business class. Here is a small recap and my findings.
  • In general the seats are quite ok. I sleep better in them than in the diamond seat other airlines use. The only problem is the narrow area for my feet.
  • Seat layout is a bit inconvenient and not ideal for relaxing, working or sleeping as those near windows have to climb over to get to the aisle and there is not much privacy. On the other side I'm pleased all seats are now full flat as some airlines still use recliners in J.
  • Quite a few seat issues where it wouldn't recline properly and once the air filled seat was deflated and since both F and J were full I was stuck sleeping on some blankets but it was still very hard and there are some thick wires running through the seat which hurt - never received compensation for it either.
  • Once my seat from Vancouver was covered in chocolate covered rice cracker bits and pieces from a previous guest and a bag of trash left under the foot support so my seat was apparently not cleaned at all. Stewardess just ignored my complaint. No apologies or compensation.
  • Sometimes they close the front toilets for unknown reasons leaving only two toilets for the entire business class which can cause some jams prior to landing.
  • Amenities are quite ok, but nothing fancy. Lufthansa has the best sleep mask of all airlines.
  • Best LH news for years is the introduction of sleep mattresses and different blankets on 10.5+ hour flights, I hope they soon introduce them on shorter flights also as it adds a lot to the comfort and convenience.
  • Service in general is quite consistent as in that they come to take your coat, purses says hello, pre-flight drink. Nothing amazing but not rude or poor like other airlines.
  • The food is horrible so apart from some dayflights to the US I mostly just try to fix my sleep deficit by sleeping the entire flight and not eat anything on board.
  • The internet is ok but not very fast and quite expensive at 25+ euro per flight.
  • Priority boarding on longhaul is usually quite well organized.
  • Lounges: I prefer the lounge at LAX. Great roof terrace with views of LA. No LH or *A lounge near the gate in HKG which is really annoying since the Singapore Airlines lounge is always full.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by KLeM
  • Sometimes they close the front toilets for unknown reasons leaving only two toilets for the entire business class which can cause some jams prior to landing.
I had that too on one of my LH flights to or from YUL this year. They blocked the front business section lavatories for crew use for the entire flight. Very annoying and something I had never experienced before. I wonder if it is one & the same crew/purser team having this unusual habit, but I didn’t write down the flight details, so now it’s too late to check.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
B744 vs. A350 in Business Class - same same?

I presume there is no major difference between the J class experience on the LH A350 vs. the B744? I know, there is the upper deck, but other than that the seats and other hardware is identical. Or isn't it? Is one of the two to be preferred?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I presume there is no major difference between the J class experience on the LH A350 vs. the B744? I know, there is the upper deck, but other than that the seats and other hardware is identical. Or isn't it? Is one of the two to be preferred?
Hatdware is near-identical, uniform product on all LH long-haul planes, but the A350 is much quieter and nicer than the B744.

Sorry to have to say that just after the 50th birthday of the Queen of the Skies.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
B744 has C spread across 3 compartments, each therefore appearing a bit more private. But it has 2-3-2 in the couple of rows in the second compartment on the main deck which is arguably the biggest difference. A359 is much quieter as pointed out.

Otherwise: B744 UD for those who haven’t yet experienced it, B744 for those who prefer 4 engines.

As you are HON, you will know both MUC and FRA but otherwise the MUC transfer would give another vote to the A359.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
Otherwise: B744 UD for those who haven’t yet experienced it, B744 for those who prefer 4 engines.
That‘s another aspect, of course. Unfortunately, the era of „4 engines 4 long haul“ seems to be coming to an end.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A359 business is a bit updated: new screens with Panasonix ex3 IFE and the arm rest stows away differently (makes a big difference to adress the perception that the B/E diamond seat feels narrow).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:09 am

I took a lot of Lufthansa because of work in Germany, and I’ve been very disappointed with the product. Honestly at this stage of the game, I think United has the best J to Europe. I have not flown Swiss, and I had a positive experience once on OS too.

But honestly if you’re redeeming or paying, I would skip LH J and go for UA especially now that a lot of their planes have the actual Polaris seats. Nothing beats those seats, especially not LH’s 2x2x2. Save your miles and dollars.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I took a lot of Lufthansa because of work in Germany, and I’ve been very disappointed with the product. Honestly at this stage of the game, I think United has the best J to Europe. I have not flown Swiss, and I had a positive experience once on OS too.

But honestly if you’re redeeming or paying, I would skip LH J and go for UA especially now that a lot of their planes have the actual Polaris seats. Nothing beats those seats, especially not LH’s 2x2x2. Save your miles and dollars.
I think you finding UA great across the Atlantic may indeed have to do with lack of having tried other airlines. Yes, they have a few Polaris-equipped planes. But the majority are not. Which leaves you with seats that aren't better than LH, on top of that you have terrible FAs (unless you like the back-tapping style of badly groomed overweight mates and gals who make you feel guilty when you have perfectly reasonable request such as second pillow, another drink), horrible food, IFE that has a bias towards brain-dead action movies, no PJ/mattress on long flights like LH... really, I can't see what's great about it.

Try LX. Try OS a bit more often. Try AF 777s with the BEST product.
MichielR likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Try LX. Try OS a bit more often. Try AF 777s with the BEST product.
First off this thread is about Lufthansa. Second off I’ve tried AF many times (not *A) and it’s perfectly passable, but again nothing to get excited about in J. Also their business class seat is nothing cutting edge. The new seat is just another reverse herringbone that many airlines provide.

Getting back to the thread at hand which is about Lufthansa, they definitely have the worst business class seat in star alliance given the 2 x 2 x 2 and not having direct aisle access. Do what you like, I’m only giving my experience. I flew in just about every single airline in star alliance except for Swiss. Nobody’s J lounge compares to Polaris at this point in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.