Wiki Posts
Search

LH/LX/LO/OS/SN/OU economy class food

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by roberino
I was on MAN-MUC in Y on Tuesday night and was truly appalled at the "food" handed out on the flight. It was a two-part plastic container, the smaller part containing 9 (yes, I counted them) micro pretzels (they were too small to be called mini pretzels). The other part was a formless yellow lump of starchy goo and four odd looking little strips of grey rubbery meat covered in damp breadcrumbs. I asked and was told that the yellow goo was potato salad and the strips were Schnitzel-Wienerart.

I tried the Schnitzel first. This was truly nasty, rubbery rap that tasted of salt and nothing else. A knot of gristle did nothing to enhance the experience.

Then followed the potato salad, whose scooping severely strained the integrity of the plastic spoon supplied with it. It was disgusting from the moment it got within 10cm of my face. The odour was overpowering and when it went in my mouth it was clear that a huge number of artificial flavourings had been added to compensate for the lack of natural ones.

I ate the pretzels to take the flavour of the potato salad away, but sadly 9 of them was insufficient for that purpose.

I looked around to see that most of the passengers were in tacit agreement with my assessment and an awful lot of the meal service went in the bin. Seriously, what the hell do LH think they're doing serving this vile filth? I would much rather have nothing at all than this. I know it must be cheap to make, and therefore economical, but what about al those who know book with a budget airline (or tell their friends and family to) because the extra you pay for a flight with a meal included is simply a waste of money?
I had this too on VIE to MUC and had nothing to complain. Nothing special, nothing cruel. And certainly in the range of three to four Euro. The potatoe salad is Bavarian style without mayonnaise. Maybe they should shift to something else in the land of salt and vinegar crisps and fish & chips....
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: Airplanes!
Originally Posted by Wickersley
I've done this flight 27 times this year (with a nod to myflightmemory) & yet to "eat" the food provided

Horrid, messy goo

Although im guessing it has more nutritional value than the Mövenpick ice cream served on LX...
Hey I like the Mövenpick!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ShikaSenbei
Hey I like the Mövenpick!
^

Nothing wrong with it as a desert; however it's served on a regular basis as "lunch" in Y on LX395 (lunchtime flight MAN > ZRH) in the summer months
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by more4less

well, if you are starving probably...
Schnitzel and potato salad looks fairly well composed. The Lidl pretzels they could do without…
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
I've never understood why people need something to eat on a 1-2hr flight..... I guess it's just intended to kill some of the boredom.
+1
period!
i mean, do you have gourmet style stuff in your car everytime you drive to a meeting??
i just pass when those "meals" are being offered, and i do it with a smile...
catering on longhaul is one thing, but in this case ?
give me a brake....

Last edited by sunseeker; Sep 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:23 pm

wow...

i missed something here; the OP complaining is from the UK ;
now, that for sure makes him an expert .
the worst slub i ever had on any flight in my miserable life was way better than what i ever got when paying like 40 gbp in any british restaurant...
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by sunseeker
+1
period!
i mean, do you have gourmet style stuff in your car everytime you drive to a meeting??
i just pass when those "meals" are being offered, and i do it with a smile...
catering on longhaul is one thing, but in this case ?
give me a brake....
Well on the flipside, many people anticipate a meal onboard a plane. Bear in mind that the total travel time is far longer than the 1hr you spend in the air. In the days before the lounges, I would seldom buy any of the overpriced airport food. Instead I would chose to eat what food is on offer onboard, and most of the times a sandwich or two was good enough.

I suppose the typical business traveler may have other priorities, but for a leisure traveler it might be nice to not be forced to spend €10 on a sandwich and cola.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I had this too on VIE to MUC and had nothing to complain. Nothing special, nothing cruel. And certainly in the range of three to four Euro. The potatoe salad is Bavarian style without mayonnaise. Maybe they should shift to something else in the land of salt and vinegar crisps and fish & chips....
It is ways better than the no service / drinks only / homeopathic gummi bear pack I ever get as pinnacle of feeding on shorthaul LH flights. I must have been years since I was offered a sandwich .... so pretzels and goo sound fairly climactic to me.
Originally Posted by Wickersley
Nothing wrong with it as a desert; however it's served on a regular basis as "lunch" in Y on LX395 (lunchtime flight MAN > ZRH) in the summer months
Moevenpick definitely counts as stable food in my realm. Infinitely superior than any LH Y offering ever.
Originally Posted by more4less
In LX they also offer a choice of chicken sandwich that is quite tasty(for being on an aeroplane)
What I hate about the cheese sandwich and the chicken sandwich is that they are smallest common denominator coward offerings "let's only offend vegans" and "let's only offend Buddhists and vegetarians".
Go for real meat please - offend more people to satisfy more!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:04 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The photo in post #17 may be a little misleading if you haven't been served a snack in one of those plastic containers. The portion is not as large as it might seem but what I had in July wasn't anything like "a formless yellow lump of starchy goo and four odd looking little strips of grey rubbery meat covered in damp breadcrumbs" that the OP has encountered.

I'm quite partial to Bavarian potato salad and it was very acceptable on a short flight. It was much better than potato salad and two strips of salmon I had a couple of months earlier. I prefer these snacks in plastic containers to sandwiches also served on flights between the UK and Germany.

Unfortunately you cannot order special meals in Y on flights shorter than 185 minutes or in C on flights less than 75 minutes.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:22 am

what a bold, bold statement...

Originally Posted by weero
Go for real meat please - offend more people to satisfy more!
...and i like it !

Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LH4116
Well on the flipside, many people anticipate a meal onboard a plane. Bear in mind that the total travel time is far longer than the 1hr you spend in the air. In the days before the lounges, I would seldom buy any of the overpriced airport food. Instead I would chose to eat what food is on offer onboard, and most of the times a sandwich or two was good enough.
Just because it somehow has become a standard feature for me doesn't really justify its existence. As you stated you will be at the airport for quite a bit longer than just the flight time and those places are overflowing with opportunities for a snack, normally not priced that much higher than at other public places. And also probably a very small portion of your travel budget.

Most people also do seem to spend some money at the airport. Nobody seems to mind that much spending money on overpriced drinks like Starbuck's coffee but a sandwich is suddenly too big an expense. And please don't tell me everybody on those flights is suddenly hungry..... it's perfectly fine to go a few hours without eating something :-).

I still feel for most it's just a means to be busy with something instead of entertaining yourself on such a short flight. This is one of the things I feel the LCC's got right. Ever noticed how many feel the need for a snack when they have to pay for it? Not that much.

For me just having a drink on a shorthaul would be more than adequate. Spend the money on improving the longhaul service.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by RTW1

Most people also do seem to spend some money at the airport. Nobody seems to mind that much spending money on overpriced drinks like Starbuck's coffee but a sandwich is suddenly too big an expense. And please don't tell me everybody on those flights is suddenly hungry..... it's perfectly fine to go a few hours without eating something :-).
Well having had ARN as my home airport for many years, a triangle sandwich + a 20cl coffee and a small bottle of juice will set you back around €15. That is the equivalent of lunch for 2 people in central Stockholm. Flying through ARN on a regular basis would essentially mean filing for personal bankruptcy if one had to eat there all the time.

Seeing the fact that ARN has set such a bad example, I have always refrained from buying anything from the airport eateries. Most of the times I make sure to eat before heading to the airport, or eat at landside which is usually cheaper at ARN.

But I agree with you, nowadays I don't care that much about what's served onboard since I've most likely already eaten something in the lounge. A drink would be adequate enough on a short haul flight.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by 8420PR
The thought made me hungry - so here is NewbieRunner's photo from the other thread he linked!

I'm sure it costs LH more than a sandwich.
Well, mine looked NOTHING like that! There was no sprig of parsley, the potatoes in mine didn't have much form like the ones in the picture, and the strips of schnitzel in mine looked like they'd been arranged in the tub by catapulting them off the wagging tail of a happy labrador...
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
i missed something here; the OP complaining is from the UK ;
now, that for sure makes him an expert .
the worst slub i ever had on any flight in my miserable life was way better than what i ever got when paying like 40 gbp in any british restaurant...
Now that depends on whether by "British restaurant" you mean a restaurant in Britain or a restaurant serving British food. The latter is almost certainly a good way to accelerate obesity and hardening of the arteries with the minimum level of enjoyment.

Good food is not hard to find in the UK though as long as you head for French, Indian, Chinese, Iranian, Italian, Japanese... Funny how there's never been a trend for German restaurants in the UK though!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..the worst slub i ever had on any flight in my miserable life was way better than what i ever got when paying like 40 gbp in any british restaurant...

I took me a while to get used to the impressively different offerings as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.