LH/LX/LO/OS/SN/OU economy class food

Old Jul 7, 13, 1:37 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 60
LH/LX/LO/OS/SN/OU economy class food

let's start a thread about Lufthansa meals.

please post pictures and videos and add some information.

i'll start with this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prfQ7...7KTMR1grNx73Ow

looking forward your posts

Last edited by Happy1234; Jul 8, 13 at 6:41 am Reason: changed the subject
Happy1234 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 2:16 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Point Place, Wisconsin
Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Posts: 14,500
Chicken or pasta?
Rambuster is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 2:53 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Warsaw / London
Programs: price is a king
Posts: 820
not a bad idea - sometimes they serve something eatable any chance to change the subject into "LH/LX/LO/OS economy class food"? mfk
MichalFKowalik is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 3:10 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BTS/KSC/VIE
Programs: LH
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
Chicken or pasta?
If you sit in the very back of the cabin it's: Pasta or pasta?
shady is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 4:46 am
  #5  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,516
Y Chicken ex-USA:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-B...o/DSCN1312.JPG

Breakfast before landing ex-US:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-x...o/DSCN1318.JPG
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 5:26 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Posts: 1,035
No picture, as I didn't take the meal, but I was amazed by what happend on a flight CPH -> FRA a couple of weeks ago.

They came round and advertised the food as being 'potato salad', I declined as I normally don't eat on short hauls, most people accepted including the person next to me. When I looked it became clear that the salad had meat strips on the top.

A man in the row infront asked what the meat was, he was informed that it was chicken. He didn't look convinced and after a few seconds inspecting be declared it as being pork. The hostess then had to read the ingredients and verified that it was indead pork, and him being muslim of course he could not eat it.

So I was amazed because;
1) If they say potato salad I would expect it to be a vegi suitable dish and contain no meat at all.
2) That they didn't check what the meat was before serving.
3) They the meat they offer is pork.
4) That they didn't check close enough (until pushed) and thought it was chicken!

IMHO when there is no meal choice then Pork is the worst meat you can offer because not only do a lot of people not eat it because of religious reasons, but quite a few others simply don't like pork and won't eat it.
dj_jay_smith is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 6:28 am
  #7  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,516
Since my son is very allergic to egg I usually ask for the ingredient list and get to see the info the caterer provides to the FAs. Its just a A4 sized paper with a cross on the option that was loaded for the module (A-D). It literally is a just a 2-3 word description like 'potato salad with garnish' and no further detail. The cold option usually has a detailed ingredient list on the packaging of the serving itself, the hot option has none whatsoever. So my son usually avoids the hot option on regional flights and gets a selection of leftovers from C or the cold option from the inbound flight (the regional flights get the entire catering loaded from the hub and serve the cold or hot option on the in-/outbound depending on the time of day).
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 6:53 am
  #8  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,135
Fortunately I've only flown shorthaul economy recently but here are some examples:

Potato salad with salmon


Wurstsalat


Gouda & rocket and chicken & mozzarella sandwiches


And this was the highlight...

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 10, 13 at 8:04 am
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 7:48 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BER
Programs: LH FTL
Posts: 250
I've made the experience too that flight attendants are often either quite clueless or badly informed about the ingredients or the way of preparation of the meals. If you respond their standard "chicken or pasta" (or sometimes it's actually chicken or Beef ) by asking about side dishes, sauces, preparation, or whatever to make a decision they often have to open the dish to find out.
Even if they don't provide menus to all passengers it shouldn't be a problem to have these information available.
I read somewhere on FT that the menu for the particular flight could be found somehwere on the IFE in the fligt info section or so, but I have never seen it. But would be a good idea and good service without much effort.
ex-koelner is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 8:26 am
  #10  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,516
On the LX SIN inaugural they handed us a menu in Y but requested us not to read it as something else was loaded
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 8:47 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 14,161
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
No picture, as I didn't take the meal, but I was amazed by what happend on a flight CPH -> FRA a couple of weeks ago.

They came round and advertised the food as being 'potato salad', I declined as I normally don't eat on short hauls, most people accepted including the person next to me. When I looked it became clear that the salad had meat strips on the top.

A man in the row infront asked what the meat was, he was informed that it was chicken. He didn't look convinced and after a few seconds inspecting be declared it as being pork. The hostess then had to read the ingredients and verified that it was indead pork, and him being muslim of course he could not eat it.

So I was amazed because;
1) If they say potato salad I would expect it to be a vegi suitable dish and contain no meat at all.
2) That they didn't check what the meat was before serving.
3) They the meat they offer is pork.
4) That they didn't check close enough (until pushed) and thought it was chicken!

IMHO when there is no meal choice then Pork is the worst meat you can offer because not only do a lot of people not eat it because of religious reasons, but quite a few others simply don't like pork and won't eat it.
Well LH is "lucky" the man didn't eat it and then request 1000 EUR compensation for religious reasons
TRAVELSIG is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 8:50 am
  #12  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,135
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
On the LX SIN inaugural they handed us a menu in Y but requested us not to read it as something else was loaded
Did you obey their instructions? This looks like what you actually had.

In C we had a rather nice starter which wasn't on the menu in addition to/instead of the infamous selection of air-dried meat.
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 8:55 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 14,161
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
in addition to/instead of the infamous selection of air-dried meat.
Perhaps this is a silly question- what other ways of drying meat are there besides air drying? Is there a chemical drying process for example?
TRAVELSIG is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 8:57 am
  #14  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,516
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Did you obey their instructions? This looks like what you actually had.
That is what I had, don't recall what was on the printed menu.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 9:03 am
  #15  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 27,135
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
Perhaps this is a silly question- what other ways of drying meat are there besides air drying? Is there a chemical drying process for example?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dried_meat
also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drying_%28food%29
NewbieRunner is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread