Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: UA1K 2MM and more
Originally Posted by dre_techie
What do people do on regional jets that don't fit standard carry-ons in the US? Take out the important stuff!

It comes out with regular baggage on the belt. I hope your "big issue" is no larger than 17" diagonal screen * 3.

If overzealous agents tell me my carry-on is too heavy, I explain that it's really just a couple of computers and I would take them out anyway (I rarely carry over 10kg anyway). They usually back down. If not, ask them for a plastic bag to put the computers in, then they'll probably back down!
RE: Regional jets.

Honestly? I don't fly them. For example, I've stopped flying UA to SEA from LAX. I now fly Virgin or Alaska.

RE: what I'm carrying? On this trip two 15" Lenovo W520s, a 12" X61, an iPad, 4 TB External drive, couple other drives, cables, etc.

RE: my experience
At LHR, it turned out, BMI did the gate check-in. The woman asked me politely if I'd like to check my computer case. I sad "No, I have computer equipment".

She then gave me the "it's a full flight" line and told me the crew might make me. However, as *G, I got on right away, put my stuff up and no hassles.

Let's see how my departure from MUC on Saturday goes.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dawg1k
RE: what I'm carrying? On this trip two 15" Lenovo W520s, a 12" X61, an iPad, 4 TB External drive, couple other drives, cables, etc.
I know I'm terribly offtopic here (mods, feel free to delete this post), but today, in the era of vmware and cloud infrastructure, why carry *three* computers, *and* a tablet?

Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by hdogan
I know I'm terribly offtopic here (mods, feel free to delete this post), but today, in the era of vmware and cloud infrastructure, why carry *three* computers, *and* a tablet?

1) I am using VMs. I'm just using more than one and doing more complex configurations including clustering of VM hosts which needs at least two.
2) Can't count on "good" internet
3) Can't count on internet at all for some customers (think governments/banks)
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:56 am

To wrap up my trip, I flew MUC to LHR and on to LAX today.

My flight departed MUC at 7:30am from H22. I left the LH Senator lounge (just down the the hall) at 7:00am. Boarding was listed at 7:05.

We all waited until 7:10am and they started boarding in the usual "come on down" fashion. I walked up. Used the automatic reader. Walked by the luggage sizer (no scale to be seen). Had my passport checked and walked on the plane. Bags and computers safely on board.

So no hassle.

One point of interest. Compared to my inbound LHR to MUC flight, this flight was only about 1/2 full. I was in row 4 with an empty seat between myself and the other passenger with the other side being the same way. Business was only 3 rows (an A319) and only had six folks.

So the tip seems to be light loads and early flights are a good combination to above the scale and sizer check. As usual, YMMV.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:01 am

I also find MUC tends to generally be less sticky than FRA, perhaps due to the larger number of international flights connecting at FRA and people coming off carriers which permit larger bags.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Although I've never had to gate-check a bag wouldn't it be worth the risk if for example you had a tight FRA connection from say an airline like UA or AC who have more liberal carry-on policies to an LH intra Europe flight? I presume a gate checked bag will definitely be on the plane with you so it lessens the chance of it not making the transfer from the long-haul flight to the short haul.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Although I've never had to gate-check a bag wouldn't it be worth the risk if for example you had a tight FRA connection from say an airline like UA or AC who have more liberal carry-on policies to an LH intra Europe flight? I presume a gate checked bag will definitely be on the plane with you so it lessens the chance of it not making the transfer from the long-haul flight to the short haul.
Yes, much better chance of no issues.

However, my problem is the airlines won't guarantee my bag or its contents will make it. One of my cases is a Pelican case that's padded, sealed, and locked. However, there's still the risk of it getting "lost" or some of the contents being "removed".

Which when you think about everyone's unwillingness to provide a guarantee (assuming contents are verified beforehand and proper packing is used), puts a big hole in all the security theater that goes on.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
I also find MUC tends to generally be less sticky than FRA, perhaps due to the larger number of international flights connecting at FRA and people coming off carriers which permit larger bags.
Or simply that MUC has more automated boarding gates?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Or simply that MUC has more automated boarding gates?
Could be, but I just don't recall seeing as many people lurking around the gate area, trying to find victims of Baggage Excellence. At FRA sometimes I see a third body appear at the gate area sometimes before boarding, as if they are specifically tasked with the duty. I saw that again last week - someone came up and introduced herself to the other LH staff at the gate, then went to work seeking out victims (not a difficult job at all, in that instance)
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:44 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
I flew VIE-FRA the other day and I wish they had enforced the NEK hand-luggage rules. Some Y pax had two large trolleys each of which exceeded to allowed luggage size and then started complaining that they could not find space for their stuff but were also not willing to put one bug under the seat in front of them.

The 8 kg wight limit is a pain though and does not make much sense IMHO.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I'm planning on taking a soft leather bag with the following dimensions: 55x24x31 cm with me as hand luggage on a LH long-haul flight (ex-FRA). It's a standard LV Keepall bag and I never had any problems with it on a plane. The 8 kg rule prevents me from making it look full, so do you think I will have a problem with it? (I know that the dimensions as specified by LH are 55x40x20), but the overall volume of my bag is well within that limit).

Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, Eurobonus silver BA bronze Sixt Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by JohnRain
I'm planning on taking a soft leather bag with the following dimensions: 55x24x31 cm with me as hand luggage on a LH long-haul flight (ex-FRA). It's a standard LV Keepall bag and I never had any problems with it on a plane. The 8 kg rule prevents me from making it look full, so do you think I will have a problem with it? (I know that the dimensions as specified by LH are 55x40x20), but the overall volume of my bag is well within that limit).

Thanks
Compress it if asked. It will fit the limit
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Thanks for your reply Rustscheff, I was thinking along the same lines.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is a lot of BS. I have flown LH a few times in the past year (TATL and otherwise) and not once did anyone speak to me about my 22"x14"x8" carryon or my expanded laptop briefcase which goes on as well. The larger bag easily weights 40-50 lbs. Both fit easily in the overhead with room to spare and have never seen the bins close to full in business class. Nor have I ever had one of my bags accidentally fall out of the overhead in 30+ years of travel.

LH needs to read the riot act to the unions. Paid business class customers will not tolerate this nonsense.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

As for "why don't you check luggage":

- I hate waiting for luggage. I want to be off the plane and going.
- I don't trust airlines not to lose my luggage.
- I don't trust luggage handlers not to steal from my luggage.

Anyways, 8 kilos isn't as draconian as you think it is... if you know what you're doing.
Agree with all of that except for the 8 kilos part. I often need 20k for a weeklong trip. And I am happy to lift it into the overhead bin, so no backstrain for the FAs.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This is a lot of BS. I have flown LH a few times in the past year (TATL and otherwise) and not once did anyone speak to me about my 22"x14"x8" carryon or my expanded laptop briefcase which goes on as well. The larger bag easily weights 40-50 lbs. Both fit easily in the overhead with room to spare and have never seen the bins close to full in business class. Nor have I ever had one of my bags accidentally fall out of the overhead in 30+ years of travel.

LH needs to read the riot act to the unions. Paid business class customers will not tolerate this nonsense.
It is not nonsense.

LH Purser was flagging people left and right during boarding of one flight ex-EWR TATL on a A346.

I was in F, so ignored her and boarded after communicating this to another FA.

Further, if you are SEN or *G flying in Y, you can forget about taking a rollerboard on at CPH when flying LH metal...the FM there is cut-throat and singles out American-looking pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.