Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kilton
So is this rule supposed to be only for NEK flights? Or all LH flights?
If you are referring to the 8kg limit it applies to all LH flights. You can check LH's carry-on baggage guide here.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:50 am

Sigh, thanks. :-)
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:12 am

Sigh, thanks. :-)
It has been enforced at some airports long before NEK. At ORD it was always amusing to see the ground staff pull out the scales at boarding and target those giant overstuffed, oversized carry on which some people insist on bringing on board. I have seen many checked over the years and many disputes because people didn't realise that there are limits on weight outside the US.

I suspect that most of those bags selected were not just over 8kg, but that they were well over 8kg and possibly over 20kg (or more)
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My data point from June:

- no checks at checkin at HKG, though this was at the SkyPier, so run by CX
- no checks at the gate in ZRH in a NEK flight (my reaction about NEK: "These seats are like VX slimline Recaros without the IFE. What is the big deal?" )
- no checks at the FCT

This was with a duffel bag that was within size limits and a laptop backpack. Both items were weighed before I left home (since I spent 3 weeks traveling around the world out of carryon luggage). And the reason I weighed is I can confirm what exbayern said- my luggage has been weighed at checkin before (PDX).
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
It has been enforced at some airports long before NEK. At ORD it was always amusing to see the ground staff pull out the scales at boarding and target those giant overstuffed, oversized carry on which some people insist on bringing on board. I have seen many checked over the years and many disputes because people didn't realise that there are limits on weight outside the US.
I don't fly much and my next LH flight will be an F award. Surely there will be enough bin space in F class -- so it's disappointing that this applies there as well.

When they're checking-in bags at the gate, is it the kind of check where you get it back as soon as you deboard?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

I don't fly much and my next LH flight will be an F award. Surely there will be enough bin space in F class -- so it's disappointing that this applies there as well.
First Class passengers can take two carry-on bags each weighing up to 8kg.

If you need to carry more than that you can always check your bags. They will attach a tag like this to ensure your bags are loaded in a separate compartment to be loaded last and unloaded first.

Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:29 am

When they're checking-in bags at the gate, is it the kind of check where you get it back as soon as you deboard?
Generally from US stations they tend to 'overlook' those flying in C and F, but as noted by someone recently that is not always the case. And if you have a connecting flight intra-Europe, expect to be checked. I noted earlier this week a C passenger had to gate check his bag at MUC.

Then again, I also flew F long haul in the past two weeks and the passenger in front of me had four carry on bags.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
First Class passengers can take two carry-on bags each weighing up to 8kg.

If you need to carry more than that you can always check your bags. They will attach a tag like this to ensure your bags are loaded in a separate compartment to be loaded last and unloaded first.

Though i already had 3 flights this year where my HON labeled fc-luggage was among the last bags to come out...
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
Though i already had 3 flights this year where my HON labeled fc-luggage was among the last bags to come out...
That's because baggage handlers knew you were only SEN.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
That's because baggage handlers knew you were only SEN.
Mine have consistently coming out first...even without HON tags!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
The 'approved cabin baggage' tags (ugly LH orange for Y, white with red/blue stripe for C/F) very common in India (where you need a tag to get it stamped in triplicate by security ) have started popping up at various stations. I've now seen them in TXL, IAD & DTW. It seems they are issued/awarded if the customer wins a discussion at checkin.

So if you happen to see a stash (usually on the C/F checkin desk at indian stations) keep some for future use
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 'approved cabin baggage' tags (ugly LH orange for Y, white with red/blue stripe for C/F) very common in India
None being used in BOM for the past 2 months...
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Hmm... so the stamping has been stopped?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Hmm... so the stamping has been stopped?
Not quite - we are still issued the "standard" (Y) yellow/white LH paper tags in all classes of travel, which are then stamped by the CISF *once*.

OT: A few days ago there weren't any baggage carts/trolleys for *anyone* upon landing a LH 744 at BOM!

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Aug 1, 2011 at 1:55 am
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Mine have consistently coming out first...even without HON tags!
But they must have *A priority tags attached.

At NRT they use separate carousels for priority and non-priority bags. Seems to defeat the object of priority tags...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.