Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
BA has similar weight restrictions for their overhead bins.

I guess for most people here the weight will be the issue, not the size. If they'd be a bit more generous there I would be happy with the enforcement of the rules. But if they really insist on 8kg things will become difficult for everyone.
The size is the problem on full flights. I always wonder that the weight rules are different on many airlines but with the same planes.
Yes I hate it when I board a little bit later and my hand-luggage has no space any more, because everybody brought a kitchen sink.
Like my BA flight yesterday. Enjoyed Bus-Boarding in LHR, had the 2nd Bus. No space for my luggage (sitting in Row 1).

For me the size limits are OK and can be enforced (One bag+ Laptop/Handbag).
The 2nd piece for Business-Classs passengers.
But why the weight?

The former DBA once took away my trolley because it was too heavy. I never flew with that airline again - even when they were much cheaper.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
BA has similar weight restrictions for their overhead bins.

I guess for most people here the weight will be the issue, not the size. If they'd be a bit more generous there I would be happy with the enforcement of the rules. But if they really insist on 8kg things will become difficult for everyone.
Agree with this..LH needs to take the lead in some areas atleast in favour of the customer. I atleast usually find them making policies or changes and then trying to sell them as it was based on ''customer demand and feedback ''.. Many threads here on the NEK cabin, interviews given by top management etc prove this attitude of theirs..
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:47 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
The training schedule for the passenger cattle poised to go:
squeeze more pax into the cabin -> reduce hand luggage "safety" & "think of the children" -> be more strict with check-in luggage "reduce your carbon footprint" & "think of the children" -> charge a medium obscene amount for extra check in luggage -> check a slightly less obscene amount for any checked luggage -> lie about how much passengers like the new rules and the narrow stools -> use the overhead space for more passengers....

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
That´s probably what the statement intended to say, but I clearly prefer my interpretation. ..
I used to think that LH hires cheap imbeciles abroad who write they unintelligible and wrong English and German ... but today I am entirely convinced that the immature and airy nature of the phrasing is part of the plan. It allows the airline and the employees to apply the rules or what they want to understand as the rules wantonly according to their needs.

We had this is the FF privileges, lounge access etc etc etc. It's a malicious scheme that helps them to lower their legal cross section .
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For sake of the 'LH is cr@p I'll fly others instead' argument
I agree but for very different reasons. European air travel is so unspeakably bad because there is no competition whatsoever. Flag carriers hold the sway of transport over their serfs and do pretty much whatever they want. It manifests in criminal airlines, expensive and extremely incapable airports, Orwellian security checks, decrepit terminals.

So the quote is probably more a sedition against the injustice imposed than a practical advice on how to escape the situation.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by weero
I agree but for very different reasons. [bEuropean air travel is so unspeakably bad because there is no competition whatsoever. Flag carriers hold the sway of transport over their serfs and do pretty much whatever they want. It manifests in criminal airlines, expensive and extremely incapable airports, Orwellian security checks, decrepit terminals.
Havn't been back to the States for a while, have you?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I´d agree that one carry-on bag/rollaboard and 1 personal item (as in a laptop bag only containing the laptop) would be reasonable.

I´m also fine with enforcing the size restrictions of the carry-on baggage, but the 8kg limit is ridiculous, especially if the laptop doesn´t count as a "personal item".

What really bugs me is:

- that LH doesn´t offer priority boarding on intra-European flights and thus C pax and status pax have to fear to not find any space for their carry-on
- that these third-party "service agents" enforcing the limits are likely to be a real pain

+1. 8Kg for my wheeled laptop bag is nothing with some stuff inside. 12kg would work much better.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Lack
Havn't been back to the States for a while, have you?
It's 10 days for me.

And for you?

Seriously: I find air travel in the US infinitely more pleasant than the total crap we get thrown into our faces in Europe. Everything sans the age of the FAs is worse in Europe. From security over the stinkin' busses, the tiny seats yikes.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by weero
It's 10 days for me.

And for you?

Seriously: I find air travel in the US infinitely more pleasant than the total crap we get thrown into our faces in Europe. Everything sans the age of the FAs is worse in Europe. From security over the stinkin' busses, the tiny seats yikes.
Just got back. While I do enjoy the domestic F seating, I find even LH has better blankets/pillows in Y then UA, immigration and customs is a breeze, I can keep my belt and shoes on going through security and keep the remains of my diginity without nude-o-scopes or rubdowns. Being able to take a shower and have breakfast in the lounge beats cheese and crackers too.
I'll take a bus ride over it anyday.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:05 pm

Just got back. While I do enjoy the domestic F seating, I find even LH has better blankets/pillows in Y then UA, immigration and customs is a breeze, I can keep my belt and shoes on going through security and keep the remains of my diginity without nude-o-scopes or rubdowns. Being able to take a shower and have breakfast in the lounge beats cheese and crackers too.
I'll take a bus ride over it anyday.
Immigration is an insult to the rest of the world (even though Schengen works hard becoming the third Soviet Union in that respect) ... but we talked about US domestic air travel.

While the shoe circus rituals are even dumber than in Europe (I always have to hand over the belt in Europe too), I never have to have my hard drives sniffed and the computer pad wiped, so I prefer the clarity of the US security scam.

I also like the Internet access in the lounges and the much larger seats the airlines usually offer.

Having said that ... US air travel is terrible, it is just a lesser abomination than the European counterpart.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: SK*D; Accor & Starwood Plat
To come back on the subject, there was one of this third party guy at my gate last week, flying from FRA to OSL. As we were waiting for some passengers needing assistance to be boarded, I had a talk with him and he said that they are in a first phase where the inventory which kind of bags passengers take with them in cabin.

So he took note of how many bags and which type of bags every pax had, but he did not weight them or look whether the person had status or was flying C. Which he could not have guessed, as some others have mentionned, the boarding was a big mess as all got to board at the same time.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Originally Posted by In the Wood
he said that they are in a first phase where the inventory which kind of bags passengers take with them in cabin..
So they actually change the inside of the plane first and do then wonder what people take onboard. Along the lines "we cram more people in the plane, put away the warderobe and than start wondering what actually our passengers (the strange persons who actually pay for this) do take on board?
Nasty people might say that this is not surprising as that is also the way Lufti runs their IT systems...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:27 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
I bet you will change your mind when you will receive one of these 15kg suitcase on your head.
It is so "me, myself and I"
I want to be on the plane first so that I can put all my trolleys and bag up there, oh and if one fall on the young lady who cares, not my responsibility. And if I bash the neighbour's head with my bag, who cares, I won't excuse myself.

People, get civilised. Limit your bag to 8kg, and stop carrying your house with you when travelling!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
I bet you will change your mind when you will receive one of these 15kg suitcase on your head.
Yeah, and preach only pillow allowance as carry on.

People, get civilised. Limit your bag to 8kg, and stop carrying your house with you when travelling!
You must have a very Zen like house, or maybe just wear bikini year round.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:00 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Yeah, and preach only pillow allowance as carry on.

You must have a very Zen like house, or maybe just wear bikini year round.
With 7kg I can put a bit more in my bag, which is enough for short trips. Does your pillow weighs 7kg ?
For longer periods, checking-in a suitcase is easy, I don't have to drag it accross the airport and I don't create a chaos at security and on the plane. Just mind other people, you are not alone in the world !
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Originally Posted by oliver2002
1) If they passenger puts a block of lead the size of 55x40x20cm in the overhead and it falls on the aisle seat passenger snapping his/her head when the bin gives, LH has a problem, not the passenger who put the luggage up there. Hence the weight restriction.
A block of lead that size would weigh about 500 kg, so it's unlikely to be lifted up into the overhead bins by the average non-bionic human v1.0.

I understand the point you're making though, but enforcement of 8 kg only is going to be hugely problematic. It's just not remotely enough. I realize most airlines have similar restrictions, but it is seldom, if ever, enforced. Only Transavia made me pare down my carry-on the 7 kg once and I was shocked at how little I could take compared to my usual carry-on contents. I suppose some limit is warranted (BA is a pragmatic compromise I am happy with), but 8 kg won't do it for me, and I'll avoid airlines that enforce it if I can.

Interestingly the US airlines don't seem to have weight restrictions despite the litigation-prone environment.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:05 am

Thumbs up

With 7kg I can put a bit more in my bag, which is enough for short trips. Does your pillow weighs 7kg ?
Regular carry-on weights at least 3kg. Laptop + power brick another 2,5kg. Leaves a whole lot of 1,5kg.

For longer periods, checking-in a suitcase is easy, I don't have to drag it accross the airport and I don't create a chaos at security and on the plane. Just mind other people, you are not alone in the world !
I don't know what you pack, but my carry-on is pretty plain and doesn't create a chaos at security - just goes through the scanner with laptop pulled out.
I fail to see the point how additional weight creates any sort of chaos - other then lifting overhead - but then again, if people really feel like they have to "drag it" then they might as well have a problem with 7-8kg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.