Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Business class passengers on Lufthansa are allowed to bring two pieces of carryon baggage and one personal item:

https://www.lufthansa.com/gr/en/carry-on-baggage

How your got into business class (award, revenue, etc) doesn't matter.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:18 am

Lufthansa luggage policy

Good afternoon,
Any recent experience with Lufthansa luggage policy?
I've started buying Lufthansa tickets again. I was used to Turkish Airlines, which is very relaxed when it comes to hand luggage. My problem was actually that they are too relaxed as by allowing huge pieces of luggage onboard, then they force passengers with backpacks or small suitcases to move their own in order to make space to suitcases that should be checked in.
What's the experience with Lufthansa? I'm mainly referring to intra-European flights or flights from Europe to Central Asia/Middle East (Turkey, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Israel, etc)
Many thanks
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:29 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by stegio80
Good afternoon,
Any recent experience with Lufthansa luggage policy?
I've started buying Lufthansa tickets again. I was used to Turkish Airlines, which is very relaxed when it comes to hand luggage. My problem was actually that they are too relaxed as by allowing huge pieces of luggage onboard, then they force passengers with backpacks or small suitcases to move their own in order to make space to suitcases that should be checked in.
What's the experience with Lufthansa? I'm mainly referring to intra-European flights or flights from Europe to Central Asia/Middle East (Turkey, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Israel, etc)
Many thanks
Lufthansa is more or less the same. They are more strict with hand luggage but still not strict enough (and even if they were, there just isn't enough space in the bins ever since they started motivating people to use carryons by charging for checked bags).

You will be expected to reduce your legroom so people can bring their kitchen sink on board. The solution is to pack your backpack into an otherwise empty carry on bag that won't fit under your seat. Become part of the problem, it's rewarding.
YuropFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by the810
Lufthansa is more or less the same. They are more strict with hand luggage but still not strict enough (and even if they were, there just isn't enough space in the bins ever since they started motivating people to use carryons by charging for checked bags).

You will be expected to reduce your legroom so people can bring their kitchen sink on board. The solution is to pack your backpack into an otherwise empty carry on bag that won't fit under your seat. Become part of the problem, it's rewarding.
Hahaha you're right. I usually bring a second (small) backpack that I can place in the seat in front of me so that they can force to travel with a big backpack between my legs for four or five hours.
I must say that usually Turkish Airlines uses bigger planes so I have never seen them asking to do that.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Hand luggage

I’m flying business so I am allowed 2 pieces each 8 kg
How strict are they on weight. I will be having assistance (NOT looking for help getting bag to the locker as my companion will do that).
For ease of movement for me beyond the airport I would prefer to bring one bag but it may be nearer 8.5-9 kg. Will this be an issue?
Im connecting from the UK, will items be re weighed at FRA
Old Feb 10, 2024, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
No, issue in J they would only weigh it if it was obviously overweight & or oversize
thegreatmrsj likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by chris63
No, issue in J they would only weigh it if it was obviously overweight & or oversize
Thanks. It’s well within size a standard small wheelie
That’s reassuring I could have split to two but then would have had other issues moving around
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
Thanks. It’s well within size a standard small wheelie
That’s reassuring I could have split to two but then would have had other issues moving around
Welcome, relax & enjoy your flights
thegreatmrsj likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 10:08 am

Question Using TravelPro as Carry On

Hello, I have a travelpro carry on that is 23 in. x 14.5 in. x 9.5 in, which is bigger than what's allowed. Will I be able to board with it or should I start looking for a different bag?
Old Apr 5, 2024, 1:30 pm

Programs: M&M Senator
Originally Posted by worriedfun
Hello, I have a travelpro carry on that is 23 in. x 14.5 in. x 9.5 in, which is bigger than what's allowed. Will I be able to board with it or should I start looking for a different bag?
Sounds like you are describing a two wheeler Travel Pro, which is what I have.

I have taken that on board a few times when travelling in business class, however I should add that it was on TATL connecting onward in MUC or FRA
Old Apr 5, 2024, 1:51 pm

mines is a 4 wheeler, hardside. and my flight will be a LAX-MUC.
I took a standard 22" Samsonite on Hong Kong Airlines once and that one didn't fit in the overhead bin,=. Luckily the FA's didn't make too big of a deal since it was a pretty empty flight, but I've head Lufthansa will check bags at the gate and force people to pay to check them in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.