Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA, LH
Two LH flights yesterday (ZRH-FRA and FRA-EDI) emphasised for me that rules need to be enforced more tightly or tightened if necessary. Scrum to board both flights, esp FRA-EDI where we were bussed to the apron. Telling factor was pax pushing hardest to get to the front were those with copious cabin baggage.

Passengers don’t have confidence that there will be overhead bin space for their items unless they push to the front. And with good reason - the overhead bins were full to the brim on both flights. so the whole boarding experience becomes more stressful and leads to delays. The ZRH-FRA flight was delayed by a few minutes to sort bag storage. On the FRA-EDI flight there was insufficient bin space in the business class cabin for every C passenger, and a steward had to shift bags and find space at the front for the last passengers.

Most telling from the FRA-EDI flight was that just 4 of the 16 C passengers took up around two-thirds of available bin space in the business class section. They all had a case and additional pretty large bag.

Yet bizarrely the cabin crew, esp on the FRA-EDI flight, were more concerned about smaller bags being placed on the floor than in the larger cases. Why should passengers with relatively modest bags be expected to sacrifice both bin space and already limited leg room for them under the seat in front in order to allow priority for the large cases?

I don’t have a problem with people arguing they should be able to bring a case and added bag into the cabin. But, if they do, at least have the decency to place one of those items under the seat in front of them (and move to the bin only after boarding is completed if space is still available).
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Much to my surprise there was zero enforcement at LHR and FRA for my flights last weekend. I took my usual 22 rollaboard plus an overstuffed Swiss backback. Was flying biz class. Security was also a breeze which is not always the case
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by cammyloon

Most telling from the FRA-EDI flight was that just 4 of the 16 C passengers took up around two-thirds of available bin space in the business class section. They all had a case and additional pretty large bag.

Well, C-class hand luggage allowance is two bags plus personal item, so it seems to have been within the rules - whether the rule makes sense, is a different story
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: BA, LH
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
Well, C-class hand luggage allowance is two bags plus personal item, so it seems to have been within the rules - whether the rule makes sense, is a different story
Yes, and like I said, either the rules need to be enforced more tightly - or the rules themselves need to be tightened if necessary. For instance, restricting carry on bags allowed or allowing only one bag/case in overhead bins.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:01 pm
KLR

Programs: AA Plat for life, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Carry on bag allowed on Lufthansa

Please excuse me if this has been answered before, I did a search & couldn’t find anything. We will be flying LH business class from EWR-MUC and back and would like to go with carry on bags only. Will our US allowable sized bags be allowed? They are the Away bigger carry on, 22.7” x 14.7” x 9.6”, we’ll have 1 each. Thanks very much
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by KLR
Please excuse me if this has been answered before, I did a search & couldn’t find anything. We will be flying LH business class from EWR-MUC and back and would like to go with carry on bags only. Will our US allowable sized bags be allowed? They are the Away bigger carry on, 22.7” x 14.7” x 9.6”, we’ll have 1 each. Thanks very much
https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/carry-on-baggage
Old Jan 9, 2023, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
per the rules NO, they are to big. In reality you should be fine, I have never seen this enforced in business class on this route.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by KLR
The huge carry-ons that Americans normally travel with are far too big for European carriers. But considering you're flying business, I don't think there should be any problem, however they may not fit into small A220/319/320/321 overhead bins.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:16 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
The huge carry-ons that Americans normally travel with are far too big for European carriers.
Which is a miracle to me, as the baggage allowance is much more generous on many European airlines.

United allows one trolley in business class and one personal item (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../carry-on.html), LH allows two trolleys plus personal item, and each of the trolleys can be slightly bigger than what UA allows.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Both wife and I are *G. Flying TATL in J, connecting in FRA though our intra-European flight is in coach. We both will have two carry ons- small rolling bags with backpacks. Because we are in coach, it is unclear to us whether we'll be able to bring both on board with us for the second leg (A320 if that is relevant at all). Thx.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: LH SEN *
No worries, shouldn't be an issue.
gold23 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by andywaw
No worries, shouldn't be an issue.
Will they weigh these bags at the gate?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Unless the backpacks are huge and look heavy, I think it's unlikely. I've seen people bringing backpacks and rollerbags on board without problems.
Disclaimer: No one can guarantee though that the staff at your gate will be friendly.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 6:21 am

Programs: AC E75K
Flew ZRH-BER a couple weeks ago, and LX was aggressively making people check their carry-on for being over 8kg or because their second item was perceived as too big. They claimed the flight was completely full so this was necessary.

After we finished boarding, it became clear the carry-on bins were at most 60% full, the emptiest I've encountered on any flight in recent memory.

Now I'm at the gate for an LH flight for BER-FRA, and they're doing the same. This must be the result of some sort of directive from up high?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
The huge carry-ons that Americans normally travel with are far too big for European carriers. But considering you're flying business, I don't think there should be any problem, however they may not fit into small A220/319/320/321 overhead bins.
IME this is false. I have never once had a problem fitting my 22" rollaboard in any Euro A319/320/321 bin.

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Which is a miracle to me, as the baggage allowance is much more generous on many European airlines.

United allows one trolley in business class and one personal item (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../carry-on.html), LH allows two trolleys plus personal item, and each of the trolleys can be slightly bigger than what UA allows.
Technically that may be true though US airlines generally do not enforce a weight limit for carry-on bags. 8kg is completely unacceptable, even my personal item that hold my laptop always exceeds 8kg.
jd2000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.