Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
..SEN traveling on A380 F SFO-FRA. While roller board size is easily within limit, was made to unpack anything above 8kg into second carry on bag or had to check-in.
Did the gate dragons know if you had an ongoing flight aboard the wonderful realm of NEK?

If now ... what is the luggage excellence good for on a 380?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

SEN traveling on A380 F SFO-FRA. While roller board size is easily within limit, was made to unpack anything above 8kg into second carry on bag or had to check-in.
Wow!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:22 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
SEN traveling on A380 F SFO-FRA. While roller board size is easily within limit, was made to unpack anything above 8kg into second carry on bag or had to check-in.
Because it's dangerous if it fell out of the personal locker provided for each F pax.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:42 pm

Just another data point:

Wow. I was just thinking yesterday that I rarely see them checking lately even on my very full flights!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
same here, i hardly ever saw them enforcing the "restricted" baggage rule. it's a main annoyance that people are allowed to take (more than once piece of) oversize baggage on board
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:47 am

Just another data point:

Really makes you want to cx the ticket and send LH HQ a printout of BA policy along with their BPs...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Lack
Really makes you want to cx the ticket and send LH HQ a printout of BA policy along with their BPs...
LH HQ = the guy in Burma who gets paid to assemble the generic excuses on behalf of LH management ?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:42 am

Strict checks today at ATH, first time for me that LH checked if passengers comply with carry-on luggage regulations.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by fivesixseven
Strict checks today at ATH, first time for me that LH checked if passengers comply with carry-on luggage regulations.
After my surprised post yesterday, I met the luggage guard at the G gates at MUC.

He was specifically scouting out passengers with a roll aboard topped by another bag (computer or otherwise), and 'caught' someone with a roll aboard topped by a laptop case who was sitting in the exit row.

I rarely take a roll aboard but yesterday did have a half full Travelite Delite. The nature of that bag makes it look bulgy when half empty, so I took my handbag off the top and put it onto my shoulder. I was not stopped.

Again, the magic combination appeared to be roll aboard + second bag, pulled together.

On another flight yesterday, I was helping a passenger get her bag out of the overhead. She thanked me and said 'I have three more up there'.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by djohannw
Why are you worried about them? There is always a Flight Manager working that flight who will set those third party agents straight when you are within your contractual limit. In fact, I would probably flatly refuse even to talk to them at all when they approach me in the gate area (something I have heard they do even before checkin starts)
Unfortunately, it's the *#@$ FM at CPH who has caught me 2 years in a row, even *before* NEK!

I didn't fly last year, but I'm sure she's ready this year...

Especially with all compartments *empty*, closets empty, *after* discussing with the lead FA that there was no space and it had to be checked - due to the fact that most of the pax were the cheap day/weekend-trippers from Scandinavia who bring hardly any handluggage.

Oh well, rules are rules...but I almost missed my international connection due to having to wait at the baggage carousel at FRA!

Originally Posted by demiurg
Consistent and reasonable hand luggage rules are a good idea, but the 8kg rule is not helpful. A packed 55x40x20 (or so) trolley will almost certainly weigh more than this. LH/LX have tried to enforce the 8kg limit only a few times in the past on my longhaul trips in C, but sometimes they do. I find BA's weight rule "you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead locker unaided" much more reasonable. At least 50% of my long haul trips are currently with BA, mostly because of the flat beds, but the clearer hand luggage rules are clearly a bonus.
Yes, I'm now looking at (real) flat beds in J/F, versus LH's old monstrosities...

Further, the hand luggage allowance is even more important to me, and BA's appear very rational. Although I have been outraged at the sizer used at LHR for Jet (9w) and Kingfisher (IT) flights to India in the past, even when flying J/F, I think that it might be possible to transit LHR, as I could also visit friends and family there...

Originally Posted by Key8
So they actually change the inside of the plane first and do then wonder what people take onboard. Along the lines "we cram more people in the plane, put away the warderobe and than start wondering what actually our passengers (the strange persons who actually pay for this) do take on board?
Nasty people might say that this is not surprising as that is also the way Lufti runs their IT systems...
^

Yeah, and preach only pillow allowance as carry on.

You must have a very Zen like house, or maybe just wear bikini year round.
+1

Originally Posted by oliver2002

The baggage excellence has been in place for more than 3 years. I famously remember some LH staff standing near immigration in MAA with a simple weighing scale like this:
Well, those are definitely *not* calibrated, and I would call them on that specific fact.

However, on the plus side, most of these spring scales are either manufactured or manipulated in India to show a lesser weight, in order to cheat customers...

Further, the ones LH uses in BOM are actually 2 kgs overweight, and I have actually joked with the CI (outsourced) representative to provide me with their calibration certificate, as most US airports are governed by their local state's departments of weights and measures...

Originally Posted by nissan720
This is one reason I am not looking forward to my travels inside Europe in June.
Same.

Originally Posted by FriendlyConfines
Prawilno! A cogent response, accurately summing up what many of us think.
+1

Originally Posted by FriendlyConfines
Have had the same reaction from the FAs I've spoken to. However, judging by the response to my first formal written remarks (wouldn't call my message a complaint, rather an observation, politely but plain-spokenly expressed), LH management has wrapped itself around the NEK in a position not even found in the Kama Sutra.
FA's on my CPH-FRA also were of the same opinion...

Originally Posted by weaverjf
This is starting to scare me. I have a flight from BHX to FRA next month and I need to bring my work laptop with me. The laptop itself weighs 4KG without the power brick. I also have a camera bag which should be small enough to be considered my "small bag". I have a feeling I'm going to have to print out the rules so that I can point out the small bag section. They also mention in there to pull out and carry any valuable such as your laptop/etc if the bag needs to go into the hold. If my laptop and power brick are 75% of the weight, what is the point?

Or am I better off just switching my flight to something non-Lufthansa?
Exactly - options have to be explored.

Delta/KL are looking good for a TATL over to AMS and then out to another frequented European destination. Just wondering when DL will be retrofitting it's flat beds on their A330's...

Just another data point:

OMG - amazing!

Let's start doing this guys!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Let's start doing this guys!
Sadly, LH is the only one stop airline from my closes airport (next one being 4h away by car on a good day), so I have to suffer it out...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I always think that airlines should provide suitcases/handluggage to pax because of their weird measurements that can be changed. It was fortunate for me to have bought a 26" instead of a 28" suitcase before LH imposed limits on dimensions for checked baggage.

It used to be that as long as it doesn't weigh over 20kg then it's ok, now you need make sure each piece is less than 23 kg and not over certain dimension.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
..Well, those are definitely *not* calibrated, and I would call them on that specific fact..
I always bring a calibrated and certified electronic one.

Had a short argument with an SQ agent the other day who wanted to see my light hand luggage which ran at 7.2kg (I had reading material in it, so I did not oppose the weighing). And after me insisting that it must be less than 7 put it on another scale which corroborated this.

Shows how inaccurate those large check-in luggage scales are ZRH is actually using, they are not meant to weigh hand luggage it seems.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:27 am

Hello,

So is this rule supposed to be only for NEK flights? Or all LH flights?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:19 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
In AMS at the gate:

automated recording, because your flight is full we ask you to stow items under the seat in front of you

> makes sense if the flight is really full or if the plane is small <avro>
but they play this before boarding on every flight i took

no enforcing though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.