Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by loganleelamson
Wow, that strict. Eek.

Anyone have experience with baggage handling at KIX? I'm planning on going to Universal Studios Japan that day and don't want to waste any time, but I mean I don't think it is really worth spending money on new small bags.
Over the last three years of flying to/from KIX, I have yet to witness a NH agent enforcing one-bag-only rule. As long as it does not look too heavy/big, you should be fine. A few times I had a carry-on that weighted 16 kg and it was fine (now did I lift it to store it in the bin...)
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by olm022
Over the last three years of flying to/from KIX, I have yet to witness a NH agent enforcing one-bag-only rule. As long as it does not look too heavy/big, you should be fine. A few times I had a carry-on that weighted 16 kg and it was fine (now did I lift it to store it in the bin...)
It seems like LH seems more strict about this rule in FRA when I have a layover. Just want the process to be as streamlined as possible.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Do they check the size and weight of your carry on at the gate for 1st class at SFO? I'm flying 1st class next month from SFO to MUC. Starting the flight at PDX where I check in with United. My carry on is the max size that United will allow (22") but too large for Lufthansa. I didn't have any problems in July out of DEN. They checked size of carry on for economy at the gate but not 1st and business class.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Uh Clem
Do they check the size and weight of your carry on at the gate for 1st class at SFO? I'm flying 1st class next month from SFO to MUC. Starting the flight at PDX where I check in with United. My carry on is the max size that United will allow (22") but too large for Lufthansa. I didn't have any problems in July out of DEN. They checked size of carry on for economy at the gate but not 1st and business class.
I recall someone in this thread reported almost being denied (or was denied) flying from SFO in F. That seems consistent with how things are handled for NEK flights.

ORD has long weighed and measured Economy bags at the gate, but overlooked borderline C and F bags. I haven't flown LH from ORD this year so cannot comment how they handle things now.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by exbayern
I recall someone in this thread reported almost being denied (or was denied) flying from SFO in F. That seems consistent with how things are handled for NEK flights.

ORD has long weighed and measured Economy bags at the gate, but overlooked borderline C and F bags. I haven't flown LH from ORD this year so cannot comment how they handle things now.
I just called Lufthansa and the agent quoted me 18lbs weight and 22"x15"x8" for size for 1st class international which is slightly larger than their mm specs of 55x40x20. If they have a sizer in inches I'll barely fit. If they have a sizer in mm, I won't fit. When I flew out of DEN in July I got in the wrong line and was told that my carry on was too large. An agent recognized me and ran over to the agent who was taking my bag and said "He's ok, he's in 1st class". She then put me in the correct boarding line where they didn't use a sizer for carry on luggage.

Last edited by Uh Clem; Oct 16, 2011 at 11:30 am
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Yesterday, connecting in FRA from SFO in F to NEK, I was faced with the baggage excellence program for the first time.

I thought that I had escaped the GA's eye prior to boarding, but was snagged as I went through the turnstile. He saw my F ticket holder, and asked to see my BP; noting that I had flown into FRA in F, and am HON, he said "ok, I'll a bag tag on your case, and if you can find a place, have the FA give this back to me." I of course found a place for my bag.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:41 am

What are the thoughts on this bag:

http://www.brookstone.com/dash-rolli...header-576272p

It meets all requirements except it is about .13" too deep. Anyone have first hand experience?

Through Chase Rewards Mall they have 20% off every item in Brookstone and get 6pts/$ so it is a pretty good deal.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Looks like the wheels will give you trouble when stowing it in the overhead, the gate should leave you alone...
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:52 pm

At least 20 bags were pulled prior to boarding and gate checked on my flight from FRA today.

And you know what? BRAVO! All of them were insanely large, and several passengers had not 2, not 3, but 4 bags with them. At least two made it past the bag checker and then tried to stuff their oversized (even for regular bins) bags into the bins, then ended up 'hiding' them in their window bulkhead seats in front of them. Those too were eventually gate checked.

I don't agree with NEK forcing those of us with ultra-light bags which meet the limits to gate check, but if people insist on bringing bags which are obviously many cms and kgs over the stated limit for LH, and bringing more than 2 bags, I have no issue at all with them being forced to gate check those bags.

I had a lot of intra-US flying in the last few weeks and forgot what a drama boarding is there due to oversize/too many bags. Even as a UA 1K who boarded amongst the first few passengers on my flights in F I struggled to find a space for my less than full Travelite Delite.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Flew on AC and LOT to Ukraine a few weeks ago in Y. AC has a 10kg+10kg carry on limit, while lot has a 6kg total. Flew out fine, no problems. On the return, weighed my bag and told it was too heavy (about 12 kg). I tried to tell the agent it was the same bag I flew out on, and my Eticket said the rules of the first airline (AC) apply to the entire journey. She shook her head, and said "NO". I argued, and she finally asked what AC's limit was. I told her, and she, without looking into it, said "impossible". She ended up making me check my roller, but upgraded me on the first leg (45 min turboprop flight to WAW) so that I could carry my smaller duffel all the way home (it was a wild 8 kg, filled with dirty laundry....but within the C limit). I wasn't happy to say the least.

My companion, who checked in right after me, had a bigger bag, which was expanded. She had no problems. I don't think the agent liked me very much. She thought I was a "Bad boy".
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by exbayern
I don't agree with NEK forcing those of us with ultra-light bags which meet the limits to gate check, but if people insist on bringing bags which are obviously many cms and kgs over the stated limit for LH, and bringing more than 2 bags, I have no issue at all with them being forced to gate check those bags.
Most here agree with enforcing size and quantity limits. The big issue is LH enforcing the weight limit which doesn't make much sense and makes life harder for everyone. This is where LH could adopt a more customer friendly policy.

Originally Posted by nave888
Flew on AC and LOT to Ukraine a few weeks ago in Y. AC has a 10kg+10kg carry on limit, while lot has a 6kg total. Flew out fine, no problems. On the return, weighed my bag and told it was too heavy (about 12 kg). I tried to tell the agent it was the same bag I flew out on, and my Eticket said the rules of the first airline (AC) apply to the entire journey. She shook her head, and said "NO". I argued, and she finally asked what AC's limit was. I told her, and she, without looking into it, said "impossible". She ended up making me check my roller, but upgraded me on the first leg (45 min turboprop flight to WAW) so that I could carry my smaller duffel all the way home (it was a wild 8 kg, filled with dirty laundry....but within the C limit). I wasn't happy to say the least.

My companion, who checked in right after me, had a bigger bag, which was expanded. She had no problems. I don't think the agent liked me very much. She thought I was a "Bad boy".
Welcome to FT, nave888!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:48 am

I see the problem with the electronic one carries to business meetings etc which they don't cover when in the check in.......Just my small netbook, the printer (without the bat) and the stick weighs about 6Kg never mind the meds or the change of clothing one should carryon due to the lost luggage element.

Yes I have lost my luggage twice in the last 12 months (once it only turned up at home and never made it to my destination.)
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA1K 2MM and more
Question Where do you get your gate checked bag?

I'm flying LAX to LHR to MUC and back.

LAX to LHR is on UA. LHR to MUC is LH.

If I get stopped at the gate because of these new rules and have to check one of my carry-ons, do I get it as I get off the plane or does it get put down into baggage?

My big issue is I'm carry > 1 laptop for work and checking is not an option for obvious reasons.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Most here agree with enforcing size and quantity limits. The big issue is LH enforcing the weight limit which doesn't make much sense and makes life harder for everyone.
True, but there are also many here asking about the US size carry ons, which may not fit in the NEK bins.

Yesterday we were delayed at boarding, and again on the bus, for the person who had a carry on which may have barely been US acceptable (it was bulging, too) but which didn't fit into the bin. He had to push and shove and apparently couldn't get it back out of the bin as the bus was fully loaded and we waited for a few minutes before he appeared, as the very last passenger.

Most of the people I see having to check bags at FRA seem to be coming from US flights, and to those asking here about US standards they would do to be cautious and not assume that they will fit into the NEK bins.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dawg1k
If I get stopped at the gate because of these new rules and have to check one of my carry-ons, do I get it as I get off the plane or does it get put down into baggage?

My big issue is I'm carry > 1 laptop for work and checking is not an option for obvious reasons.
What do people do on regional jets that don't fit standard carry-ons in the US? Take out the important stuff!

It comes out with regular baggage on the belt. I hope your "big issue" is no larger than 17" diagonal screen * 3.

If overzealous agents tell me my carry-on is too heavy, I explain that it's really just a couple of computers and I would take them out anyway (I rarely carry over 10kg anyway). They usually back down. If not, ask them for a plastic bag to put the computers in, then they'll probably back down!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.