Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
LH's hand luggage regulations do not specify anything about is the height, length or width of the luggage. As long as the three sides are within 55cm x 40cm x 23cm you will be fine. As I said already the shape of the luggage doesn't matter.
I never thought of it like that lol
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:59 am

Size but not weight

I have a bag that meets the size for carry on, but I don't know if I can get it down to 8 kg (18 lb.) as listed on the Lufthansa site. Does Lufthansa actually weigh carry on bags?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by savagerider
I have a bag that meets the size for carry on, but I don't know if I can get it down to 8 kg (18 lb.) as listed on the Lufthansa site. Does Lufthansa actually weigh carry on bags?

My point of reference is from ORD.

I would say its a 50/50 chance. Especially if you line up in the economy boarding lines. If you have any status, and can board with the elite groups, I would stand in that line! They typically won't bother anyone there.

If you can't board with elite groups, then I WOULD NOT stand near the LH ground agents too much before boarding time, especially if they are near the "Carry on template". The ground agents also carry a portable scale with them as well.

I've even seen situations where approved carry-ons were forced to be checked due to passenger loads (this on A340s and 747's no less!).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by savagerider
If you can get it to 10kg it will usually be OK.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:11 am

Just this morning, I was again forced to talk my way into getting my 2 pieces of hand luggage on the plane (travel suitcase that fits the sizes + laptop bag). My feeling is LH is getting more dilligent with their hand luggage rules. But its always down to the gate agents, sometimes they check every bag (especially contracted staff at outstations) and sometimes they bother at all and you have the feeling people (no offense, but particularily middle eastern and Indian families) are carrying their whole household as hand luggage..
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Depends a lot on the airport, however as long as your bag fits under the seat, it's normally accepted. If you board with the crowd & have checkedin online, even extra bag won't cause any problems in most cases. If you end up travelling with LH regional, then it might be different...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:59 am

Size and weight of laptop cases?

Flying Economy on LH from LHR to Mahe Seychelles via Frankfurt International. The flight from Frankfurt International is with Condor.

I will take one hand luggage and one laptop case. How likely is it that LH or Condor will weigh the laptop case and are their limitations on the size of this laptop case?

I'm not being ridiculous, it's a standard 15" Dell case, but will have several hard drives in there.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold
American sized luggage on LH

I will be flying LH in first/biz class - and have luggage that the US carriers allow. I know that LH is very strict about luggage weight in eco class.

Are they as strict in First and Business as they are in Economy? I don't like to check bags when I have multiple/tight connections, and it is a very big pain to have to do that halfway through the trip.

I have a standard 21" carryon and matching tote bag/purse. Carryon fits fine in overhead, tote fits under the seat.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You should be ok ... take a look in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...hlight=luggage
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: DL Gold
This weight thing has me quite worried. My bag without anything in it weighs 10lbs. I would think two pairs of jeans and one pair of shoes would pretty much put me over the edge of the 17lb weight limit. That's nuts!

Size wise- fine, weight-wise, most likely no.

I never ever have trouble getting the bag into the overhead bin on my own though.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:26 am

I actually tend to disagree. The baggage checkers seem to target US sized bags, in my experience. I don't know if they just know that it will be easier to find passengers coming to/from the US as their bags tend to be over, but at FRA they do seem to seek out the more obvious American travellers first. (Never hang about at the gate waiting to be amongst the first to board) And class doesn't make a difference except at ORD and perhaps a few other US stations. If you are flying from/through FRA expect to be targeted, and possibly at MUC as well.

Many times I have seen passengers arguing that they are in C but still have to check a carry on.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by exbayern
I actually tend to disagree. The baggage checkers seem to target US sized bags, in my experience. I don't know if they just know that it will be easier to find passengers coming to/from the US as their bags tend to be over, but at FRA they do seem to seek out the more obvious American travellers first. (Never hang about at the gate waiting to be amongst the first to board) And class doesn't make a difference except at ORD and perhaps a few other US stations. If you are flying from/through FRA expect to be targeted, and possibly at MUC as well.

Many times I have seen passengers arguing that they are in C but still have to check a carry on.
+1 and good advice! Though I have never had a problem at SFO - only when waiting to board in C at FRA.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Cannot understand the people that will try to take ridiculously sized bags as carry on - yes I am targeting American travellers with my question but only to understand the thinking behind it. Here is my perspective.

1. they are flying on LH and they don't charge for checked luggage
2. they have to go through immigration in any case when arriving in the US, so they will have to wait as it is, in the meantime their luggage will arrive on the belt ready for them to pick up. at maximum they will save 10 minutes - so in reality there is no real time advantage.
3. its really obnoxious when they slam their overweight bags into the overhead bins irrespective of whether or not they are even sitting there, denying the passenger sitting there access to his own overhead space. (personally I will remove someone's case and ask the FA to replace it or remove it as a potential security concern)

So why on earth or the celestial heavens would anyone want to inconvenience other passengers on purpose???? Maybe someone can illuminate this for me?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:56 am

Habit? no idea but I think that they are just trained to do so. My US flying is down 90 % but I am always shocked at the difference when I do fly in the US. I think it is part of what makes our flights more civilized with no carry on drama.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by exbayern
Habit? no idea but I think that they are just trained to do so. My US flying is down 90 % but I am always shocked at the difference when I do fly in the US. I think it is part of what makes our flights more civilized with no carry on drama.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.