FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:05 am
dawg1k

Programs: UA1K 2MM and more
Originally Posted by dre_techie
What do people do on regional jets that don't fit standard carry-ons in the US? Take out the important stuff!

It comes out with regular baggage on the belt. I hope your "big issue" is no larger than 17" diagonal screen * 3.

If overzealous agents tell me my carry-on is too heavy, I explain that it's really just a couple of computers and I would take them out anyway (I rarely carry over 10kg anyway). They usually back down. If not, ask them for a plastic bag to put the computers in, then they'll probably back down!
RE: Regional jets.

Honestly? I don't fly them. For example, I've stopped flying UA to SEA from LAX. I now fly Virgin or Alaska.

RE: what I'm carrying? On this trip two 15" Lenovo W520s, a 12" X61, an iPad, 4 TB External drive, couple other drives, cables, etc.

RE: my experience
At LHR, it turned out, BMI did the gate check-in. The woman asked me politely if I'd like to check my computer case. I sad "No, I have computer equipment".

She then gave me the "it's a full flight" line and told me the crew might make me. However, as *G, I got on right away, put my stuff up and no hassles.

Let's see how my departure from MUC on Saturday goes.