Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Warsaw [WAW]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by shuly
I read through most of this thread, I think I understand the procedure but am trying to assess my chances.

I will transit I->D (arriving from TLV on LO156, departing to PRG on LO521) with 45 minute connection time, single ticket, in business, hand luggage only.
Arriving on LO155, a B738, what are my chances of getting a gate (as opposed to a bus)? If it's a bus, is there special treatment of business pax?
Are lines for security long around 2:30 pm? I see two LOT widebodies landing within 10 minutes... Is there a fast track?
What about immigration? Are lines typically long? Fast track?

Thanks a lot,

Shuly
This should be okay in normal circumstances but with LOT you never know and nobody will be able to tell you at this stage what your chances are to dock on a gate (before the 737MAX started operating to/from London on a regular basis, the aircraft coming from Tel Aviv would normally operate the 279 Heathrow flight at 15:30 and it used be gate 9 times out of 10). Also, there's no fast track and queues at immigration could get painful at times (likewise, you could be through in less than 30 seconds). On the brighter side and as Fabo.sk suggested above, you should get a dedicated van on arrival (in case, needless to say, you arrive at a remote stand).

G
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:37 am

Thank you! That's reassuring.

Shuly
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by shuly
Thank you! That's reassuring.

Shuly
All ended well. We landed ten minutes early, it was a short taxi to the gate, and immigration and security were fast. Within 15 minutes from touchdown I was in the lounge. WAW is indeed a very east airport to transit in.

Shuly
CMK10 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:35 am

We plan to travel from FRA to NRT, via WAW, on LOT J cabin. However the connection time is only 45 minutes. Is that do-able?

We also have another option to get to Tokyo (HND), leaving FRA on CA, and fly via PEK. Which one is the better option? LOT J on 787, or CA J on 777. None of these option have direct aisle access, so seat-wise I think they're the same 2-2-2 arrangement (but different seats).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:06 am

Would your Frankfurt-Warsaw flight be operated by LOT or Lufthansa instead? Reason I’m asking is that LOT is particularly prone to delays (especially during peak season) and there’s a very good chance that the aircraft will park at a remote stand (worry not as you will get the ‘ad-hoc’ ground transfer as a business class passenger). Apart from that, 45 minutes at Warsaw, in normal circumstances and considering no security from Schengen to non-Schengen (passports only) is -generally speaking- a walk in the park. I would go for LOT’s Dreamliner.

G
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:12 pm

First time posting here!

I already have my flights booked from WAW to LHR which departs at 1825. (British airways)
I will have to make my way from Krakow to WAW for the flight and I am looking to book a separate LOT flight KRK to WAW which arrives at 1545.
This will mean I will have 2 hours 40 mins to transit at WAW (domestic to international non-schengen)

My question is - will there be enough time to make this transit given
1) The flight will be book on a separate ticket.
2) Transit is to a non-schengen area.
3) I will have luggage - so I will have to collect luggage and re-check in.

I have looked online and this flight seems to be delayed quite a bit (68% on time rate with average delays of 20 mins on flightstats)
I have seen comments that WAW is a small airport and connections seem relatively straightforward - but I am still worried about delays, immigration queues etc.

The other options will be to book an earlier KRK - WAW flight which arrives at 1310 (which gives me 3 hours 15 mins to transit. too much?) or to even take the express train from Krakow to Warsaw?

Happy to get any feedback from other familiar with this route or the airport. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Welcome to Flyertalk, Rsbey!

One question: is your LHR flight at 1825 or 1625? You give two different times but from what you've said it looks like 1825.

If it's 1825 then 2h40m is an eternity at WAW. Even though the KRK-WAW flight is a short one you it also has around 10 minutes of padding (look at the arrival times of the inbound at WAW rather than the outbound at KRK). Your flight would have to be well over an hour late from KRK for you to start sweating.

If your LHR flight is 1625 then you'd definitely want the 1310 arrival.

Last edited by yurtripper; Mar 11, 2019 at 6:48 am Reason: Addressed issue of two different times given by OP
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Welcome to Flyertalk, Rsbey!

One question: is your LHR flight at 1825 or 1625? You give two different times but from what you've said it looks like 1825.

If it's 1825 then 2h40m is an eternity at WAW. Even though the KRK-WAW flight is a short one you it also has around 10 minutes of padding (look at the arrival times of the inbound at WAW rather than the outbound at KRK). Your flight would have to be well over an hour late from KRK for you to start sweating.

If your LHR flight is 1625 then you'd definitely want the 1310 arrival.
Sorry my first post did not appear after I had hit "submit reply" (not knowing that it has to be approved by a moderator) and I panicked and retyped another post quickly, making a typo as a result!
I had meant my flight WAW to LHR will be leaving at 1825
The duplicate post with the typo has now been deleted. Apologies for the confusion.

And thank you for your reassurance! It is good to know that 2h 40m is sufficient time to transit at WAW!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:53 am

Tbs - waw - lon

I'm looking at LO itineraries for TBS to LON. There is only 1 flight per day from TBS, arriving in WAW at 06:40 (LO 724). The connection time in WAW is 40 minutes for LCY (LO 287) or 50 minutes for LHR (LO 281).

1. LO 724 from TBS has rather dismal on time stats. Is this due to winter weather? Can I expect better performance in late May?

2. Any recommendation as to which LON flight gives me a better chance of making the connection?

3. If I miss my connecting flight, will LO rebook me on BA, or only on LO?

4. Given the high chance of misconnect, I'd prefer to not check my bag if possible. Does LO usually weigh carry on bags at check in?

I'm Star Alliance Gold if it matters. Thanks for any advice.

Edit: Typo in flight number

Last edited by SF_trotter; Mar 23, 2019 at 11:44 am
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
I'm looking at LO itineraries for TBS to LON. There is only 1 flight per day from TBS, arriving in WAW at 06:40 (LO 724). The connection time in WAW is 40 minutes for LCY (LO 287) or 50 minutes for LHR (LO 281).

1. LO 724 from TBS has rather dismal on time stats. Is this due to winter weather? Can I expect better performance in late May?

2. Any recommendation as to which LON flight gives me a better chance of making the connection?

3. If I miss my connecting flight, will LO rebook me on BA, or only on LO?

4. Given the high chance of misconnect, I'd prefer to not check my bag if possible. Does LO usually weigh carry on bags at check in?

I'm Star Alliance Gold if it matters. Thanks for any advice.

Edit: Typo in flight number
LOT has had operational issues [leading to chronic delays] for quite some time now, nothing to do with the winter weather (bizarrely enough and considering the harsh winters in that part of the world, their on-time performance tends to get better during the ‘cold months’), the recent grounding of the 737 MAX aircraft hasn’t helped either. That said, 40 minutes [in normal circumstances] would be plenty of time at WAW (mostly considering that you will be transferring within the non-Schengen side) however, given the circumstances and provided you have no ‘favourite choice’ of some sort when it comes to choosing LCY over LHR (and vice-versa), I would probably go with the latter and indeed the slightly longer connection (it’s just 10 minutes but, in case of a slight delay and with risk of compromising the connection, I’ve found that even seconds count). Concerning the alternative flights in case you don’t make it: I was once put on the evening’s BA service but they (LOT) had cancelled the last flight of the day to LHR hence I guess there was a cost element (i.e. hotel and the likes) in the mix. Lastly, I had my carry-on checked weight-wise at a number of outstations, no idea whether that’s standard modus-operandi at TBS, though.

G
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:26 pm

Thanks, AlicorporateUK. All else being equal I'd prefer LCY over LHR like all sane poeple (especially with the upcoming Brexipocalypse), but my priority here would be to avoid a misconnect. Looks like the LHR flight also has the "advantage" of being late more frequently. I ask about BA because it has a flight at 11:50 whereas the next LO flight to LHR is at 15:30. Hopefully it won't come to that.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:59 pm

Hi.
I'm flying from Lviv to Warsaw to Toronto with two young kids. Our layover time is 1hr20min. Both flights are with LOT on same tickets. I've never been to Warsaw airport. Could someone be kind enough to explain to me the different areas we need to go to ...someone mentioned "go left" ..lots of people are mentioning busses .Sounds a bit confusing to me being an anxious flyer. Will we make our connection ?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
1hr 20 is plenty of time to make a connection in warsaw. provided your 1st flight is not significantly delayed you will make your connection

it is an easy airport to make a connection as there is just one terminal.

people talk about buses because lot planes often park on the apron and you get bussed to the terminal, especially from some of lots smaller aircraft. its really nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:27 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
(especially during peak season)

Statistics also confirm this trend: https://www.claimcompass.eu/en/airli...#airlineTable1

Link is from the AC forum where folks discussing AC's terrible OTP - AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP
Old May 4, 2019, 8:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vmmj
Hi.
I'm flying from Lviv to Warsaw to Toronto with two young kids. Our layover time is 1hr20min. Both flights are with LOT on same tickets. I've never been to Warsaw airport. Could someone be kind enough to explain to me the different areas we need to go to ...someone mentioned "go left" ..lots of people are mentioning busses .Sounds a bit confusing to me being an anxious flyer. Will we make our connection ?
It's possible your plane from Lviv will not get a gate with a jetway but be parked on a hard stand and then you'll be bused to the terminal. Once there you'll "turn left" to follow the signs to the gate area international flights depart from. It's at the far end of the concourse through passport control. It should be pretty easy, I managed to do it on a scheduled 30 minute connection including the bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.