Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Warsaw [WAW]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
WAW is a small airport and you would be OK, no transfer security needed during Schengen-Schengen transfers.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:26 am

Dear blue2002 and ISTFlyer,

Thank you both for your inputs.

Yes, no transfer security )) Just hoping that the luggage would generally make a 30min connection.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You never know, but at least it would be delivered to you afterwards fairly quickly.

I would never go for the 3h20m connection (rather than a 30min) out of concerns that luggage will not make the transfer.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jan 7, 2020 at 11:16 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:02 am

If You dont make connection you will booked for next flight and maybe compensation....
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:21 am

Dear SK AAR and Garimi,

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

I guess my concern is not that I'll miss the flight (there is another flight a few hours later which is no problem to be bumped to), but that at WAW, my luggage would (more often than not) not make the 30min connection. I could not wait until the next day to receive it as I have a rehearsal the next morning and I doubt they'd deliver it same-evening (?).

So, was just seeing if anyone else had common experiences here at WAW )) - I know there are always exceptions :P
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Noted, but why don't you bring the stuff that absolutely need the following day in your hand luggage?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Noted, but why don't you bring the stuff that absolutely need the following day in your hand luggage?
Very simple... my conducting batons are often not allowed in hand luggage (some airports say they are a dangerous item and have confiscated them in the past) and the large A3 conducting scores alone weigh 12kg. Add to that my laptop and other things, and it becomes rather impossible in economy class :P I'm waiting for the day of a private jet I'm going to be waiting for eternity on that one.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by maestro1981
Very simple... my conducting batons are often not allowed in hand luggage (some airports say they are a dangerous item and have confiscated them in the past) and the large A3 conducting scores alone weigh 12kg. Add to that my laptop and other things, and it becomes rather impossible in economy class :P I'm waiting for the day of a private jet I'm going to be waiting for eternity on that one.
That's a fair concern then. I would then go with the longer connection, just in case.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s an all Y itin?

You could easily get away with the lot in hand baggage. You could also fly Ryanair or LOT on the GDN-KRK then go by ground to KRK.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:01 am

Dear hugolover,

Originally Posted by hugolover
It’s an all Y itin?
Yes.

You could easily get away with the lot in hand baggage.
May I ask how? Please see post #11.

You could also fly Ryanair or LOT on the GDN-KRK then go by ground to KRK.
Unfortunately, my contract stipulates that ground transfers can only be made from KTW, but I appreciate your suggestion!
Old Jan 3, 2021, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
What about a long connection at WAW? Not sure where to post some of the Corona questions in the Miles & More forum, but how practical would a connection through WAW be on LOT which involved an overnight stay? Totally impossible at the moment, with the likelihood of LOT refusing boarding, let along entry to Poland being refused? In which case, why are LOT offering the ticket for sale, but that is another subject and discussion.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
What about a long connection at WAW? Not sure where to post some of the Corona questions in the Miles & More forum, but how practical would a connection through WAW be on LOT which involved an overnight stay? Totally impossible at the moment, with the likelihood of LOT refusing boarding, let along entry to Poland being refused? In which case, why are LOT offering the ticket for sale, but that is another subject and discussion.
If you are a Polish citizen or an EU citizen, it should be possible to transfer overnight at WAW.
If you're ineligible to enter Poland, you would be denied boarding at your first point of departure.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a UK citizen with a Swiss residence permit, on my way to Zurich. It feels a bit uncertain, so I will be better off booking a direct flight, I think.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
I'm a UK citizen with a Swiss residence permit, on my way to Zurich. It feels a bit uncertain, so I will be better off booking a direct flight, I think.
You could transfer overnight at Poland on your way to Switzerland from the UK but during your overnight, you would need to self-isolate yourself at your hotel. You are technically not permitted to go out and wander around during your overnight layover.

Also, LOT would not pay for the hotel and it would be on your own expense thus a direct flight or connecting from another airport on a day-itinerary might be cheaper.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I wouldn't be coming from the UK, I would actually originate in Germany. Thanks very much, though, for having given this some thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.